Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NBA to impose flopping fines
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Balta1701-B
Well, this will be interesting to see. Wonder whether or not it will actually be effective, given how much of a judgement call some of these can be. I can't wait until someone gets fined for flopping and then says they just lost their balance.
The NBA announced to its teams this week at its annual pre-draft camp that fines will be imposed on players starting next season for clear cases of "flopping," ESPN.com has learned.

The league office has yet to determine exact fine amounts for offending flops and how fines might escalate for repeat offenders, but in-game arena observers and video reviewers will be instructed to report instances of theatrical flopping for potential punishment as part of postgame reports on officiating and other matters.

The league's pledge to crack down on flopping was conveyed to team representatives at Tuesday's competition committee meeting in Orlando.

NBA executive vice president of basketball operations Stu Jackson confirmed the new policy Wednesday night saying: "What was clearly expressed to the committee is that we would begin imposing fines next season for the most egregious type of flops. When players are taking a dive, for lack of a better term."
ZoomSlowik
Manu Ginobili is in trouble. tongue.gif
dasox24
I think this is a good thing. The flopping is getting out of hand... Duke players are gonna have a hard time adjusting to the NBA now.
madisonsmadhouse
Skiles might have a rough time in Milwaukee as well...
Chicago Bulls Franchise
Nocioni as well.. I remember Vlade Divac being the king of flopping, he actually taught it to his teammates haha.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Jun 6 2008, 09:11 PM) *
Nocioni as well.. I remember Vlade Divac being the king of flopping, he actually taught it to his teammates haha.

Divac invented the flop, mastered the flop, and taught it to others.

flop (flahp) 1. verb. flopped, flopping, flops. To fall down intentionally after little or no contact with an opposing player in order to draw a foul. 2. noun. The act of flopping.

Usage example: Vlade Divac once flopped after brushing against Shaq's shoelace. Needless to say, he drew a flagrant foul.

Word Trivia: The King of Flop. Sir Flops A Lot. Floppy Divac. The Serbian Flop Monster. These nicknames -- and more -- were all applied to Vlade Divac over the course of his illustrious 16-year career. No one remembers the 14,000 points, the 9,000 rebounds, the 4,000 assists. They remember the fact that an opponent couldn't sneeze without sending Divac pinwheeling into the crowd or sprawling to the floor like he just got shot in the heart by a bazooka.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.