Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Deng and Gordon extension talks moving along
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
madisonsmadhouse
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-07...1&cset=true

Bulls trying to seal deals
Paxson wants Deng, Gordon for long term
By K.C. Johnson | Tribune staff reporter

Last October, Kirk Hinrich acknowledged that a one-on-one talk with general manager John Paxson — no agent, little agenda — on a team flight six days before the deadline had played a role in his agreeing to a five-year, $47.5 million contract extension.

Bulls fans won't have to wait long to see if a similar approach works this year.

With the Wednesday deadline for extensions looming, Paxson asked Luol Deng and Ben Gordon for one-on-one meetings to try to outline the Bulls' position in terms of their salary structure and the current restricted-free-agent market.

Deng, with the support of his agent, was scheduled to meet with Paxson on Sunday. But ended up attending the Bears game and working out late, pushing the discussion to Monday.

It's unclear whether Gordon will meet with Paxson.

The Bulls have talked parameters of five-year, $50 million deals with agents for both players. Deng offered at least a window into his thinking recently and perhaps indicated he'd sign if the Bulls slightly increased their financial commitment.

"If somebody had told me that at some point in my career, I'd make 'X' amount of dollars, of course you would take it," Deng said. "But it's a business, and you have to understand that negotiating is part of the situation."

The Deng negotiations have mirrored the Hinrich talks — initial pessimism despite cordial talks, a Paxson request for a meeting and at least a glimmer of hope a deal would get done.

No such optimism exists in the Gordon negotiations.

Crazier things have happened. But the two sides barely can agree on whether an official offer has been made, much less on the money.

Paxson has publicly said he won't lose either player for nothing. The Bulls own their rights for the next two seasons and can match any offer sheets they might receive as restricted free agents next summer, provided they extend the formality of a qualifying offer after this season.

Only the Magic's Dwight Howard, the Mavericks' Devin Harris and the Kings' Kevin Martin have signed extensions from the 2004 draft class, which included Deng and Gordon.

Paxson's negotiating philosophy follows the belief that an extension two seasons before it's mandatory has to involve some give-and-take. The money is guaranteed. A player's health and production isn't.

Hinrich, who has strong relationships with Gordon and Deng, has talked to both teammates about their situations.

"I just tried to share with them what I went through because I learned a lot about the business of the NBA," Hinrich said. "I told them not to let it weigh on their minds. Whether they sign or don't sign, they're going to have great careers and get their day. I told them to make sure not to let negotiations wear on them mentally, to go out and have fun and not worry about it."

That's easier said than done, obviously. In this age of big-money contracts, all players want what they consider market value.

A year later, Hinrich has no regrets about signing his deal, which some considered below market value.

"I'm just happy to be here," Hinrich said. "I want to stay in Chicago for my whole career. The security is great, obviously. But I love playing for the Bulls. That's where I started and where I want to finish."

Deng and Gordon have offered similar sentiments in the past.

kcjohnson@tribune.com

More articles
Chicago Bulls Franchise
In other words, Lu wants more money..
Steve9347
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Oct 29 2007, 04:20 PM) *
In other words, Lu wants more money..

Yeah... and he's smart to go for it, because signing a deal before what everyone sees as a great season coming up... he has to project what he thinks he'll be worth 4-5 years down the line.

Pay him, don't pay Gordon... keep Gordon available to be traded on December 15... grab some Kobe, Go Bulls, baby!
TeaLeafReaderII
It sounds like Lu is starting to be a little more flexible... Gordon... I'm not so sure about.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines
Chicago Bulls Franchise
They will resign Deng and not Gordon and then Gordon will sign a one year deal and become a restricted free agent after the 2008-2009 season unless he is involved in a Kobe trade.
madisonsmadhouse
No deals were done for either Gordon or Deng. They will now be able to become restricted free agents after this season.
TeaLeafReaderII
How could he honestly expect Deng to settle for 50 million? He will be looking at a max deal once he other teams can bid for his services... and their reports saying he would have taken 55... We'll have to wait and see what happens with all this trade BS.
Schalke
I don't get this. Reports are saying that they would have probably settled for 55-58 million. You take that and run with it; there's no way we get either of them for under 60 million next summer. The only reason why we wouldn't sign them now is to keep our options open for the Kobe trade. Otherwise it makes no sense.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (Schalke @ Nov 1 2007, 08:52 AM) *
I don't get this. Reports are saying that they would have probably settled for 55-58 million. You take that and run with it; there's no way we get either of them for under 60 million next summer. The only reason why we wouldn't sign them now is to keep our options open for the Kobe trade. Otherwise it makes no sense.

I think there's plenty of chances that we get them for that much next summer. They're RFA's, which means that all we have to do is do what we did with Chandler and what the Cavs are doing with their guys; make it well known that we'll match any offer they're given, and other teams seem content to stay away.

I think I like Pax's line of thought here. Extending their contracts now gives them an extra year of security, even if they do a Livingston on their knee or something like that. If they want the Bulls to give them that security, then they ought to give up something in the dollar end. If they're willing to wait and try to get a bigger contract later after hopefully improved performance and an NBA Finals run, so be it. Either way, the Bulls have the cash to pay them.
TeaLeafReaderII
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Nov 1 2007, 11:37 AM) *
I think there's plenty of chances that we get them for that much next summer. They're RFA's, which means that all we have to do is do what we did with Chandler and what the Cavs are doing with their guys; make it well known that we'll match any offer they're given, and other teams seem content to stay away.

I think I like Pax's line of thought here. Extending their contracts now gives them an extra year of security, even if they do a Livingston on their knee or something like that. If they want the Bulls to give them that security, then they ought to give up something in the dollar end. If they're willing to wait and try to get a bigger contract later after hopefully improved performance and an NBA Finals run, so be it. Either way, the Bulls have the cash to pay them.

I hope you're right... but Gordon and Deng are on the cusp of being all-stars... they are significantly better and have significantly more upside than the examples you just mentioned. Other teams aren't just going to sit on their hands... especially because they know there is no way the Bulls are going to pony up the cash to keep both of them with how much Reinsdorf loves the luxury tax.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (TeaLeafReaderII @ Nov 1 2007, 11:04 AM) *
I hope you're right... but Gordon and Deng are on the cusp of being all-stars... they are significantly better and have significantly more upside than the examples you just mentioned. Other teams aren't just going to sit on their hands... especially because they know there is no way the Bulls are going to pony up the cash to keep both of them with how much Reinsdorf loves the luxury tax.

If the Bulls don't pony up the cash for both of them, then what we get back in a sign and trade better be equally valuable, given how profitable this team has to have been for the past 10 years. I keep pointing this out but I think it's important; this team was a disaster for 6 years or so, had virtually no high priced guys anywhere, but yet kept selling out the stadium and raking in money because of the Jordan years and the hangover from them. The Bulls have the biggest capacity stadium in the NBA. There is no excuse for JR not to go into Luxury tax territory to keep this team together if that's the best option. None at all.
Schalke
Rein$dorf is cheap. The Bulls are the most profitable team in the NBA, yet he won't pay luxury tax. That means no Kobe, and a GOOD chance that we lose one of Gordon/Deng next summer.

"We're not going to do [the luxury tax] this year or any other year," Paxson said. "That's a component again that people don't understand. It's not about not being interested. It's about that there's not a deal to be done."

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...bulls-headlines
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.