Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: was hiring doug collins the right choice?
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
DutheDoduhon21
ESPN sports nation

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation...g?event_id=3505

wanted to do a poll, but ive never done one i dont know how
Balta1701-B
While I'm not sold on him actually being in the job, here's Hollinger's argument as to why he's a bad fit.
Cowch
4) Who is to blame for the Bulls not making the playoffs this season?

72.4% The players
15.3% John Paxson
6.8% Scott Skiles
5.5% Jerry Reinsdorf

I guess not too many Bulls fans have voted. lolhitting.gif
dasox24
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ May 29 2008, 05:03 PM) *
While I'm not sold on him actually being in the job, here's Hollinger's argument as to why he's a bad fit.

Those are all pretty legit reasons, all of which I worry about myself. When I first heard about the hire, I thought he was too much like Skiles. Skiles got us from point A to point B. Now, I thought the next step was to get to Point C. However, Collins is more of an A to B guy, so why hire him? Also, defense is not the problem with us. It's our offense, which Collins isn't known for. Anyway, I kept saying I'd trust Pax in whoever he hired, but if Collins is really the coach (it looks like it may have been prematurely reported), then he's gonna have to do a lot of good things around here to win me over.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (dasox24 @ May 29 2008, 03:18 PM) *
Those are all pretty legit reasons, all of which I worry about myself. When I first heard about the hire, I thought he was too much like Skiles. Skiles got us from point A to point B. Now, I thought the next step was to get to Point C. However, Collins is more of an A to B guy, so why hire him? Also, defense is not the problem with us. It's our offense, which Collins isn't known for. Anyway, I kept saying I'd trust Pax in whoever he hired, but if Collins is really the coach (it looks like it may have been prematurely reported), then he's gonna have to do a lot of good things around here to win me over.

If they were to go with Collins as a smart B-Ball guy...but also steal that guy from Utah to work as a coach in training under him for 2 years, that'd make me satisfied on several levels.
dasox24
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ May 29 2008, 06:29 PM) *
If they were to go with Collins as a smart B-Ball guy...but also steal that guy from Utah to work as a coach in training under him for 2 years, that'd make me satisfied on several levels.

Oh, absolutely. From the moment I read about Tyrone Corbin, I wanted him. If he were to be that top assistant in training, then yeah, I'd be happy about that as well. Also, we'd have a great option for a coach within if Collins were to not work out.
Chicago Bulls Franchise

The whole "Pacing" issue worries me a bit. I don't want to see a slow offense, I want a semblance of a fast paced game. Hopefully whoever is the assistant will be in charge of that or maybe Doug has seen what the Bulls need and changes his stance a bit on how he exploits the offense.
SoxFan1

We were not a good defensive team last year. I stopped reading right there.
Wanne
Hollinger's just posting latent blather. How could he mention "slow pace" coaches without mentioning the king of snoozing offenses Mike Fratello. Plus...it still sticks in my head what the Trib mentioned as for Collins just being a bridge to the assistant Pax brings in.
Steve9347
QUOTE (Cowch @ May 29 2008, 05:07 PM) *
4) Who is to blame for the Bulls not making the playoffs this season?

72.4% The players
15.3% John Paxson
6.8% Scott Skiles
5.5% Jerry Reinsdorf

I guess not too many Bulls fans have voted. lolhitting.gif

I voted and voted for "The Players".

They were the ones who all played well below their normal production and looked silly out there.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
It sounds like Collins might bring a crew with him. Bill Cartwright has contacted Pax about being an assistant and so has Ron Harper. I wouldn't mind having either of them because Ron would work with the guards and Bill did a good job with the bigs when he had Tyson and Curry back in 03.

I'm betting this mysterious new assistant in training is Jeff Hornacevck. The pieces are beginning to fall together. Doug Collins isn't the long term solution here but he's a building block to help guide this team for 2-3 years before Horny takes over.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.