Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chandler Won't Miss Game Due To Birth
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Pippen Aint Easy
Chandler won’t miss playoffs for first born
By Mike McGraw
Daily Herald Sports Writer
Posted Thursday, April 20, 2006

The playoffs are supposed to bring extra distractions, but Tyson Chandler has his plate particularly full.

Chandler’s wife, Kimberly, will give birth to the couple’s first child any day, and the Bulls are scheduled to play Game 1 of their series against Miami on Saturday.

Chandler said Wednesday the decision has already been made: He will not miss a playoff game for the birth of his daughter.

“Obviously, I want to be there,” he said. “I love my family and I want to be there because it’s a special moment. But if it’s in the middle of a game, I’ll finish the game out, then get there as quickly as possible.”

Even if Chandler gets word that his wife is in labor one morning and a road game is scheduled that night, he plans to stay with the team.

“I’ve got to play the game and try to get back,” he said. “It’s tough, but it is what it is. There’s nothing you can do about it, it just happened that way. I feel like everything will be OK. Definitely I won’t miss a game.”

Chandler is the Bulls’ only player taller than 6-feet-10 beyond rookie Luke Schenscher, and they’ll be trying to deal with massive Miami center Shaquille O’Neal.

Songaila return unlikely: The Bulls must identify the 13 players to be included on their playoff roster by this afternoon. Coach Scott Skiles doesn’t think injured forward Darius Songaila (broken foot) will be on it.

“I’d have to say it’s unlikely,” Skiles said. “I think it’s healing nicely and he could possibly play in the second round. But we can’t eat up a roster spot waiting for the second round.

“Especially with (Chris Duhon’s) back situation and Malik (Allen) has a back (problem), we need to make sure our roster has enough guys that if somebody goes down in the first series, we have enough bodies to play with.”

Songaila, who averaged 9.2 points, has been out since March 10 but may be able to resume physical activity soon. He has the option of becoming a free agent this summer.

Defense doesn’t quit: The Bulls wrapped up their second-straight season of leading the NBA in defensive field-goal percentage. Opponents shot 42.6 percent against the Bulls. Houston finished second at 42.9 percent.

“It means that the guys are working very hard at it and it’s paying off,” coach Scott Skiles said of the achievement. “There’s no magic in that, really. We have a system that we teach and the guys spend the time getting it done.”

The Bulls are the first team to lead the league in this category since San Antonio from 1997-99.

“I bet nobody’s done it with a team this young,” Skiles said. “When you think about that, it’s a great accomplishment for a young team.”

Good boy, Tyson!
syxx
I guess this is good news, with him we barely have any good big men, without him we pretty much have none...Especially against Miami we are going to need everything we have to pull some games out...
texsox
priorities
Bullieve It
WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO WITHOUT SONGIALA
BuLLzDoMaIn
QUOTE (Bullieve It @ Apr 20 2006, 08:50 PM)
WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO WITHOUT SONGIALA

Yeah when is he comen back huh.gif

But its good to see tyson wont miss the game. We do need him.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (BuLLzDoMaIn @ Apr 20 2006, 10:27 PM)
Yeah when is he comen back huh.gif

But its good to see tyson wont miss the game. We do need him.

First off, Welcome to TalkBulls! cheers.gif

Second, I believe Songaila is out for the playoffs as well so we wont see him until next year. That is, unless the Bulls dont pick up his option. But I am not sure whether it is player or team.

Lastly, it is definitely big for us to have Tyson. Although Shaw is like 242935 times bigger, Tyson will be needed to contest all those shots from Shaq and all the drives Dwyane Wade will attempt.
Chisoxfn
The Bulls indicated that Songalia would likely miss the first round of the playoffs. My guess is he won't be back until next year.
Jeckle2000
I wonder how his wife feels about this... ph34r.gif
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (Jeckle2000 @ Apr 21 2006, 01:26 AM)
I wonder how his wife feels about this... ph34r.gif

I'm sure $60 million soothes the pain a little bit for her...
Cute Little Bulls Fan
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 21 2006, 06:19 AM)
I'm sure $60 million soothes the pain a little bit for her...

Im sure she knew this might happen when she married him. But seeing that i am a woman myself..i would be pissed, but i'd get over it pretty fast... haha yeah $60 million will do that for you...
thats nice that he wont bail on the team for something as big as your first child's birth. bullssmilie1.jpg
CubbiesFan07
Atta boy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.