Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finally, a positive Thomas article
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Balta1701-B
This article struck me almost as a breath of fresh air after feeling like everyone in the Chicago media has been gunning for TT in the last week or so. Actually some positive quotes about him, and Skiles even saying he's the front runner to start currently.
For starters, coach Scott Skiles wanted to see a lot better effort from Tyrus Thomas in the Bulls' preseason-opening 93-88 loss to the Milwaukee Bucks on Tuesday.

''He and I spent a fair amount of time looking at his scrimmage,'' Skiles said of the video review from the session Sunday at the United Center. ''Basically, he made a couple of explosive plays, and the rest of the time he just stood around flat-footed, and looked out of gas. He knows staying focused every possession, staying in the plays, that's still a part of his game he needs a lot of work on. So it's an important exhibition season for him.''

Skiles started Thomas at power forward, the one spot that is up for grabs this training camp.

''We're looking for a starter and he gets first crack at it,'' Skiles said of Thomas, who will be battling Joe Smith, Joakim Noah, and Andres Nocioni for the opening. ''He was OK; his second half was better than the first. He's still learning. I know the ability that Tyrus has.''

Thomas knows Skiles is trying to get that ability to show itself more consistently.

''I don't think they're riding me,'' Thomas said. ''They see a lot in me. They told me I'm doing a great job right now in camp, but it's still not to my potential. So I just think they're trying to do all they can to get me to maximize my potential right now. I take it as motivation and I just look at is as they're concerned about me right now and they want to see the best of me.

''So I actually appreciate it. Because I don't think they would demand out of me more than what they think I can do. And the more they demand, I feel the better I can be.''

As for grabbing a role in the first five, Thomas (eight points, five rebounds, three fouls, three turnovers, two steals and a block in 21 minutes, 24 seconds Tuesday), is not making it a priority.

''I don't put a lot of emphasis on starting,'' he said. ''Right now my main focus is trying to come out and do what we're working on in practice and do what's going to help my team win and help me get more minutes.''
madisonsmadhouse
Geesh. after the Skiles comments, that could only be considered so "positive"
Schalke
Yeah I don't know how this is a positive article. Seems like everyone is painting Thomas to be lazy. We'll see if he'll prove them wrong.
ZoomSlowik
I wouldn't say this calls him lazy as much as it calls him undisciplined and lacking focus, at least on the floor. That I can buy, and can be fixed over time.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
After his first foul he looked really gassed to me, I dont know if it did to anyone else but he looks out of shape. I think Skiles pointed that out in one of the articles not too long ago. Usually you see the most improvement from someone in year 3 because there no longer rookies or sophomores who can get in slumps as we all know but there veterans. Im not trying to make excuses for Tyrus but I think his identity will be revealed next year not this year. That doesn't mean I still don't expect improvement because I do and last nights game reminded me alot of last year. He did finish that one spectacular jumping dunk attempt. I don't think last year he would have had the strength to finish that.

Positives for Tyrus last night:

+ Free Throws look much better. He shot 4/5 from the line and we all know that he creates problems when he's low in the post. Expect alot of free throw attempts this year from him so you would assume that he's working on those free throws because he expects the same thing. So far so good from there..

+ Strength. I can tell just by looking at him, he looks bigger on the court. I eluded to it earlier, the dunk attempt that he finished strongly was a prime example of his strength. He still isn't going to bully anybody around down low but he doesn't need to. His game is predicated on quickness and agility and the strength will help him stay in the paint for a longer duration and not get pushed around. It will also help his rebounding so that he can box out his defender a little better.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.