Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sam Smith bashes Thomas, floats Noah as starter
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Balta1701-B
Well, I wonder who's been talking to him to get him writing this article. It sure sounds like someone has been.
The Bulls appear similar to the Mavericks when they broke through a few years ago. They did it with defense and depth and waves of interchangeable players, including Dirk Nowitzki, the reigning MVP despite a first-round playoff flop. The Bulls will have a similar game plan, though I'm interested in the power forward position, where they exchanged P.J. Brown for Joe Smith.

Brown is a better post defender. Smith, one of the true gentlemen in the league, will score more and has a good shot. But he has had physical problems in recent years as he ages, and it's possible he'll be an early starter and not a finisher. One would assume Tyrus Thomas would emerge, though I'm looking for rookie Joakim Noah in that spot, even though he might make Tyson Chandler's jump shot look good.

Though he's a rookie, Noah is older than Thomas and has played in more big games, having won two NCAA titles at Florida. He has had problems with his shoulder, but he's a relentless competitor and has been a willing learner thus far, unlike Thomas.

Noah fits the Bulls' profile of a hard worker who will practice more than he's asked to. Thomas remains the exception. Not surprisingly, he disappointed the Bulls this summer by not working out here.

But I still wouldn't quarrel with picking him. At some point, you have to take a chance on talent, potentially great talent. It often comes with risks, but if it hits it can make a difference for a franchise.

Thomas has the kind of athletic talent no one else on the Bulls has. He can do things none of the others even dream about. But players with that kind of talent often take shortcuts, and Thomas does.

Players such as Deng, Gordon and Hinrich have to work for everything to be where they are, and they do. Players like Thomas can get there without working hard or even paying much attention. Often he doesn't. But you gasp at some of the things he does.

Noah can't afford to take a minute off, so he doesn't. Yes, you might wince watching him and Ben Wallace playing inside. Combined, they might not shoot 50 percent on free throws or score against one another playing one-on-one for an hour. But several coaches have told me they see Noah's hustle and relentless play annoying the heck out of players like Rasheed Wallace, Jermaine O'Neal and Randolph, who don't like a 6-11 gnat buzzing around them all game and running out on offense at every opportunity.

If Thomas played like Noah, it would be game over. No comparison. But he doesn't, and no one knows when or if he can. Though Noah's not an offensive post threat (who is on the Bulls?), he'll score on opportunity plays. You don't need to beat them with your starters alone.

If Noah had skipped his last season at Florida, the Bulls would have taken him No. 2 in the 2006 draft. Instead they got Thomas. It was a reasonable gamble, and now they have Noah as well. I look for Noah to make an impact with this team as a rookie. And perhaps help motivate Thomas to use more than his gifts.
madisonsmadhouse
I don't like hearing about players skipping workouts. Tyrus better be careful, or he is going to be get buried on the bench.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (madisonsmadhouse @ Oct 8 2007, 10:53 AM) *
I don't like hearing about players skipping workouts. Tyrus better be careful, or he is going to be get buried on the bench.

You took "skipping workouts" out of that? I've actually been surprised at the way the press tone on TT has turned in the past week or so, because it seems like the opposite of what we were hearing earlier in the summer. It sure sounded like he was working his tail off.
But it was a more mundane effort -- Thomas actually knocking down a couple of 15-foot jump shots -- that had defenders shaking their heads in Monday's Pepsi Pro Summer League in Orlando.

Thomas' improved outside shot hasn't come by accident. He said he's worked seven days a week so far this offseason, often staying in the gym until he makes 700 jump shots a day.

"I just want to use this week to get a lot better and put to use all the work that I've been putting in," said Thomas, the fourth overall pick of the 2006 NBA draft. "Everything that I've been working on, from my midrange game to my back-to-the-basket game, I'm trying to make them better this summer."

Indiana defeated Chicago 93-89 in the summer league opener Monday, but Thomas was clearly the best player on the floor. He made 6-of-13 shots and got to the free-throw line 10 times for 17 points overall. He also added seven rebounds, five blocked shots and two steals in one of the most complete performances of the day.

And Thomas did it even though he had to retreat to the training room in the third period after getting banged on the hip during -- what else? -- a dazzling blocked shot.

Somewhat undersized as a 6-foot-9, 215-pound power forward, Thomas knows that if he's going to become more of a scoring threat for the Bulls, he has to be able to hit the midrange shot. A threat to drive to the hoop at any time, Thomas made foes pay Monday when they backed off him and basically dared him to shoot. Knowing when to take that shot comes easier now that he's been in the league a year and played 72 games as a rookie, Thomas said. But that certainly wasn't the case this time last year.

