Full Version: Bulls back to AM1000
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
madisonsmadhouse
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-07...3&cset=true

Bulls making an 'MVP move
Back on AM radio this year as WCKG mulls format change
By Ed Sherman | Tribune sports media reporter
9:24 PM CDT, October 26, 2007

The Bulls are returning to their old radio home.

The team will announce next week it has signed a five-year deal with WMVP-AM 1000 beginning with Wednesday night's opener.

The Bulls are leaving WCKG-FM 105.9 after one year because the station reportedly is planning a format change.

Instead of WMVP paying the Bulls a rights fee, the team will take the package "in house," essentially buying time on the station and then selling its own ads. The setup, which the Bulls started last year for radio, was considered profitable for the team, generating a reported $2 million in income.

The Bulls had a long relationship with WMVP dating to the heyday of the Michael Jordan era in the 1990s. The rights fee, peaking at $4 million per year, was considered the best in the NBA.

However, when Jordan retired the Bulls went through several lean years, and the team's radio ratings plummeted. As a result, WMVP took a financial beating.

When the contract expired after the 2005-06 season, negotiations produced no deal. So the Bulls then decided to take a gamble by going away from a traditional AM outlet and hook up with an FM station.

The Bulls had planned to be on WCKG again this year, but talks about a new format for the station led the team to find a new outlet less than a week before the start of the season.

Returning to WMVP should be a good move for the Bulls. They should benefit by again being aligned with an all-sports station, which will give them heavy promotion among sports listeners throughout the day. Also, WMVP's stronger signal will allow the Bulls to be heard for greater distances.

Neil Funk and Bill Wennington still will be on the call when the Bulls open the season Wednesday night at New Jersey.

esherman@tribune.com
Steve9347
awesome, i can continue to lose reception for home bulls games everytime I am more than 40 miles away from the city. flock that.
kyyle23
QUOTE (steve9347 @ Oct 29 2007, 01:55 PM) *
awesome, i can continue to lose reception for home bulls games everytime I am more than 40 miles away from the city. flock that.

What? i could get reception all the way to Tuscola, IL(4 hours south) while traveling south to Carbondale, and sometimes I could pick up reception at nighttime while in Carbondale. if you are only 40 miles away and cant get reception, something is up with your AM reception. AM signals are supposed to be much stronger that FM signals, switching back to WMVP should be good for us all
TeaLeafReaderII
If I remember correctly, I used to be able to get Bulls games as far as the mississippi when I was driving back and forth to college and they were on WMVP. It was the crummy station they were on last year that I could barely get outside of chicago proper.

During the playoffs, when the Sox were still on WMVP, my cousin claimed that if he drove to the top of a hill in Vermont he could just barely get the ESPN 1000 coverage. AM is much much better then FM. Plus, just being on a sports only station will be a huge bonus in terms of coverage and pre and post game shows.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.