Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chi-town's Top 50 All-Time
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Chi-town23-33
Don't know if you guys remember this, but I posted this a while back. I have been keeping track of it and making revisions. The list goes past 50, but I'll stick to 50 for now. Tell me what you think.

(1) Michael Jordan bullssmilie1.jpg
(2) Wilt Chamberlain
(3) Magic Johnson
(4) Larry Bird
(5) Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
(6) Bill Russell
(7) Hakeem Olajuwon
(8) Tim Duncan*
(9) Shaquille O'Neal*
(10) Oscar Robertson
(11) Jerry West
(12) Julius Erving
(13) Karl Malone
(14) Elgin Baylor
(15) Bob Pettit
(16) John Havlicek
(17) Moses Malone
(18) Rick Barry
(19) Isiah Thomas
(20) John Stockton
(21) Charles Barkley
(22) Bob Cousy
(23) George Mikan
(24) Elvin Hayes
(25) Walt Frazier
(26) Kobe Bryant*
(27) David Robinson
(28) George Gervin
(29) Patrick Ewing
(30) Scottie Pippen bullssmilie1.jpg
(31) Dolph Schayes
(32) Dave Cowens
(33) Willis Reed
(34) Clyde Drexler
(35) Paul Arizin
(36) Dominique Wilkins
(37) Kevin Garnett*
(38) Kevin McHale
(39) Wes Unseld
(40) Jason Kidd*
(41) Allen Iverson*
(42) Jerry Lucas
(43) Nate Thurmond
(44) Tiny Archibald
(45) Hal Greer
(46) Gary Payton
(47) Billy Cunningham
(48) Pete Maravich
(49) Dave DeBuscherre
(50) Earl Monroe

Kobe will be move up 1 or 2 spots by the end of the year. Garnett can move up a lot or not at all depending on how this season unfolds. Kidd, Iverson, Payton, Shaq appear to be done. Duncan could move up more with another title.
ZoomSlowik
It's a good list, I've only got a couple of minor comments:

-I said this last time, but I can't put The Round Mound of Rebound ahead of Ewing or Robinson. I know last time you said it's because he was a unique player, but those other guys were just about as deadly offensively (Charles did have an absurd FG% in his prime), just as good on the boards, and much bigger difference makers on the defensive end.

-I'm not quite as high on Duncan. I understand why he's up there, you can't argue with the results. He's obviously great and belongs near the top. I can't quite put him at 8 though for the same reason that Bill Russell isn't in the top-5. I'll admit I tend to lean more towards stats than intangibles, but he just hasn't quite been dominant enough to be top-10 in my book. If you look at the guys just below him like Shaq, The Big O, The Logo and Dr. J, those were all guys that could beat you by themselves on a fairly regular basis, and outside of West they all changed the game. Duncan hasn't quite been that kind of player. I'd personally slide him down below those guys, and 12 is still pretty damn high.
eddog2
I love how high you have Hakeem.

I think Lebron needs to be on the list. He'll finish his career in the top 15 for sure maybe even top 5 (or #1).

Also I might be blind but I didn't see Steve Nash on the list. If Jason Kidd and his sub 40 FG% can be on the list then Nash has to be. I really don't think Jason Kidd should be higher than Pistol Pete.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y5KAaercTI

Pistol Pete. One of the best ever.
Chi-town23-33
Under my approach to evaluating players, Barkley finished higher than Robinson and Ewing. It involves a lot of different factors, and Barkley shined just a little more than Robinson or Ewing taking a holistic approach to the subject. Robinson really would have ended up much higher (Frazier and Reed as well) had he not suffered that injury back in 1996. Ewing was just always a step behind it seemed of the other big centers of the time (Olajuwon, Shaq, Robinson). Also, it took him a good time before he became an elite rebounder at the center position.

Pistol Pete is another one who lost his career to injury, but unlike many of the others, he had not really accomplished anything. He is on the list for his impact alone, because that is really all he has to fall back on. College is not considered, this is a ranking of pro players, the best of the best, so that can't help Pistol Pete's stock either. I've watched a lot of old games and videos and highlights and I will say this. Talent-wise, Maravich is one of the 10 best players to play in the league.

Duncan I feel should definitely be top 10. 4 titles as the best player on his team. 22/12/3 for his career plus incredible intangibles and defensive presence. I really can't argue against him. His stats really are not all that inferior to other people, and his intangibles allowed him to change the game quietly. He changes the game more without making a blip on the stat sheet than anyone in the league right now. In comparison, there are players with numbers who have less impact on the game. And of course, he always was a dominant player in the playoffs.

LeBron should not be on the list. Why? Because when I made it I stipulated that players must be in their sixth year of play if active. This is LeBron's fifth year. I will tell you that I've been cheating a bit with him (I've been moving him up as his career moves along). If he continues at his current pace, even if he doesn't win a title, he will be up there next to Karl Malone and Elgin Baylor. Not bad at all.

Steve Nash = #60. Considering he was nowhere near the list three years ago, I'd say that is a steady improvement. If he can win a title, it would cause him to rise immensely, as he will already be moving up this year with another All-Star and All-NBA First Team selection. Kidd has done what Nash has done only 8 years longer. Big edge there. Even with his mediocre shooting percentage, he was a Top 5 NBA Player for about a decade.

Hope more people decide to post. It's fun talking about this stuff.
eddog2
I've always been one who believed Dennis Rodman was one of the 50 greatest players ever. He will never get on the list but I think he was undervalued and underappreciated.

If T-Mac wins a title will you put him on the list? I definately feel he is one of the greats to ever lace them up. If Grant Hill hadn't gotten hurt he'd deserve a spot on the list as well.

Actually no, let me refrase that. Tracy McGrady is one of the top 50 players ever. I don't care if he has a bad back. 23.5 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 4.6 apg, 1.4 spg (and those #'s are low b/c you have to average in 2 seasons where he was straight out of high school playing low minutes). To average 25+, 6 & 6 you have to be a special player.
madisonsmadhouse
How could penalize Maravich for injuries, then make a case for McGrady?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.