Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Official "Declaring for the Draft" thread
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Balta1701-B
Figured we ought to keep track.

The Lopez boys from Stanford declared a week ago.

Eric Gordon Declared today.
SoxFan1
Jerred Bayless declared yesterday.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
Eric Gordon declared a few days ago.
Balta1701-B
UCLA's Love, Collison reportedly ready to declare.
ZoomSlowik
Chase Budinger and Marresse Speights have also declared, though supposedly neither is hiring an agent immediately.
DutheDoduhon21
espn says collison is denying he declared to go pro, but he probably will anyway
dasox24
Texas A&M's DeAndre Jordan and Syracuse's Donte Greene have both declared for the draft, but have not signed with agents yet.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/8005086...clare-for-draft
Chicago Bulls Franchise
While he will be a good young prospect for the future, DeAndre Jordan didn't prove a thing in college and by him coming out I think he made a mistake, but I'm not DeAndre Jordan and I'd probably take the money too, if ya know what I mean..
Balta1701-B
Mayo In.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Apr 9 2008, 09:45 PM) *
While he will be a good young prospect for the future, DeAndre Jordan didn't prove a thing in college and by him coming out I think he made a mistake, but I'm not DeAndre Jordan and I'd probably take the money too, if ya know what I mean..

So who's your guy in this year's draft CBF? Randolph? Westbrook?
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 10 2008, 01:46 AM) *
So who's your guy in this year's draft CBF? Randolph? Westbrook?

I really like Westbrook because of his ability to penetrate and put some points on the board. I'm not real high on any of the bigs like Jordan, Lopez, Hibbert, or Thabeet; they all have their flaws and deficiencies. I'd like to know more about Randolph, they list him at 6'10 and he averaged 16 a game for LSU. I wonder what kind of offensive potential he has.
eddog2
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Apr 10 2008, 04:43 PM) *
I really like Westbrook because of his ability to penetrate and put some points on the board. I'm not real high on any of the bigs like Jordan, Lopez, Hibbert, or Thabeet; they all have their flaws and deficiencies. I'd like to know more about Randolph, they list him at 6'10 and he averaged 16 a game for LSU. I wonder what kind of offensive potential he has.

I'd love to get Randolph but we'd have to trade Deng first and I don't see that happening. Randolph is a very tall SF not a PF. He'd get pushed around like a little girl down low with his 200 pound frame. If you are 6'10 and only 200 pounds that usually means you will never be a beast in terms of size. He will likely always stay skinny like Teyshaun Prince. However, with that being said, I don't think he's going to be a bust. I think he has star potential and at worst will be a very serviceable SF in the league. He's quick, rebounds well, shoots left handed, and is pretty atheltic to go with his incredible length. Those things will all make him a very good player at the next level. If he can improve his 3 points shooting he'll have the potential to be a great player or someone very good like Rashard Lewis. But for that to happen he's going to have to spend a lot of time in the gym.
ZoomSlowik
I don't know about Randolph. He definitely has impressive physical gifts which gives him some nice upside, but he really seems like a classic tweener. He's far too skinny to be a real banger inside, and at least right now he's way too turnover prone and doesn't have enough range on his jumper to be a productive SF, and does most of his work around the basket in college. It looks like it'd take considerable work for him to fit in as a SF, and he'd need to add 30 pounds for him to have a chance to be a Chris Bosh or LaMarcus Aldridge type big man. He'd be a much better fit on a running team where he can still be a factor as a finisher while avoiding a lot of the banging. He could be a stud, or he could struggle to take advantage of his physical gifts like Tyrus, Darius Miles, Stromile Swift, or so many others. As of right now he doesn't really have a solid spot to slide into on the roster either. Tyrus kind of fills that same kind of role right now (he's clearly more skilled, but isn't as tough), Deng is entrenched at SF, and you have Noah and Gooden inside as well (not to mention Noc, who I hope they move).

I'm not a particularly big fan of anyone in this draft outside of Rose or Beasley though. Randolph could easily be the best prospect when our pick rolls around, though I think I'd rather take Westbrook personally. Yeah, he needs some work to be a real passing PG and that's an iffy proposition, but he can easily be somewhere between Ronnie Brewer and Rajon Rondo even assuming he never really develops a solid jumper or becomes a real floor general. If we move Noc and another one of those 4 frontcourt players that drastically changes things though.
bschmaranz
Am I the only one that would love to see us add Brook Lopez? I was talking to a buddy of mine the other day and he thought I was an absolute nut for thinking that. He kept bringing up the name "Chris Mihm", completely different player in my opinion.
Balta1701-B
Beasley in
DutheDoduhon21
what is beasley laughing about at the beginning of the press conference? he said something about the paper and thats all i got.
Balta1701-B
Rose in.
soxfan3530
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Apr 15 2008, 10:05 AM) *

The Bulls future point guard is in!!!! headbang.gif
SoxFan1
QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ Apr 15 2008, 11:59 AM) *
The Bulls future point guard is in!!!! headbang.gif

We can only hope.