"It was more just getting the feel of the game and knowing how to take my game to another level," said Thomas, referring to the transition to the NBA. "I know I still have a lot of stuff to work on, and I'm just keep trying to keep getting better."
ZoomSlowik
It does run contrary to basically everything we've heard. It is Sam Smith we're talking about here, but then again we normally just rip on him for trades. I gotta admit though, the team made the same complaints about Chandler his first several years as well.
TeaLeafReaderII
Its too bad he didn't work out at the Berto center... it would be sweet if Gordon and Deng's crazy work ethics had more of a chance to rub off on him. Still, its easy to forget that he is like 19 or 20. He is the youngest and most immature player on the team... Smith should give him a little more time before writing him off as a bad seed.
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Oct 8 2007, 01:16 PM) *
You took "skipping workouts" out of that? I've actually been surprised at the way the press tone on TT has turned in the past week or so, because it seems like the opposite of what we were hearing earlier in the summer. It sure sounded like he was working his tail off.

He didn't train here all summer. To me that is skipping workouts.
dasox24
I'll wait till I see Tyrus play before I judge him on whether or not he worked hard this summer. Just b/c he didn't work out in Chicago doesn't mean he didn't work out. However, not being in Chicago in the off-season seemed to really hurt Chandler when he was here, so I wish TT would have stayed in town.
eddog2
1st of all. Sam Smith has had it out for Tyrus and he hates players that don't kiss the media's ass. Tyrus definately doesn't do that. 2nd he just assumes that b/c Tyrus didn't work out in Chicago that he didn't work out. He may not have said that specifically but he says that Tyrus doesn't work and won't work like Noah.

Tyson never worked out in Chicago but on the court he definately tried. I wouldn't work out every day all day where the coach doesn't like me.

Anyway, Skiles has already said that Tyrus is definately better. Could he have been better had he stayed in Chicago and worked at the Berto? I'm sure he could have. Tyrus will be better this year. The only way he doesn't get better is if Skiles doesn't play him. If he gives Tyrus the Sweetney treatment. However, I don't think Paxson would let Skiles get away with that bs. The Bulls have too much invested in Tyrus to let him ride pine. He may not be in their future plans for the long run but he'll definately be in any trade talks they ever plan to have if they don't plan on keeping him.

I'm not worried about Tyrus. He's got at least 2 more full seasons here with the Bulls before I start worrying about him not becoming a better player. If in 2 years he is still at the level he was at last year then you should be worried about how he works out.
Steve9347
I don't see anything in that article that said Tyrus skipped a mandatory workout. If he wants to work out on his own somewhere else, that's his call.

I don't question Tyrus' workout, nor his dedication. The kid worked on his jumpshot all last year, and I think is going to be a great surprise this year. This Sam Smith article (these articles aren't even WORTH paying attention to, there's nothing to them) has no meat and potato facts about Tyrus. It's all speculation (like every article he writes) and should be ignored.
tomspy77
I like TT, I really do, as a player, but I would have liked him to have worked out here during the summer, it would have been good for the team concept and ethic, and thats certainly what the Bulls are built upon.
I do think TT might be a chemistry issue in the future, but hopefully hes just young. Hand me that amount of money in the days of my youth, and I'd probably be cocky as hell too! lol.

I do love the fact that he was hitting jumper in the summer league, if he can get that off, combined with his athletic skills, he will become quite deadly.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
Yeah and I garauntee you Smith has no idea if Tyrus has been working out or not. What a nut job this guy is..

Tyrus is going to be a good player, he's what 21 years old? He played an excellent game yesterday and had 13 points and 7 rebounds which is what I expect him to get stat wise in a full game this year maybe a tid bit lower. He is going to be a more polished player this year IMO. He will do some of the same things you saw last year but he will limit his fouls and his turnovers. I think your going to see a smarter player than you did last year. I think he will be able to bang with the bigger guys more often than last year with his added strength. Tyrus will be a consistant 10 ppg 6 rpg 1 bpg guy this season, atleast that is what I expect from him. Those 10 points probably will come from the free throw line mostly. I mean it, Tyrus has an uncanny ability to get to the line. That is something we have been lacking for some time now. You saw Ben Gordon get to the line quite often last year but Tyrus will get there more and from the first two preseason games I've seen it looks like he can be a 70-75% free throw shooter this year.

In year 3, I think he becomes the player we all hope he will be. This year he probably worked on polishing his game up a bit and try limiting the dumb mistakes he made in the past.
madisonsmadhouse
Dumb mistakes like not working out with your team? Eh, maybe I am wrong, but it sounds like Tyrus is just one of those guys who is in his own world.
TeaLeafReaderII
According to the tribune Skiles might be hinting at a deng-wallace-gray front court blink.gif
dasox24
QUOTE (TeaLeafReaderII @ Oct 22 2007, 11:59 PM) *
According to the tribune Skiles might be hinting at a deng-wallace-gray front court blink.gif

Well, that would be an interesting turn of events. If it actually happens, who would have imagined Smith, TT, and Noah all starting off on the bench?
madisonsmadhouse
I read that today... It has to be a big motivation attempt at the other big men. Either that or Skiles has gotten the idea to try to spark the offense right off of the tip off instead of trying to rally in the 4th quarter as has been their history.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.