Full Version: Doug Collins backs out of coaching sweepstakes
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
madisonsmadhouse
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/977280,collins052908.article

Doug Collins to become Bulls head coach

May 29, 2008
Recommend

BY BRIAN HANLEY Staff Reporter

Doug Collins will become the next Bulls head coach, according to a source.

The source said the deal is expected to be announced "sooner rather than later."

Full Court Press biog: Collins is an interesting choice

Expect one of the other candidates general manager John Paxson interviewed to be one of Collins' assistants.

Paxson has said Collins has one of the best basketball minds around, and chairman Jerry Reinsdorf said he loves Collins despite having fired Collins in a controversial move in 1989.

Collins coached the Bulls from 1986-89 and took the Bulls to the Eastern Conference finals. He also coached the Detroit Pistons and later coached Michael Jordan on the Washington Wizards.

Collins is an intense, fiery coach, who will remind some of Scott Skiles, who was fired on Christmas Eve.

Recently, Collins said he didn't want to leave his broadcasting job with TNT. Since then, the Bulls landed the No. 1 draft pick.
"I know Doug's got the itch [to coach again]," a league source said. "I think the Bulls' youth intrigues Doug more than the Phoenix [Suns] situation. He's a teacher That's what he likes to do.

"He might have been leery about the veterans on the Suns, including Shaq.

A native of Benton, Ill., Collins starred at Illinois State.
Steve9347
I broke it a half-hour earlier in the other thread!
madisonsmadhouse
It deserves its own thread IMO.
Steve9347
QUOTE (madisonsmadhouse @ May 29 2008, 10:34 AM) *
It deserves its own thread IMO.

You are more than correct, I was just kidding.
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (steve9347 @ May 29 2008, 10:45 AM) *
You are more than correct, I was just kidding.

cheers.gif

So now the big question is, what does everyone think?

Its not the greatest hire IMO, but I think he will work well with our core.
Balta1701-B
Well, that's a bit surprising. With all the youth though I guess it could well work.

I'm hoping Pax is smart enough to pick up a couple of quality assistants who can take over the job a little ways down the road.
rangercal
This is a move to develop our young guys the right way. I like it. This coaching hire increases the odds that Tyrus will remain a bull imo.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (rangercal @ May 29 2008, 09:31 AM) *
This is a move to develop our young guys the right way. I like it. This coaching hire increases the odds that Tyrus will remain a bull imo.

I think I agree with that. I think it's the right move too. I still like the TT/Deng/Noah/Rose/Gordon+Thabo lineup quite a bit on paper.

Next step is to find some assistants, and to try to move Hinrich and Noc's contracts, IMO.
soxfan3530
Love the hiring. I think DC is a great bball mind. Plus he is a REDBIRD!! bullssmilie1.jpg
Steve9347
QUOTE (rangercal @ May 29 2008, 11:31 AM) *

^^ It's a great hiring.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
Thats cool, I like Doug Collins but I would have proffered Corbin. Maybe he will be the assistant?
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ May 29 2008, 10:17 AM) *
Thats cool, I like Doug Collins but I would have proffered Corbin. Maybe he will be the assistant?

I wouldn't mind at all if Pax were to try to pick a high level assistant out of the group he interviewed to play the coach in waiting role. Trib even suggests that will happen.

One of the many younger coaches Paxson also has interviewed is expected to land on Collins' staff.
BigEdWalsh
I like it. I really liked Collins when he was here the first time and was shocked and not happy when he was let go. Of course, as things turned out with Phil Jackson...well, need I say?
I think with this young team which is going to get even younger, Collins is a great fit. I would have been curious to see how Corbin might have worked out, but oh well, this is probably for the better.
Welcome back, Doug! bullssmilie1.jpg
dasox24
I'm really surprised most of you are happy about this. I feel like we just settled. Like, it's a good hiring, but not the best. I thought Pax was gonna really explore all his options, and then all of a sudden he hires Collins out of left field? What's that about? He hasn't coached in 6 years, and he wasn't that good as the Wizards coach. He went 37-45 in both his seasons before getting fired.