As far as some of the prospects, if we don't somehow get Rose, I'd want Augustin or Westbrook next. Jordan doesn't even need to be in lottery discussion. Randolph...well, I can't handle another undersized SF/PF athlete from LSU, 1 is enough, thanks. If we draft Brook Lope, it means we've given up on Tyrus, which isn't a terrible thing to me. A Noah/Lopez front-court duo could be very good in 2 or 3 years. Bayless is too much like Ben Gordon for my taste, as is OJ Mayo...though I wouldn't pass on him if he was there for us. He's got some kind of talent.
eddog2
QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Apr 12 2008, 01:29 AM) *
Am I the only one that would love to see us add Brook Lopez? I was talking to a buddy of mine the other day and he thought I was an absolute nut for thinking that. He kept bringing up the name "Chris Mihm", completely different player in my opinion.

Brook Lopez sucks. He'll be a decent big man in the NBA but nothing special. People are always looking for the next Hakeem, the next Duncan, the next Dwight Howard but they just don't come along that often. The NBA of draft of the 80's probably won't ever happen again. When you think that Hakeem, Ewing, Robinson, Malone, Barkley, & Daugherty. There probably won't be another 5 year stretch where we get that many quality big men that are ready to come into the NBA and produce/dominate from day 1. Dwight Howard was the last can't miss # 1's and can't miss top 3 for that matter.

Top 3 picks should be used on can't miss prospects if there are any or on the most potential. Teams need to quit taking big men too high just because they fear an unproven player will become a great big man on someone elses team or because they don't need to fill a hole even though they know the player won't be great. Top 3 picks or top 5 for that matter shouldn't be wasted.

The 2006 draft was a good example of that. Bargnani was taken b/c people feared he'd be the next Dirk, Aldridge was taken because of his potential and he might pay off, Tyrus was taken 4th b/c of potential and that may or may not pay off. Any of those teams could have taken them more sure player in Brandon Roy (except Portland got lucky or played their cards right and got both players they wanted). Can you imagine how much better the Bulls & Raptors would have been with Roy instead of Bargnani or Tyrus. But the biggest joke of all was Atlanta's stretch at 5 for Sheldon Williams. I know they didn't need another wing player, but Gay would have been better or they could have traded down or traded the pick in a package for a PG.

Andrew Bogut and Marvin Williams were a joke 1, 2 as well. But I guess they didn't see either Williams or Paul being such studs at the NBA level.

So in the past 5 years, Dwight Howard, Bosh, Oden, & Yao Ming highlight the top big men in the top 3. The verdicts still out on Oden but you can say that with the exception of Howard none of the others can even dream of being on the same level at the end of their career as Hakeem, Ewing, Robinson, Malone, or Barkley. Those players were legends. That NBA doesn't exist anymore and I doubt we'll see that many great big men enter the game in a 4 year stretch.

The lesson should have been learned long ago. Take the can't miss player in the top 3. If it's a big man it's a bonus. If not, and you don't want the other can't miss players, trade down b/c someone will always be willing to trade up for the can't miss player.
ZoomSlowik
I definitely agree that teams get too absorbed with upside and size in the draft, but I don't really think it's that big of an issue in this particular draft, no one is going to take Lopez over Beasley or Rose. After that none of the other guys are absolute can't miss type guys. I suppose some might argue Mayo, but others would point out that at the moment his only tool that's definitely above average for an NBA player is his scoring, which could mean a career somewhat similar to Jamal Crawford or Ben Gordon (nowhere near the shooter that Ben is, but better on the drive, probably a bit less of a defensive liability too assuming he tries). That wouldn't exactly qualify in most people's book, and you're starting to see Mayo ranked ahead of Lopez on a fair number of boards anyways.

