Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tyrus Thomas' Season in review
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Chicago Bulls Franchise
Coming into his rookie year Tyrus was expected to be an energy guy, and somebody that could use his extremely unusual athleticism to block shots and rebound. What Tyrus didn't have was an offensive game. Most of his points came from either dunks or free throws. Towards the end of last season he started to emerge as a really valuable player on this team and it showed in the playoffs against Detroit especially. Some of us thought he would make an improvement from last season to this season, however this not totally the case..

This season he didn't make the leap I thought he would. He didn't get as many blocked shots because he stopped hustling all the time and his overall aggressiveness that I loved so much dramatically decreased. He still fouls like there is no limit, and he still can't finish well around the rim. His fieldgoal % dropped to an embarrassing 42% which is very bad for somebody that plays the power forward spot. Though there were many flaws still in Tyrus' game this year, he did make some improvements.

He became a much much better jump shooter. You can argue that they look better because he just took more of those shots but you can clearly see how much smoother he looks shooting the basketball, its not bricking off the backboard like it used to. While he still doesn't have a low post game (And I don't know if he ever will) Tyrus is at his best when he is facing the basket and attacks the rim.

His overall court awareness improved as well. He more than doubled his assist output from last season and I would now consider him a really good passer for a big man. His dribbling has also improved to wear he can handle the ball from time to time around the perimeter but he still sometimes gets crazy with it..

One other thing that he's improved and his biggest improvement is his free throws. He shot 60% last year and 74% this year! With his ability to draw fouls he needs to keep increasing those numbers and he can easily rack up the points more consistently next year.

At this point, Tyrus is basically becoming more of a small forward rather than a power forward. I'd give him atleast this summer to work on a low post game and gather some strength and see if he can make a living in the paint. If not, move him to the small forward position and let him roam around and use that special athleticism of his..
ZoomSlowik
I'd say the poor shooting percentage is a combo of both poor finishing and too many jumpers. Here's how how percentages break down, from 82games.com

inside- 53% of attempts, 48.7% from the floor

2-point jumpers- 45% of attempts, 35.5% from the floor

3's- 1% of attempts (obviously all of those are rounded, 16.7% from the floor

You can debate which is the bigger issue from there. The 2-point jumpers are clearly a drag on his percentage, he makes essentially 1 a game, and the percentage is still comfortably below average (bottom 50 in the league) despite being somewhat respectable, however his inside conversion rate is abysmal relative to the rest of the league (only 15 players in the league did worse) even if it well over his composite average. He needs to seriously improve in one of those areas to become even an average offensive player.

I just can't take the potential of him being a SF seriously without drastic improvement either. His biggest strength by far is his leaping ability as shown in his rebounding and shot blocking, taking him farther from the basket reduces his effectiveness in those areas. It also doesn't help that he can't hit 3's, is an average ball-handler at best (though is actually a decent passer), and is still a below average jumpshooter. That and his footspeed/quickness is far less of a standout skill on the wing. I really think you have to keep throwing him out there at PF and hope for the best, especially since it seems unlikely that Deng is going anywhere.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Apr 18 2008, 08:16 PM) *
He more than doubled his assist output from last season and I would now consider him a really good passer for a big man.

With his ability to draw fouls he needs to keep increasing those numbers and he can easily rack up the points more consistently next year.

These 2 statements are jokes. First off, he's a really good passing big man because he averaged 1.2 assists per game? Are you kidding me? He's is a VERY mediocre passer. Doubling your assist total from .6 to 1.2 is not even worthy of mention.

Second, since when does he have an "ability to draw fouls"? Last I checked, his ability to draw fouls was his ability to get tossed around down low like a rag-doll because he isn't strong enough to finish around the rim...something he can't do anyway.
Cowch
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 20 2008, 01:45 AM) *
These 2 statements are jokes. First off, he's a really good passing big man because he averaged 1.2 assists per game? Are you kidding me? He's is a VERY mediocre passer. Doubling your assist total from .6 to 1.2 is not even worthy of mention.

Second, since when does he have an "ability to draw fouls"? Last I checked, his ability to draw fouls was his ability to get tossed around down low like a rag-doll because he isn't strong enough to finish around the rim...something he can't do anyway.

Haha, rain on his parade. Tyrus did get better. But he's still not that great. With his athleticism he still has lots of room for improvement. I'm sure we'd all love to see a player develop into a star ON the Bull's roster. Maybe it will be Tyrus.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 20 2008, 02:45 AM) *

His court awareness got much better. Last year he wouldn't have been able to make some of those quick tough passes he did so often this year. He was a terrible ball handler but now he's gotten a bit better in that area along with his passing. Im sure most of us would consider Joakim Noah a good passer and he only averaged 1.1 per game, does that mean he sucks at it too? Give me a break.
eddog2
QUOTE (Cowch @ Apr 20 2008, 04:15 AM) *
Haha, rain on his parade. Tyrus did get better. But he's still not that great. With his athleticism he still has lots of room for improvement. I'm sure we'd all love to see a player develop into a star ON the Bull's roster. Maybe it will be Tyrus.