Now, I really hope we hire a high level assistant that can come in and learn the ropes to eventually be the head coach of the future. Tyrone Corbin (who was my favorite for the job), Brian Shaw, or someone like that would be great.
SoxFan1
I'm a fan of the hire. It was kind of unexpected, but I've always associated Collins with the Bulls. He was definitely one of my favorite basketball announcers and is very knowledgeable about the game. Let's see if we can get a good coaching staff next to him and make some things happen.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (dasox24 @ May 29 2008, 11:18 AM) *
I'm really surprised most of you are happy about this. I feel like we just settled. Like, it's a good hiring, but not the best. I thought Pax was gonna really explore all his options, and then all of a sudden he hires Collins out of left field? What's that about? He hasn't coached in 6 years, and he wasn't that good as the Wizards coach. He went 37-45 in both his seasons before getting fired.

Now, I really hope we hire a high level assistant that can come in and learn the ropes to eventually be the head coach of the future. Tyrone Corbin (who was my favorite for the job), Brian Shaw, or someone like that would be great.

I don't feel like we settled...specifically, I think we made a statement about the direction of our team today. My impression, correct me if I'm wrong, is that Doug Collins seems to be thought of as something of a developmental guy. He coached the Bulls when Pippen and Grant were just developing and when the team was learning how to play together. He coached the Wizards during a stretch where they were trying to rebuild. I don't remember as much about the mid 90's pistons, but those were the early Grant Hill years and so his job might well have been to develop a team.

I agree that we need a coach in training somewhere, and Corbin would be an excellent idea (think Carlisle to Larry Bird), and I think the Bulls job would be an appetizing one for an assistant like that who keeps drawing attention but can never get a job because his team always goes deep in to the playoffs.

Overall, I think the message I get from this hire is that we're admitting we're not going to be the top of the East next year, we're going to do the smart thing, realize we have the youngest roster in the league and it's just going to get younger when we draft (hopefully Rose), and if we're careful we can turn this roster in to an absolute league dominating machine in a few years.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ May 29 2008, 02:51 PM) *
Overall, I think the message I get from this hire is that we're admitting we're not going to be the top of the East next year, we're going to do the smart thing, realize we have the youngest roster in the league and it's just going to get younger when we draft (hopefully Rose), and if we're careful we can turn this roster in to an absolute league dominating machine in a few years.

This is a tad bit upsetting to me, because that has pretty much been our MO the last few years and it hasn't worked out at all. In the past few seasons, we've had the opportunity to add Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, Pau Gasol, etc. And this off-season, it looks like we'll have an opportunity to get someone like Elton Brand, Michael Redd, Gilbert Arenas. And if Paxson decides that holding on to someone like Tyrus Thomas or Kirk Hinrich is the better idea, than I am done with him as a GM. No matter how you slice it, if you add Rose or Beasley to this current roster and stand pat after that, there is no dominating machine that is going to follow.

Let's say we have the opportunity to trade Hinrich, Gooden, and Tyrus for Elton Brand. We trade 2 of our oldest players in Hinrich and Gooden, as well as Tyrus, who is 21, for Brand who just turned 29. We'll still have an incredibly young team, still probably have the youngest roster since we'd be adding a 19 year old, but we get exponentially more talented, and are able to go into a win-now mode while staying super young.
Steve9347
I guess it won't be announced until TNT's playoff coverage ends.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (steve9347 @ May 29 2008, 02:01 PM) *
I guess it won't be announced until TNT's playoff coverage ends.

FWIW, the statements out of Pax et al sound even more emphatic than that.
"I have spoken with Bulls management recently about their head coaching vacancy and will resume conversations after the conclusion of my work for TNT in the Western Conference finals," Collins said in a statement from Los Angeles, where he was to work Game 5 of the Spurs-Lakers series. "There is no agreement in place."

"I have been in contact with Doug Collins in regard to our head coaching position. Contrary to some reports that are currently out there, we have not reached an agreement," Bulls general manager John Paxson said in a statement posted on the team's Web site.

"Right now, his commitment is covering the Western Conference finals for TNT. When that series concludes, we will continue our dialogue. In the meantime, I will continue to talk to other candidates and review our options."
cars
The thing that has me thinking was when Bill Cartwright was the coach, Paxson asked him if he'd like Collins as his assistant.

