Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wallace's Comfort Level
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Balta1701-B
I'm hoping pieces like this one are excellent signs for the future of this team.
All parties said and did the right things after Wallace's blatant act of insubordination last Nov. 25 in Madison Square Garden, when he openly defied a team rule banning headbands and coach Scott Skiles benched him.

But in his most expansive comments since the incident, he admits publicly what he shared privately with close friends and ex-teammates.

"Sometimes last year, I know it might not have been said, but it felt like a tug-of-war," Wallace said. "So this means a lot. It definitely helps me to relax a little bit more knowing I have my coaching staff and organization and teammates behind me. It just makes you want to go the extra mile and do whatever you can do to help the organization."

Maybe it's symbolic, like the preferential treatment on the no-headband rule. Sometimes, it's subtle, like Wallace calling the Bulls "we" instead of "they," as he did last training camp.

But even though he insisted he fit in last season, it certainly feels as if Wallace has reached a higher comfort level this October. He knows his teammates. He knows his coaches. He knows his rules—and his role.

This comfort level shows in instances like him cracking up hysterically after slipping and falling on a defensive drill, allowing Andres Nocioni to blow by him and Skiles and teammates to blow him up with taunts.

It shows in him pulling aside second-year forward Tyrus Thomas and rookie Joakim Noah for pointers, as he did during a recent practice.

Despite his reputation as the poster child for some great Pistons teams, Wallace never has been very vocal. He still isn't, but he also knows when to pick his spots.

"I know these guys now, know what makes them tick," Wallace said. "I can pick up the phone and call a couple of guys and ask, 'Did you see this? Did you see that?' It makes it easier for you once you feel that comfort level with these guys to where you can communicate with them both on and off the court."

Critics accused Wallace of everything from coasting to cozying up to his former Pistons teammates last season, the latter situation heightened and made even more awkward in a postseason matchup.

Wallace insists the criticism didn't and doesn't affect him. That some called him overpaid isn't his fault; even Bulls management knows it threw a ton of money at a player who is still important but no longer invincible. That's what it takes for a team with a bushel of salary-cap money to pry the face of the franchise away from a divisional rival.

Wallace averaged 10.7 rebounds, two blocks and 1.4 steals last season, his fourth straight in which those categories dropped. His defense against Shaquille O'Neal in the first-round sweep of the Heat drew praise. His steady if not spectacular play against the Pistons did not.

"You can't just talk about numbers when you talk about Ben," guard Kirk Hinrich said. "He does so many little things for us. He gives us a presence defensively. He tips balls. He keeps possessions alive. He sets screens well. We can run offense through him. He's still a great basketball player."

Wallace turned 33 last month and has accumulated more than 28,000 minutes in his 11 seasons of regular- and postseason play. It's possible his numbers could dip again this season. It's also possible they won't.

No matter what, Wallace is excited about a season where he isn't asked in every city about leaving the Pistons. He's a veteran Bull now, and he's eager to help continue the franchise's turnaround.
Schalke
This just shows that Wallace is a bigger baby than I thought. It's pretty sad that it takes a headband to make somebody "go the extra mile."
Wanne
QUOTE (Schalke @ Oct 7 2007, 03:42 PM) *
This just shows that Wallace is a bigger baby than I thought. It's pretty sad that it takes a headband to make somebody "go the extra mile."

As a lot of NBA players are. I think this showed more that Skiles isn't a control freak and is able to be a little flexible. It's about the team. I expect great things from Wallace this year since he's another year removed from still thinking he's a Piston (which I thought was a bit of a problem last year). He's a Bull now. Wallace is more a team player than Kobe is btw....
Chicago Bulls Franchise
I don't think its so much with the headband, but more of a trust thing. Wouldn't you want to have a good comfort level at work with your bosses? He just needed some evidence of that and got it from the Headband removal rule.
Schalke
QUOTE (Wanne @ Oct 7 2007, 04:36 PM) *
As a lot of NBA players are. I think this showed more that Skiles isn't a control freak and is able to be a little flexible. It's about the team. I expect great things from Wallace this year since he's another year removed from still thinking he's a Piston (which I thought was a bit of a problem last year). He's a Bull now. Wallace is more a team player than Kobe is btw....

I think the rule was put in for a good reason. A couple of years went by, nobody complained, so the rule was basically forgotten. If Wallace would have just went to Pax and Skiles I'm sure they would have allowed him to wear it. Instead he decides to take it public by wearing the stupid thing during a game. Pax and Skiles couldn't change the rule right then because that would be giving into one player.

And I don't what this has to do with Kobe. Paxson was more of a team player than Jordan. I think you can guess which one I'd take on my team.
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Oct 8 2007, 12:02 AM) *
I don't think its so much with the headband, but more of a trust thing. Wouldn't you want to have a good comfort level at work with your bosses? He just needed some evidence of that and got it from the Headband removal rule.

Excellent post. It shows respect on both parties account. The Bulls didn't have to change the rule, and Wallace could have thrown a temper tantrum and fought about the rule more than just the one time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.