On a side-note with 2006, the rumor that's gone around is that several teams passed on Roy because they were jittery about a knee injury in his past. Personally I think that's BS, if the guy is healthy and playing at a high level at the time how big an issue can it be? It's one thing if you find damage in a physical/workout before the draft, but that's another thing entirely. There was no reason whatsoever for him to go below Charlotte at 3, and that still factors in the big-man love for Bargnani and Aldridge since if they're considered reasonably comparable prospects (Roy was considered the safest pick but not exactly a superstar in the making, somewhere around pre-07/08 Manu Ginobili at his peak, which is actually pretty close to what you have when you factor in that he plays a lot more than Manu) teams will ALWAYS take the big man unless they feel the perimeter player is a reasonably big step up. Even seeing what you have two years later, I'd bet at least a handful of GM's would take Aldridge over Roy simply because scoring big men are so hard to find (not necessarily competent ones of course).

As for Gay, teams have been burned on talented guys that have work ethic issues (real or perceived) a lot, so that's the reason he fell. Again, kinda dumb, since even at 80% he's better and more well-rounded than Adam Morrison, who went #3, but teams didn't want another Stromile Swift type incident. Every player is different though, I don't think you can lump them all together, that's how you miss out on guys like Rudy Gay and Caron Butler.

Also, just to be a pain in the ass, Bosh went #4. tongue.gif That draft was pretty ridiculous though, he'd go top-3 basically any other year.
Balta1701-B
OK, Love to go pro, Collison still undecided.
Wanne
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Apr 16 2008, 04:20 PM) *

If Love is still there when the Bulls pick (assuming it's around 8th)....I'd take that dude in a HEARTBEAT!!!!!!!!
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (Wanne @ Apr 16 2008, 08:51 PM) *
If Love is still there when the Bulls pick (assuming it's around 8th)....I'd take that dude in a HEARTBEAT!!!!!!!!

Why do you like Kevin Love so much? What would he add to this basketball team in the NBA? He seems like another Brad Miller to me.
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Apr 16 2008, 09:46 PM) *
Why do you like Kevin Love so much? What would he add to this basketball team in the NBA? He seems like another Brad Miller to me.

I'm not exactly a gigantic Love fan either since he has a lot of the same flaws as Shelden Williams, but is Brad Miller really a bad thing? Neither is a great athlete, but Miller in his prime was a solid scorer and rebounder and a good passer. A Miller-like player would be our most productive post player, even over Gooden. We're not going to do much better with our pick in this draft, assuming he hits that level (entirely different debate).
Wanne

IMO Love will be a VERY solid pro. I think he'll be a physical presence underneath...can score out to 15 feet or so...and hits and outlet pass better than most from what I've seen. I've got to see him quite a bit this year. I just like his mindset and the tools he brings to the table. I think any of these guys after 1-2 are gonna be a crap shoot anyway. If Love's there...you take him is my opinion. Like Zoom said you could do a lot worse...but I think he's better than Shelden any day of the week. Didn't Williams spend 4 years at Duke?
SoxFan1

Umm, you wouldn't take Brad Miller on this team!?!? I would love a tandem of Love and Noah in the front court. We'd dominate the boards so much, and if we get that up-tempo offense, there is no one better at the outlet pass. He's also damn talented down low and can shoot a pretty decent mid-range jumper.
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (Wanne @ Apr 16 2008, 11:34 PM) *
Like Zoom said you could do a lot worse...but I think he's better than Shelden any day of the week. Didn't Williams spend 4 years at Duke?

Yeah, he did, though Williams was a more defensive-minded player and took a while to develop any kind of offensive ability. Love is a much better offensive player than Shelden, but Williams was also a far better defensive player in college. The lack of even decent quickness, leaping ability, or length has made him a rotation player at best. I think Love will be at least useful because of his skill level, but I wouldn't expect him to be anywhere near as productive as he was in college personally.
DutheDoduhon21
Rush and Arthur declared today.i like arthur alot
Wanne
QUOTE (DutheDoduhon21 @ Apr 17 2008, 04:40 PM) *
Rush and Arthur declared today.i like arthur alot

I think Arthur's gonna be a very good pro as well. I know I'll get hooha'd for this...but I think his skill set is a lot like a young Amare...not quite the force...but not altogether that far off IMO.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (Wanne @ Apr 16 2008, 11:34 PM) *
IMO Love will be a VERY solid pro. I think he'll be a physical presence underneath...can score out to 15 feet or so...and hits and outlet pass better than most from what I've seen. I've got to see him quite a bit this year. I just like his mindset and the tools he brings to the table. I think any of these guys after 1-2 are gonna be a crap shoot anyway. If Love's there...you take him is my opinion. Like Zoom said you could do a lot worse...but I think he's better than Shelden any day of the week. Didn't Williams spend 4 years at Duke?

