Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Luol Deng...future SF or SG starter???
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
FromWayDowntown
My two cents.

I think Luol has the athleticism, size (definitely) and adequate speed to play the 2-guard and to develop into a lock-down defender. In the last few regular season games, when Nitro Noc was playing the 3, Deng was on the floor as well and did very, very well.

What do you all think about Deng being our future 2-guard?

I know that most will say that we have a 2-guard in Ben Gordon. That is very true, however when size becomes important, Deng can fill in the 2 with Noc at the 3.

I'm also thinking in terms of this coming year's draft, and who the Bulls might go after. They have some very good options on the board, and for the life of me, I really see the Bulls getting to bigs, a PF and a C or two PFs, say, LaMarcus Aldridge and Josh Boone (if he slips to where the Bulls have their 2nd pick in the first round.). This means Deng can be at the 2 and Noc will have the full time starting role at the 3, while Aldridge or Boone can step in at the 4 and Chandler can be at the 5.

What do you guys think about Deng being at the two permanently?
JPargo
Deng would be great for us at the 2 spot but he does need to get hes shot percentage up. I dont think Deng will ever become a 3pt shooter but if he can sink that 15-20ft jumper constantly than i could see he palying good minutes at the SG i dont think that Deng would be a starting 2 he plays well at the 3
sport1016
deng should absolutely become the starting 2 guard for two reasons.

1) Both he and Noc have proven that they should start and we are small with noc at PF

2) Bringing in another SG via draft or FA or trade would be bad for Ben Gordon, deng, and noc. If this draft and off season solely focuses on getting talented bigs, then between gordon, deng, and noc no one will be buried on the depth chart. Two of the three would start and the other would be (along with Duhon) the first guy off the bench. If we get a SG this offseason, it will not be one that is good enough (perennial all-star) for that not to be a problem. We are definately taking a big man with our top pick, and there won't be a star SG at the 16th pick. Also, in order to get an established star SG, we'd have to break up our nucleus with a trade.

If we get a SG this offseason, unless its jason richardson or ray allen, he's only going to be decent and will only be useful bc of his height. Therefore he would take minutes from the two guard spot and significantly limit the flexibility of the rotation and therefore minutes for the other three.

If we need a tall two-guard, Deng is the in-house answer bc he will allow ben and noc and himself to all still play significant minutes. All three are too good to only play 20 mins a game.
bulls91
i think that he would also be a good 2 guard but he would need to increase his speed and also his shooting he posseses the presence to drive and all the stuff that the two guard has to do. I think it would be a smooth transition but it would take some work in the off-season.
madisonsmadhouse
Deng is a such a bad shooter from 20 feet plus, he would have to work hard at it, plus he would have to get quicker to get the two guards on defense. It would be nice, but I think it is asking too much, especially from a team already loaded with guards.
nitetrain8601
When Noc is in, him and Deng are switching off at the 4. When you see either guarding a 2, it's simply because there was a switch on defense or there was a fastbreak being defended. Deng doesn't have the speed in my mind to be a starting 2-guard. He could get away with it for short spurts in games, but overall, he would get killed. He's the starter at SF and the future at that position for us. Gordon is the future at SG unless the Bulls were to get a Wade/LeBron(which I don't see happening).
The Dude Abides
QUOTE (FromWayDowntown @ Apr 22 2006, 01:13 PM)
My two cents.

I think Luol has the athleticism, size (definitely) and adequate speed to play the 2-guard and to develop into a lock-down defender. In the last few regular season games, when Nitro Noc was playing the 3, Deng was on the floor as well and did very, very well.

What do you all think about Deng being our future 2-guard?

I know that most will say that we have a 2-guard in Ben Gordon. That is very true, however when size becomes important, Deng can fill in the 2 with Noc at the 3.

I'm also thinking in terms of this coming year's draft, and who the Bulls might go after. They have some very good options on the board, and for the life of me, I really see the Bulls getting to bigs, a PF and a C or two PFs, say, LaMarcus Aldridge and Josh Boone (if he slips to where the Bulls have their 2nd pick in the first round.). This means Deng can be at the 2 and Noc will have the full time starting role at the 3, while Aldridge or Boone can step in at the 4 and Chandler can be at the 5.

What do you guys think about Deng being at the two permanently?

I really like that idea a ton! I think he needs to work on a few things this summer...like quickness, outside shooting and maybe low post play...but I think we would be deadly with him at the 2 and Noch at the 3...however...Gordon has been playing great lately. He outplayed everyone tonight. He is only going to get better. In fact, the ball should have been in his hands the last 4 plays against miami...not hinrichs.
The Dude Abides
QUOTE (sport1016 @ Apr 22 2006, 03:06 PM)
deng should absolutely become the starting 2 guard for two reasons.

1) Both he and Noc have proven that they should start and we are small with noc at PF

2) Bringing in another SG via draft or FA or trade would be bad for Ben Gordon, deng, and noc. If this draft and off season solely focuses on getting talented bigs, then between gordon, deng, and noc no one will be buried on the depth chart. Two of the three would start and the other would be (along with Duhon) the first guy off the bench. If we get a SG this offseason, it will not be one that is good enough (perennial all-star) for that not to be a problem. We are definately taking a big man with our top pick, and there won't be a star SG at the 16th pick. Also, in order to get an established star SG, we'd have to break up our nucleus with a trade.

If we get a SG this offseason, unless its jason richardson or ray allen, he's only going to be decent and will only be useful bc of his height. Therefore he would take minutes from the two guard spot and significantly limit the flexibility of the rotation and therefore minutes for the other three.

If we need a tall two-guard, Deng is the in-house answer bc he will allow ben and noc and himself to all still play significant minutes. All three are too good to only play 20 mins a game.

One point is dead on...We need at least 2...maybe 3 quality low post big men in the offseason before we would even consider a guard. Chandler is garbage and should be the 8-9th guy off the bench.
ZoomSlowik
Deng is not really a two guard by any stretch of the imagination. He'd have to improve his shooting and ball-handling quite a bit, and even then he might not be quick enough to guard real SG's.

He's a natural SF, we're going to have to deal with it.
Bullies4Life
I agree.... If Deng learns how to dribble low, maybe he could get minutes at the SG position... But i think that it will depend alot on who Deng has to guard, because Deng is quick, but not that quick....
Bullies4Ever
I say SF..... he can become pretty good at defending SG.... but he can become great at guarding the SF's... so i say stick him at SF.. his natural position where he can be closer to the rim to grab more rebounds other than staying staying to box-out the shooting guards
Bullies4Ever
there are some small sg that would burn Deng off the dribble.... and yeah.. he can probably create a lot of mismatches on the offensive court but....but id rather be a defensive team.... where u always have a sg guarding and putting a lot of pressure against another sg.... defense comes first for me.. im sure well still be able to score points anyways.... because the bulls have shown they can execute very well....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.