Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spencer Hawes has knee surgery
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Balta1701-B
Well...once again, I may have to admit...Pax might well have known a few things I didn't.
Rather than prepare for tonight's exhibition opener against his hometown Sonics at ARCO Arena, Spencer Hawes is preparing for arthroscopic surgery on his left knee on Wednesday, which could end his rookie NBA season before it begins.

The best-case scenario for the Sacramento Kings' center is a two to four weeks' recovery, but given his history with knee problems, the Kings are unsure when he would be able to play. Hawes has had at least four procedures, including at least two scopes on the left knee.

"He will be evaluated after the first procedure," Kings spokesman Darrin May said in a telephone interview this morning. "I can't tell you how long he'll be out because I'm not a doctor. All I know is he's having arthroscopic surgery performed tomorrow and we'll take it from there."

Seahawks team physician Dr. Lawerence Holland, who has operated on Hawes in the past, will perform the surgery in Seattle.

Taken 10th overall in the draft, the 7-foot Hawes, 19, has been vague about his knee problems during his one-year with the Washington Huskies and while he was a standout at Seattle Prep. He told reporters in Sacramento that he underwent microfracture surgery when he was 14.

It's believed he had at least one procedure on his knee in high school and last year before the Husky season. The fear of another surgery may have prompted him to enter the draft with three years of eligibility remaining.

"He's a good kid and everyone here still feels good about taking him," May said.

Hawes has not practiced in training camp since twisting his knee Sept. 27 during a conditioning drill. He underwent two MRIs, which revealed loose cartilage.
Hawes out at least a month, potentially missing a good chunk of the season, and having a long history of knee injuries? That's certainly a reason to look at Noah in a better light.
ZoomSlowik
Interesting, I never recall hearing about the previous knee problems before, and I read a lot of crap before the draft. Obviously that's a huge red flag, and had I known that I never would have endorsed picking him. Microfracture surgery at 14, that's kinda scary.
madisonsmadhouse
Wow, those kind of knee histories in a seven footer really do make the pick of Noah much more understandable.
eddog2
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Oct 10 2007, 12:21 PM) *
Interesting, I never recall hearing about the previous knee problems before, and I read a lot of crap before the draft. Obviously that's a huge red flag, and had I known that I never would have endorsed picking him. Microfracture surgery at 14, that's kinda scary.

I am so happy. Happy that the Bulls did what I prayed they would do. Not that I cared if they drafted Noah but I sure didn't want Hawes. I was very, very, pleased when we drafted Noah instead of the great white hype. Hawes won't be half the player everyone on this board thought he would be. He was smart to leave after one year before his weaknesses were exposed in the college game.
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (eddog2 @ Oct 10 2007, 10:19 PM) *
I am so happy. Happy that the Bulls did what I prayed they would do. Not that I cared if they drafted Noah but I sure didn't want Hawes. I was very, very, pleased when we drafted Noah instead of the great white hype. Hawes won't be half the player everyone on this board thought he would be. He was smart to leave after one year before his weaknesses were exposed in the college game.

Eh, he's basically a white Roy Hibbert. He's been around a while and is still considered a potential lottery pick. Actually, his stock ROSE considerably despite his athletic limitations. Or if you want an NBA comparison Chris Mihm or Chris Kaman are fairly close, and both are fairly productive and went early in the draft. 7-footers that can score and hit mid-range jumpers are always going to be in demand, even if they aren't all that athletic. Barring injury he still would have been highly productive in college and garnered at least a mid-first pick.

I never said he was going to be an all-star, but for where we were picking a 12-7 type big man would be a pretty good grab, especially given our needs inside. He definitely has enough skill to do that relatively early in his career (though not as a rookie), though if his knees are really that bad, that's another story. I had no problem with taking Noah, I said a few times that I didn't have a strong opinion either way.
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Oct 11 2007, 12:39 AM) *
Eh, he's basically a white Roy Hibbert. He's been around a while and is still considered a potential lottery pick. Actually, his stock ROSE considerably despite his athletic limitations. Or if you want an NBA comparison Chris Mihm or Chris Kaman are fairly close, and both are fairly productive and went early in the draft. 7-footers that can score and hit mid-range jumpers are always going to be in demand, even if they aren't all that athletic. Barring injury he still would have been highly productive in college and garnered at least a mid-first pick.

I never said he was going to be an all-star, but for where we were picking a 12-7 type big man would be a pretty good grab, especially given our needs inside. He definitely has enough skill to do that relatively early in his career (though not as a rookie), though if his knees are really that bad, that's another story. I had no problem with taking Noah, I said a few times that I didn't have a strong opinion either way.

That is exactly how I feel/felt about it. Hawes would have filled our biggest need. If the Paxson/Skiles regime knew something we didn't good for them for sticking to their guns.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (madisonsmadhouse @ Oct 12 2007, 07:36 AM) *
That is exactly how I feel/felt about it. Hawes would have filled our biggest need. If the Paxson/Skiles regime knew something we didn't good for them for sticking to their guns.

And if the kid had microfracture surgery at 14 (hell, that was when the surgery was still fairly new), and they knew that, then they certainly knew something I didn't.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.