Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pau Gasol
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Steve9347
With Memphis struggling (and the Bulls, obviously), do we have what it takes to get a deal done for Gasol? They previously demanded Deng which we all know would end trade talks with Pax, but could they seroiusly turn down an offer of Kirk and Tyrus for Gasol?

We've got the pieces to make a quality offer, and Gasol would obviously fit right into this team.

Thoughts of possibilities?

"SAVE ME FROM MEMPHIS!"
TeaLeafReaderII
Swap kirk for Gordon or deng and they might think about. Right now they are really deep at point guard... and as a shooting guard Kirk doesn't have much value.
ZoomSlowik
He's off to a mediocre start, but I'd still want him. He gives you that inside scoring and an awful lot of length. The D is kind of iffy, but hopefully with Wallace you can cover that a bit.

Price is another issue though, I don't know exactly what the right fit is.

I'd think they'd probably pass on Kirk, his contract is bigger than they'd want and they have Lowry splitting time with Navarro right now (which is pretty effective) and Conley waiting in the wings. I'm sure they'd take Deng, but we're obviously attached to him and they already have Rudy Gay at SF, who's a developing beast (of course he does play some 4 with Darko out, especially in their faster paced attack, though that's far from ideal). Gordon is probably the best fit, though that depends on their long-term plans with Gay's position and what they do with Mike Miller. Would Noc interest them? I know they like him, but he doesn't really seem to have a place with Gay and Miller on the roster, and Hakeem Warrick isn't really getting as minutes as he should. None of those guys seem like the PERFECT fit.

Tyrus would definitely be a major piece, you could slide him in at the 4 between Gay and Milicic and have a pretty athletic front line with a lot of upside. I'd think his value has dropped a bit so far this year though. I don't know how much more we'd have to add to get Gasol. Would Tyrus, Noah, and some salary filler like Duhon be enough to entice them to deal a somewhat disgruntled Gasol? I doubt it, which means factoring in the guys in the previous paragraph somehow.
Steve9347
QUOTE (TeaLeafReaderII @ Nov 28 2007, 02:13 PM) *
Swap kirk for Gordon or deng and they might think about. Right now they are really deep at point guard... and as a shooting guard Kirk doesn't have much value.

That's a very good point, they are three deep at point guard and i should have put some more thought into it.

Gordon + Tyurs + a pick give me Gasol. I'd like to keep Deng for the 3.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (steve9347 @ Nov 28 2007, 01:17 PM) *
That's a very good point, they are three deep at point guard and i should have put some more thought into it.

Gordon + Tyurs + a pick give me Gasol. I'd like to keep Deng for the 3.

Isn't 95% of the point of even going after Gasol the belief that a guy like Gordon, with a dagger of an outside shot, would be an ideal counterpart to him?
MB33
i would keep gordon if we get gasol.He will definitely free up a lot of shots from the perimeter.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
I'm pretty sure they want both Deng and Gordon, so no.. UNLESS they include others like Conley and Mike Miller. Gordon and Deng are the freaking offense for this ball club, without them, we are the 98 or 99 team (forget which one) that one like 15 games in a season.
Steve9347
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Nov 28 2007, 03:55 PM) *
Isn't 95% of the point of even going after Gasol the belief that a guy like Gordon, with a dagger of an outside shot, would be an ideal counterpart to him?

minimum youd have to give up one of deng or gordon though...
eddog2
Navarro came here to play with Gasol. I think if you deal Gasol Navarro has to be part of the package.

I say we trade Kirk, Gordon, & Tyrus for Gasol & Navarro.

We then have the following lineup

Wallace/Noah
Gasol/Smith
Deng/Nocioni
Thabo
Navarro/Duhon

I think Navarro might be just as good an outside shooter as Gordon. But he doesn't have as good of an overall offensive game. Neither he nor Thabo are true PG's but both can handle the ball enough to get it down the court and find the open man. We then are no longer undersized in the paint or backcourt.

The only problem I have with this deal is how are we any better than Memphis was with Gasol? This looks a lot like Memphis's current lineup except Rudy Gay is Deng and we have no Mike Miller. The only benefit I see we have is that Wallace would play much better next to a post player like Gasol then he does with no post player.

If we made the deal I would still hope we lose every game the rest of the year and get a top 3 pick b/c I don't think we'd be good enough with the lineup I listed above to win a title.

However, if we could add one more legit scorer at the SG/PG spot either in free agency or through the draft I think we'd be pretty good.

In the East, against most teams I'd even like a lineup of

Gasol
Nocioni
Deng
Thabo
Navarro
Balta1701-B
I've asked in other threads and I feel the need to ask here...what has Thabo showed us that suggests he is ready not only to be a starting guard, but to also be a starting point guard?
eddog2
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Nov 28 2007, 06:10 PM) *
I've asked in other threads and I feel the need to ask here...what has Thabo showed us that suggests he is ready not only to be a starting guard, but to also be a starting point guard?

Unfortunately he hasn't. I wanted the Bulls to draft Ronnie Brewer. He has shown he can be a starting SG and good defender. Unfortunately, other than the Miami series, Thabo hasn't shown much.

But Kirk isn't showing much either.

The only way I see the Bulls getting to where they need to be is by clearing enough cap room to get a star, or by losing every game to get a star in the draft. Since I don't see them losing enough b/c they'll find a way to win games and probably make the playoffs, I guess this cycle of being good but not good enough will continue for years to come.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
What about Kirk Hinrich for Ronnie Brewer + Filler?
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Nov 28 2007, 09:34 PM) *
What about Kirk Hinrich for Ronnie Brewer + Filler?

You do realize that they have Deron Williams, right? blink.gif
eddog2
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Nov 28 2007, 10:51 PM) *
You do realize that they have Deron Williams, right? blink.gif

He's saying that Kirk could be their SG. Or even as a backup PG that's still pretty good. I don't think a Kirk for Brewer deal would make sense. Unless of course we got some kind of expiring contract.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (eddog2 @ Nov 28 2007, 11:35 PM) *
He's saying that Kirk could be their SG. Or even as a backup PG that's still pretty good. I don't think a Kirk for Brewer deal would make sense. Unless of course we got some kind of expiring contract.

Exactly
ZoomSlowik
That's a REALLY big contract for a backup PG, and for what they need Brewer is a much better fit at the two (although if something were to happen to Williams Kirk could probably run the pick and roll fairly well).
MB33
lets just do something to get him without giving up thomas or deng
soxfan101
I have no problems losing Thomas if it helps us land Gasol. If we dont reverse this losing soon, because we only play bobcats and hawks so much I think we will also have to start looking towards next year too. Because right now we looking at a top draft pick in a draft loaded with guards.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (soxfan101 @ Dec 6 2007, 06:27 PM) *
I have no problems losing Thomas if it helps us land Gasol. If we dont reverse this losing soon, because we only play bobcats and hawks so much I think we will also have to start looking towards next year too. Because right now we looking at a top draft pick in a draft loaded with guards.

Right now, the only 2 guys I wouldn't be willing to part with period for a Gasol are Gordon and Deng...because 95% of the point of getting Gasol is that Gordon and Deng will be effective playing off of him. Naturally I'm not saying I'd part with everything else, but even I'll have to admit we have to consider it. Especially if all Thomas is doing is playing 6 minutes per game right now.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
I almost hope we trade Tyrus and he is even better than Tyson just to prove that Skiles is the worst big man coach we've ever had.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.