Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: List of free-agent big men looks quite small to Bu
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Chisoxfn
Bulls coach Scott Skiles claimed he doesn’t spend any time casually assessing the value of players who will become free agents this summer.

“When it comes to my job, there isn’t a whole lot I’m doing in a casual manner,” Skiles said. “When I’m scouting an opponent or looking at an opponent, I’m looking at everything. I’m not focused in on one guy, other than how to stop somebody.

“Truthfully, I’m not even thinking about that stuff yet. It will work itself out when the season’s over. I didn’t know we had cap space until you just told me.”

That last line was a joke. Of course Skiles knows the Bulls will have $15-20 million to spend on free agents this summer.

They had a good look at two over the weekend, facing 6-foot-9 Atlanta forward Al Harrington (32 points, 10 rebounds) on Saturday and perimeter-oriented Clippers forward Vladimir Radmanovic (14 points, 6 rebounds) on Friday.

By all accounts, the free-agent class of 2006 is not strong. The biggest names among unrestricted free agents are Harrington, Detroit’s Ben Wallace, Indiana’s Peja Stojakovic and Dallas’ Jason Terry.

Heading into the season, the list appeared to be unusually deep with big men, one of the Bulls’ glaring needs. But most of those future free agents are having disappointing seasons.

A case in point is Portland’s 7-1 Joel Przybilla, who is not expected to play tonight against the Bulls because of right knee tendinitis. His numbers (6.4 points, 6.8 rebounds, 2.4 blocks) are down slightly from last season.

The Bulls did have some discussions about trading for Przybilla, a Minnesota native, last month and there is a good chance he'll be invited to visit the Berto Center this summer.

Nearly all of the free-agent big men are posting statistics that represent a drop from their career averages, which obviously raises the question of how much money would the Bulls want to throw at any of these guys — even if they are considered potential backups.

San Antonio’s Nazr Mohammed is averaging 5.7 points and 5.0 rebounds. Memphis’ Lorenzen Wright is at 5.0 points and 4.9 rebounds. Boston’s Michael Olowokandi (5.1, 4.8), Utah’s Jarron Collins (5.8, 4.6), Utah’s Greg Ostertag (2.6, 4.0) and Indiana’s Scot Pollard (4.2, 5.2) also fit the category.

One of the few examples of a free-agent big man having a better-than-average year is Orlando’s Tony Battie (7.8, 6.0).

Even some of the restricted free agents are having rough seasons. Denver’s Nene suffered a knee injury on opening night and has been out ever since. Cleveland’s Drew Gooden (10.8, 8.7) isn’t seeing the ball as much. Seattle’s Chris Wilcox (6.1, 4.0) was having a miserable year with the Clippers, but he has improved since being sent to the Sonics.

Charlotte’s Melvin Ely (10.1, 5.3) is one restricted free agent who has shown some improvement.

Bulls general manager John Paxson has acknowledged that this year’s free-agent class is not particularly strong and said he’ll consider using the team’s cap space in a trade. Harrington, Nene and Gooden figure to be the Bulls’ primary targets.

Don't know if anyone saw this, but its a solid article talking about some of the FA possibilities. I do know Paxson said that the Bulls would not only look at FA, but they'd also be looking hard at potential trading partners.
FromWayDowntown
Ben Wallace baby!!! cheers.gif
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (FromWayDowntown @ Mar 14 2006, 09:30 PM)
Ben Wallace baby!!! cheers.gif

Welcome aboard. Wallace would be an insane acquisition. However with the way Detroits playing there is no way they will let him walk. Plus they can offer him more money than anyone else.
FromWayDowntown
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are not the Pistons near their salary cap? I thought I head that on the 4-letter network.....
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (FromWayDowntown @ Mar 14 2006, 09:40 PM)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are not the Pistons near their salary cap? I thought I head that on the 4-letter network.....

Even if they are near the salary cap, the Larry Bird rule allows them to spend as much as they want (within the yearly salary restrictions for a player) to resign him. However if the team salary is greater than a certain point, they will have to pay luxury tax.
soxfan101
Even though some people dont like it.... I think Al Harrington will be wearing a Bulls jersey next season for better or for worse.
mac9001
QUOTE (soxfan101 @ Mar 15 2006, 12:09 AM)
Even though some people dont like it.... I think Al Harrington will be wearing a Bulls jersey next season for better or for worse.

It's pretty sad, but Harrington and Drew Gooden are probably the two best "attainable" FAs on the market.
nitetrain8601
Harrington, Nene and Gooden do nothing for me. I think it's wasted cash if they sign any of them.
soxfan101
Nene is way overated..... He is going to get a max contract or close to it and he has done nothing to earn to.... less so than Chandler.
The Dude Abides
Harrington would be a good pick up. Wallace would be 1st choice, but he will probably stay in Det...
nitetrain8601
QUOTE (The Dude Abides @ Mar 16 2006, 10:09 PM)
Harrington would be a good pick up. Wallace would be 1st choice, but he will probably stay in Det...

Harrington doesn't do anything Deng or Noc do. He just gets more shot attempts. He doesn't play in the post even though he starts at PF. Most of his offensive game is facing the basket(like Fizer) and his defense is non-existant. Plus supposedly he wants to go to NY now.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 17 2006, 01:23 PM)
Plus supposedly he wants to go to NY now.

Max contract to sit on your arse...who the Hell wouldn't want to go to NY?
CryptViLL
B. Wallace, or hopefully hte guy from the spurs.
Mahamad(sp?)
madisonsmadhouse
Ben Wallace would be awful expensive when we have a similar guy in Tyson signed for 6 years. Yeah Wallace is better but for that much money, we could find something we need more.
bulls91
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 14 2006, 11:31 PM)
Welcome aboard. Wallace would be an insane acquisition. However with the way Detroits playing there is no way they will let him walk. Plus they can offer him more money than anyone else.

how old is wallace he would be a great fit but we need someone that will be here for a few years.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.