Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Report: Tribune buys out Sam Smith.
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Balta1701-B
Link.
Paper cuts: Business columnist Bill Barnhart, real estate columnist Mary Umberger, City Hall reporter Gary Washburn, travel writer Alan Solomon and basketball expert Sam Smith are among 25 veteran Chicago Tribune writers and editors to take voluntary buyouts, costing the newsroom centuries of experience but sparing it further layoffs in this round of cutbacks.

The exits are part of a plan announced in February to eliminate about 100 jobs throughout the paper, or about 3.5 percent of its overall workforce, as parent Tribune Co. responds to revenue declines by shedding at least 400 or 500 positions by the end of this month.
dasox24
Well, as crazy as some of his trade ideas and articles are, I think I might miss Sam Smith's writing. At least he keeps it interesting for the fans and gives us stuff to talk about...
Steve9347
This sucks. As far as basketball writing goes (ignoring trade ideas of course) he was by far the best in town. He'll get picked up by a National Media outlet for sure. I'm sad to see him gone.
ChitownMan
This really sucks, for me when it comes to basketball and following our team Sam definitely had a unique perspective to share. While I did not always agree with Sam, his writing is enjoyable. Now I wonder who we are going to be stuck with that has the experience that Sam does. I don't know about the rest of you however, I am getting over Sam Zell as being the owner of the Tribune.
eddog2
He Gone!

The only thing I'm going to miss is all the trade speculation. As everyone has probably noticed, I am like Sam Smith in that respect.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.