Maybe Collins would be the assistant to the young coach they are going to hire? Am I that crazy?
Balta1701-B
No, we're not certain of anything right now. We're certain it was reported, and we're certain it was publicly denied, but the only ones who know for sure are Pax, Collins, and the NSA.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
If you watched TNT's pre-game show you could see Collins all but admitted that he was going to be the next coach of the Chicago Bulls. I wouldn't be surprised if the Lakers win tonight he will be announced in the next day or two..
eddog2
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=8914

Looks like Collins could be named as early as tomorrow. Also seems that Curry is working out to be in shape for D'Antoni's system and that Shaun Livingston will be cleared for full workouts sometime this month.
DutheDoduhon21
Shaun Livingston will be cleared for full workouts sometime this month.

that was the worst injury i have ever seen, next to randy foye getting his eye poked out of his socket (sp?). if the clippers dont resign him i wouldnt mind the bulls looking at him.
refresher just for fun.http://youtube.com/watch?v=2F2B796QeFk
cant find the one of foye...
Steve9347
QUOTE (DutheDoduhon21 @ Jun 2 2008, 08:55 PM) *
that was the worst injury i have ever seen, next to randy foye getting his eye poked out of his socket (sp?). if the clippers dont resign him i wouldnt mind the bulls looking at him.
refresher just for fun.http://youtube.com/watch?v=2F2B796QeFk
cant find the one of foye...

That injury is sickening.
dasox24
Guess Pax is going back for Round 2 with some candidates... Possibly for that head assistant spot (and promise of taking over the team when Collins burns out in 2-3 years)?

Paxson still interviewing Bulls coaching candidates

By K.C. Johnson | Tribune reporter
8:23 AM CDT, June 3, 2008

The Bulls' coaching search will reach seven weeks on Thursday. That isn't stopping general manager John Paxson from conducting more interviews.

According to someone familiar with the process, Paxson has scheduled a second interview with at least one candidate. The person said other second interviews could follow.

With Lakers assistants Kurt Rambis and Brian Shaw involved with the NBA Finals, the likely candidates are Kings assistant Chuck Person, Jazz assistant Tyrone Corbin and former Minnesota coach Dwane Casey.

Ultimately, Doug Collins is still expected to land the job. But Paxson stressed at the outset of his search, which began on April 17 when he fired Jim Boylan, that he'd have no timetable to find a replacement.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (steve9347 @ Jun 3 2008, 09:20 AM) *
That injury is sickening.

Wasn't that injury to Allen Ray not Foye? I could be wrong...
DutheDoduhon21
yeah you are right...no wonder i couldnt find it. i think they got drafted the same year and kind of look alike.
here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04WXA7mM0Eo
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (cars @ May 29 2008, 06:58 PM) *
The thing that has me thinking was when Bill Cartwright was the coach, Paxson asked him if he'd like Collins as his assistant.

Maybe Collins would be the assistant to the young coach they are going to hire? Am I that crazy?

I wouldn't expect Collins to be willing to leave his cushy analyst position at TNT to become an assistant. If he is hired it will be as a head coach and I'd expect him to get a pretty nice contract (nothing in the D'Antoni range, but it will be far more than one of the assistants that Paxson has interviewed would get).
Balta1701-B
Doug Collins still wants to be the Bulls head coach, but the ball remains squarely in the Bulls' court.

WSCR-AM (670) reported first and the Sun-Times confirmed that Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf wants to take as much time as he felt necessary to make sure he would be hiring Collins for the right reasons and not allow his close relationship with Collins to cloud this important decision.

Meanwhile, the Associated Press is reporting that Sacramento assistant coach Chuck Person flew to Chicago today for a second interview. The interview was supposed to happen late Tuesday or early Wednesday.

Collins is said to understand Reinsdorf taking time to give the final OK. Collins, who at times has described Reinsdorf as being a father-figure, has made it clear to the Bulls and others that the only team he wants to coach is the Bulls. He has rebuffed overtures by the Phoenix Suns to become their next head coach.