hmmm, I just wondered I wasn't trying to give you crap about it. Since our opinions on him differ I just wanted to see where your coming from. He does have some sick passing skills when it comes to outlet passes and getting a quick break started; the one thing I worry about is his knees and how short he is for a power forward. I guess Noah would make up for the height defeciency there but Ideally you'd want a guy in there that is 6'10-6'11 instead of whatever Love is, like 6'8.
Wanne
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Apr 17 2008, 07:03 PM) *
hmmm, I just wondered I wasn't trying to give you crap about it. Since our opinions on him differ I just wanted to see where your coming from. He does have some sick passing skills when it comes to outlet passes and getting a quick break started; the one thing I worry about is his knees and how short he is for a power forward. I guess Noah would make up for the height defeciency there but Ideally you'd want a guy in there that is 6'10-6'11 instead of whatever Love is, like 6'8.

Short?!? Kevin Love is not 6-8"....legit 6-10".
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (Wanne @ Apr 17 2008, 07:20 PM) *
Short?!? Kevin Love is not 6-8"....legit 6-10".

Riiiiight, just like Tyrus was a legit 6'10" coming out (at least according to some). tongue.gif

You just don't really know until they get measured at the combine, basically everyone fudges the numbers. If I had to guess I'd say closer to 6'8" than 6'10" though (if we start a pool I want 6'8 1/2" without shoes tongue.gif ), he doesn't exactly tower over most of his teammates. Whatever his actual height is, he plays a bit short. He doesn't have great length and isn't an explosive leaper, he plays below the rim. It's hard to say exactly what he'll do when he has to regularly play guys that are bigger (or as big) and more athletic than him every night. He's too skilled to suck, but the measurables don't exactly scream above average starter.
Wanne
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 17 2008, 08:24 PM) *
Riiiiight, just like Tyrus was a legit 6'10 3/4" coming out as was discussed on this site. tongue.gif

You just don't really know until they get measured at the combine, EVERYONE fudges the numbers. If I had to guess I'd say closer to 6'8" than 6'10" though (if we start a pool I want 6'8 1/2" without shoes tongue.gif ), he doesn't exactly tower over most of his teammates. Whatever his actual height is, he plays a bit short. He doesn't have great length and isn't an explosive leaper, he plays below the rim. It's hard to say exactly what he'll do when he has to regularly play guys that are bigger (or as big) and more athletic than him every night.

I'd throw down a wager on closer to 6-10"...
DutheDoduhon21
I know I'll get hooha'd for this...but I think his skill set is a lot like a young Amare...not quite the force...but not altogether that far off IMO.

i agree with you, he reminds me alot of amare, oviously he probably wont be as good as him but they are very similar.
ZoomSlowik
I don't really see it, Amare is quite a bit more explosive, and is obviously a lot stronger now (probably was coming out too). His stock would be A LOT higher if scouts believed that comparison, since Amare is one of the best big men in the league. Arthur is a lot more of a finesse player and would likely profile as more of a David West type if he hits his potential. Yeah, that's still pretty good, but he'll need to bulk up a bit and further refine his shooting/post up abilities.
DutheDoduhon21
I don't really see it, Amare is quite a bit more explosive

i personally thought arthur was one of the most explosive players in the tournement. he has alot of potential, but i agree he needs to get bigger.
Balta1701-B
Mbah a Mute and Chris Douglas-Roberts are in.
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (DutheDoduhon21 @ Apr 18 2008, 04:32 PM) *
i personally thought arthur was one of the most explosive players in the tournement. he has alot of potential, but i agree he needs to get bigger.

He was, but there's a big difference, Stoudemire didn't even play in college because of his exceptional athleticism and size. Amare was putting up better numbers in the pros right out of high school than Arthur has thus far in college.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 18 2008, 06:25 PM) *
He was, but there's a big difference, Stoudemire didn't even play in college because of his exceptional athleticism and size.

And because there was no rule forcing him to.
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Apr 18 2008, 08:26 PM) *
And because there was no rule forcing him to.

Arthur was not a guy that could have gone pro straight out of high school, he wasn't even rated as a top-10 prospect in his class (though obviously still a 5-star recruit). Hell, he wasn't even one and done, so it's a moot point.

Arthur isn't a slouch in that department by any stretch of the imagination, but there are a lot more guys on his tier in the NBA. He's definitely got enough athleticism and skill to potentially be a very good player, I just wouldn't expect him to be a dominant force of nature like Amare often is (at least on offense).
DutheDoduhon21
augustin, abrams and chalmers declared today.
DutheDoduhon21
collison will return to UCLA.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.