soxfan3530
Looks like we will be seeing a lot more of Scott down the road:

Report: Skiles has verbal agreement to coach Bucks

ESPN.com news services
Updated: April 21, 2008, 11:43 AM ET
Comment
Email
Print
Scott Skiles has verbally accepted an offer from the Milwaukee Bucks to be their new head coach, the New York Post reported Monday, citing a league source.

Skiles
Skiles, who was thought to be a candidate for the New York Knicks' vacancy, would replace Larry Krystkowiak in Milwaukee. The Bucks fired Krystkowiak on Thursday, one day after finishing 26-56 in his one full season as coach.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel characterized Skiles' hiring as imminent, saying the team and coach were making significant progress in contract negotiations. "The search is continuing. We're making progress and our goal, as stated before, is to react quickly," new Bucks general manager John Hammond told the newspaper Sunday, adding, "We will not discuss individual names of candidates at this time."

Hammond is attempting to mold the Bucks, one of the NBA's worst defensive teams, into a championship contender.

"The bottom line on this decision is that this is a results-driven league," Hammond said last week, when Krystkowiak's firing was announced. "Sometimes it comes down to wins and losses. Once again, the man that Larry was and the effort he put forth had little to do with the decision."

Skiles was fired by the Chicago Bulls last December after telling management he thought the team needed "a new voice." He was 165-172 during his time in Chicago, which began in November 2003 when he replaced Bill Cartwright.

The Bucks drafted Skiles in the first round of the 1986 draft, but he played only 13 games that season because of a neck injury. He played 10 seasons in the NBA.
Balta1701-B
The way I look at this hiring...

If Pax fails in attempting to fix what is wrong with this team this summer, and we wind up with another disaster next year, whoever our new GM is just moved up one spot in the draft. With that roster, I think Skiles is probably good for somewhere in the range of 5-10 wins.
eddog2
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Apr 21 2008, 04:05 PM) *
The way I look at this hiring...

If Pax fails in attempting to fix what is wrong with this team this summer, and we wind up with another disaster next year, whoever our new GM is just moved up one spot in the draft. With that roster, I think Skiles is probably good for somewhere in the range of 5-10 wins.

If Skiles can get them to buy into playing defense they'll win more than 10 games then they did this year. The Bucks are probably the most disappointing team to me other than the Bulls. The Bucks have a ton of young talent and Michael Redd. Yi will be better and Bogut had a breakout year. Ramon Sessions also finished the year very strong and will be a quality guard off the bench (he also has an outside chance of becoming their starter if he improves his shooting next year).

Mo Williams (25 years old)
Yi (20 1/2 years old)
Redd 29 years old
Ramon Sessions (22 years old)
Bogut (24 years old)
Charlie V. (23 3/4 years old)
Bobby Simmons (27 5/6 years old)

If they get lucky in the draft and get a top 3 pick or a player that really fits their system they have the ability to be a top 5 team in the East. Their lineup is super young and they have Redd who is one of the best shooters in the league. I didn't know Bogut was so young. He had a breakout year this year and could be even better next year. If Yi develops as many including myself think he will he could be one of the most improved players next year. The team will be better under Skiles and as a team they have good size at every position. That will be a luxury that Skiles didn't have with the Bulls.
Balta1701-B
FWIW, I've read in a couple places now that Yi is probably a Tejada or so older than he's listed as, and hence he might not be primed for as big of an improvement as people hoped.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
I guess he's alright at rebuilding a team. Give him 2-3 years and he can bring the Bucks back to respectability like when Ray Allen was there but then he can wear out his welcome as we all know after that..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.