Collins is intrigued with the youth of the Bulls, the league’s youngest team, and with the Bulls owning the top pick in the June 26 draft.

The Suns appear to be close to hiring Terry Porter, though Porter’s name could surface in connection with the Detroit Pistons after head coach Flip Saunders was fired there Tuesday.

The Bulls are not believed to be interested in Saunders, though things could change if Reinsdorf rejects Collins at this late stage. Sources close to the situation still expect Reinsdorf to ultimately hire Collins.

Bulls general manager John Paxson is said to be spending his time this week — while waiting for Reinsdorf's decision on Collins — trying to determine which player to take with the top overall pick in the draft. Paxson has been watching extensive video of both Derrick Rose and Michael Beasley. The Bulls expect to have both players in for two-day visits the week of June 16.
Sun Times.
dasox24
QUOTE (DutheDoduhon21 @ Jun 3 2008, 03:39 PM) *
yeah you are right...no wonder i couldnt find it. i think they got drafted the same year and kind of look alike.
here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04WXA7mM0Eo

I completely forgot about that happening. That is some gruesome stuff right there.
DutheDoduhon21
casey new fronrunner?
hate to be blunt, but the Bulls front office is more undecided than a bunch of stoned slackers. (Pun!) From Jeff Goodman at FOX Sports, via Blog-a-Bull: "Doug Collins may no longer be the front-runner for the Chicago Bulls job. According to a source close to the situation, former Minnesota Timberwolves coach Dwane Casey's interview with Bulls general manager John Paxson on Wednesday went extremely well, and he has emerged as a legitimate candidate." Collins, Chuck Person, Corbin, Turner ... this search is incredible. I can't wait for my interview with Pax next week. I'm going to wear a power tie!
dasox24
QUOTE (DutheDoduhon21 @ Jun 5 2008, 12:50 PM) *
casey new fronrunner?

Hmm, I don't know much about Casey (other than he had a terrible record with the T-Wolves), but I'd rather have Collins.
DutheDoduhon21
but I'd rather have Collins.

me too.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 5 2008, 03:40 PM) *
Hmm, I don't know much about Casey (other than he had a terrible record with the T-Wolves), but I'd rather have Collins.

Casey got one of the worst screw-jobs in NBA history when he was fired. It was his first year coaching the team after he replaced Kevin McHale halfway into one season trying to clean up his mess and then he coached the first part of another year and got fired midseason even though the team he had completely sucked, they still had a mediocre record. I'd like hiring Casey, I think he's going to be a good coach when somebody gives him the chance.

According to KC Johnson, the 3 front runners for the job are Collins, Casey, and Person (Who I haven't a clue who he is). Collins expects to hear what becomes of him this weekend. There was also some dumb rumor Tim Legler was throwing around yesterday about Collins stepping in as the Bulls GM while Paxson quits and goes to work as the athletic director at Notre Dame..
Steve9347
Doug Collins officially backed out of the coaching sweepstakes just now per the Score.
Steve9347
IT'S FLIP SAUNDERS OR BUST FOR ME!

link

With second thoughts, Doug Collins backs out of Bulls coaching search
By K.C. Johnson
Tribune reporter

June 6, 2008, 3:26 PM CDT

Doug Collins will not be returning for a second coaching stint with the Bulls.

Collins and team Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf mutually agreed during a Friday-afternoon phone conversation that the Bulls' coaching search, now more than seven weeks old, would continue without Collins.

"I just knew over the last few days that Jerry was really struggling over whether or not to do this, and I didn't want Jerry to have those struggles," Collins told the Tribune. "I love him. And I didn't want him feeling that kind of angst.

"This is absolutely mutual. When this first came about, there was a tremendous amount of excitement about this possibility. And I'm losing that. The feeling now is more, 'Should I do this?' Once I got to that point, it meant no. I always make decisions yes is yes, no is no and maybe is no.

"Jerry knows me well enough to know the only way I could do this is if I was totally engaged. And I just couldn't do that now."

Collins, who turns 57 in July, said he'd continue his broadcasting career with TNT. He added this Bulls team is the only one for which he'd return to coaching.