None of the Bulls players are going to develop into # 1 options. That's the problem with the Bulls. Deng and Gordon are great already if they were the 2nd/3rd options. With a Legit star on this team (preferably with a post game) Deng and Gordon would be more effective. Gordon specifically. Gordon's offensive game is already great. He is one of the top 5 best shooters in the game. (I don't care if anyone wants to disagree). He just makes bad decisions at times. If we had a star he wouldn't have to make so many bad decisions and he could focus more on a specific role. With a star on this team the Bulls would be a title contender b/c Deng and Gordon are legit 2/3 options.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (eddog2 @ Apr 20 2008, 10:50 AM) *
None of the Bulls players are going to develop into # 1 options. That's the problem with the Bulls. Deng and Gordon are great already if they were the 2nd/3rd options. With a Legit star on this team (preferably with a post game) Deng and Gordon would be more effective. Gordon specifically. Gordon's offensive game is already great. She one of the top 5 best shooters in the game. (I don't care if anyone wants to disagree). He just makes bad decisions at times. If we had a star he wouldn't have to make so many bad decisions and he could focus more on a specific role. With a star on this team the Bulls would be a title contender b/c Deng and Gordon are legit 2/3 options.

So the question then is...how exactly do we fill that "Star" role you want without moving both Deng and Gordon?
ZoomSlowik
Very few big men are good/great passers, most of them don't have the ball in their hands enough to make a major impact as a passer. Guys like Chris Webber, Kevin Garnett and Brad Miller are pretty rare. I would say both Noah and Tyrus are certainly capable passers for their size, but until they become guys that actually handle the ball in the low and/or high post it's a much more minor consideration compared to other skills, though you'd obviously rather have it than not.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 20 2008, 11:00 AM) *
Very few big men are good/great passers, most of them don't have the ball in their hands enough to make a major impact as a passer. Guys like Chris Webber, Kevin Garnett and Brad Miller are pretty rare. I would say both Noah and Tyrus are certainly capable passers for their size, but until they become guys that actually handle the ball in the low and/or high post it's a much more minor consideration compared to other skills, though you'd obviously rather have it than not.

Well, in terms of Noah, before his last growth spurt, he started off his career playing as a point guard. So at least some of the video we saw earlier this year suggested he certainly had the ability to move around with the ball down low and set other people up. I'm not sure how regularly we saw that during games, but he's starting from a solid place there skill-wise. What we may very well need for both of these guys is the right type of coaching for a summer/year or two. Both of them have weaknesses in areas that the right coach might be able to fix.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Apr 20 2008, 04:18 PM) *
Well, in terms of Noah, before his last growth spurt, he started off his career playing as a point guard. So at least some of the video we saw earlier this year suggested he certainly had the ability to move around with the ball down low and set other people up. I'm not sure how regularly we saw that during games, but he's starting from a solid place there skill-wise. What we may very well need for both of these guys is the right type of coaching for a summer/year or two. Both of them have weaknesses in areas that the right coach might be able to fix.

I believe Tyrus was also a point guard when he played in highschool before he grew a ton.
eddog2
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Apr 20 2008, 12:52 PM) *
So the question then is...how exactly do we fill that "Star" role you want without moving both Deng and Gordon?

That is the question. I guess it will have to involve either getting lucky in the draft, getting an unrestricted free agent to sign with the Bulls (or working out a sign and trade), or trading Kirk, Tyrus, Nocioni, Gooden, or Thabo in a package. We could also wait a couple of years and use Hughes expiring contract but you'll have to get lucky there too b/c you'll have to trade for a star that some team no longer wants.
BigEdWalsh
QUOTE (eddog2 @ Apr 20 2008, 12:50 PM) *
Gordon's offensive game is already great. She one of the top 5 best shooters in the game.

Is there something about Gordon that I didn't know? lolhitting.gif
Steve9347
Tyrus blows and the trade of the Aldridge pick for him and the since departed Khryapa will go down as one of the worst in NBA history.
TeaLeafReaderII
QUOTE (steve9347 @ Apr 21 2008, 12:08 PM) *
Tyrus blows and the trade of the Aldridge pick for him and the since departed Khryapa will go down as one of the worst in NBA history.

Thats what everyone said about Brand for Chandler. If the Bulls were a little more patient, it could have become a wash.
MB33
ITs also about PG we have a shoot first PG if we have a play maker pass first PG people would not be saying Tyrus is a bust.Look at chandler with CP3 tyrus is more athletic than chandler hopefully paxson doesnt wimp out on any trades.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
The Tyrus trade will never go down as one of the worst in NBA history. At best Aldridge is a poor mans Chris Bosh.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (TeaLeafReaderII @ Apr 21 2008, 03:56 PM) *
Thats what everyone said about Brand for Chandler. If the Bulls were a little more patient, it could have become a wash.

When Tyson Chandler gets strong MVP consideration, let me know.
TeaLeafReaderII
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 22 2008, 12:07 AM) *
When Tyson Chandler gets strong MVP consideration, let me know.

Best I can tell, Tyson Chandler has finished in the top five of MVP voting exactly as many times Elton Brand. There is no doubt that for their careers Brand has been a better player. It wasn't the case this year, and after tearing his achilles, it may never be the case again. Bottom line is, as we continue to watch Tyson's play trend upward the gulf in talent isn't nearly as large as people thought. It would be little more clear if Tyson's biggest asset, shot altering, appeared on a stat sheet.

As I type this Tyson just stayed with Kidd on a fast break, got a piece of the shot, grabbed the rebound, and threw an outlet pass that started a fast break the other way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.