"I'm not going to coach another team," Collins said. "I spiritually felt I was led to this opportunity in Chicago. Four or five things happened along the way for me to get to this point. My family was incredibly supportive.

"For many reasons, it didn't come to be. If I was ever going to do it again, I would've done it in Chicago with Pax and Jerry. But I'm not going to go to another city and start all over again and make my family make new friends.

"Kathy (Collins' wife) was so comfortable because we lived there for 10 years. We would've been closer to (children) Chris and Kelly. It was exciting for all of them, too. But it just wasn't meant to be."

Collins first contacted the Bulls on May 23--three days after they won the top pick in the NBA draft lottery--to inform them he had changed his mind about not wanting to coach. Reinsdorf and general manager John Paxson flew to San Antonio, where Collins was working the Western Conference finals for TNT, to interview him on Memorial Day.

Collins had one follow-up phone interview, then watched as Reinsdorf and Paxson conducted second interviews with Kings assistant Chuck Person and former Minnesota coach Dwane Casey this week.

Sources said Paxson signed off on Collins' hiring. Reinsdorf consistently and publicly has said he never tells his general managers whom to hire but that he can exercise veto power.

Collins refused to comment when asked if Paxson had made it clear he wanted Collins as his coach. But Collins said he understood Reinsdorf's hesitations because the two have become extremely close since Reinsdorf fired Collins in July 1989. Collins had just led the Bulls to the Eastern Conference finals.

"I understand if Jerry had concerns about firing me again," Collins said. "My whole thing is you can't enter into an agreement with somebody if down the road, you think there's a chance for failure.

"It would've been a lot of fun to coach the Bulls. But I am comfortable with this development. It happened the way it was supposed to happen."

The Bulls now likely will pick from among Person, Casey, Jazz assistant Tyrone Corbin and Rockets assistant Elston Turner.

Flip Saunders, fired by Detroit earlier this week, has sent feelers about the Bulls' job. But it's not believed Paxson has much interest in Saunders.

kcjohnson@tribune.com

Copyright © 2008, ChicagoSports.com
SoxFan1
Paxson does it again.

Yay, Dwayne Casey is the Bulls new coach. Whoop dee freaking doo.
TeaLeafReaderII
This coaching search was a joke the second they decided D'Antoni was there man and didn't give him a contract.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
Is there a trend going on? D'Antoni decided to go elsewhere after his meeting with Reinsdorf and Collins decided he didn't want the job after meeting with Reinsdorf... Hmmmmm

At this point its making the organization look like a complete joke because they've had all this time to review and go over coaches you'd think they'd have some idea of what they want. My choices now boil down to..

1) Tyrone Corbin

2) Duane Casey

3) Brian Shaw
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Jun 6 2008, 03:58 PM) *
Is there a trend going on? D'Antoni decided to go elsewhere after his meeting with Reinsdorf and Collins decided he didn't want the job after meeting with Reinsdorf... Hmmmmm

At this point its making the organization look like a complete joke because they've had all this time to review and go over coaches you'd think they'd have some idea of what they want. My choices now boil down to..

1) Tyrone Corbin

2) Duane Casey

3) Brian Shaw

At this point, I'm starting to think that my criteria for a new coach are going to be: warm body before the draft.
DutheDoduhon21
that sucks i dont even know who my favorite is for the job now. i dont know much about any of the coaches. i have a feeling its going to be casey for some reason thoe.
DutheDoduhon21
changed my mind, i think we should do whatever we can to get avrey johnson, hes the best available.
eddog2
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Jun 6 2008, 05:58 PM) *

1) Tyrone Corbin

2) Duane Casey

3) Brian Shaw

Whether Collins wants to say it or not I bet it came down to a money issue with Jerry. Jerry is pissed that he has to pay Skiles and a new coach so he's going to try and get a new coach for very little $. I don't think Collins was going to work for a small contract and that's why I think we'll end up with an assistant coach b/c we won't want to pay the going rate for a top notch head coach.
dasox24
Anyone think that Paxson will just wait now 'till the playoffs are over so he can interview Thibodeau? I'm not very excited by any of the current top candidates. Del Negro? Casey? Person? They just don't do it for me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.