http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...bulls-headlines

So that's all you've got?

This is supposed to be a championship Miami Heat team?

"It's a contending team," Heat coach Pat Riley said. "I think it's the best chance this franchise has ever had to win a championship. It has not been the best of years as far as record, [but] I do think it has the best possibilities it has ever had, two of the top five or 10 players in the league who attract a tremendous amount of attention, a veteran team."

That team received 57 points, 20 rebounds, 12 assists and seven blocked shots combined from Shaquille O'Neal and Dwyane Wade in Game 1 of its first-round playoff series with the Bulls but had to hang on for a 111-106 win in a game in which Andres Nocioni was shooting for a tie with 16 seconds left.

"This is about an experienced, savvy, talented team, which I believe we have, taking advantage of opportunities," Riley said after the Heat's light workout Sunday. "One thing [we] cannot neglect is how hard this [Bulls] team is going to play. They're not going to stop and go away. They are primed right now. I think we're very aware of that after Saturday night."

Which would bring this challenge to O'Neal, who declined to speak with reporters Sunday.

OK, big fella, let's see you do it again.

"That's the best he's played in a long time," said Wade, who reported soreness from cramping late in the game but expected to play in Game 2 on Monday. "Last night was one of his better games in a while, so it's good to see him back into the form of being Shaquille."

O'Neal was impressive, as much with his attitude as his statistics. He hustled, went after drivers, jumped at the pick-and-rolls and looked like he really enjoyed playing basketball.

"He really wants to win," Riley said of O'Neal, who often was seen lecturing his teammates on getting him the ball, which he complained about after last year's playoff loss.

"I know all of you have a good time with him and he's an affable, funny, very humorous, giving person away from the court. I think that's why everyone's endeared to him to some extent. But he also is a winner. He really wants to win, and he wants to win now, and again, I think you're going to see that kind of effort, and we hope even the numbers are better. I'm not surprised by it at all."

The Bulls didn't practice Sunday, and I wouldn't have either. They did everything but get the win. Of course, winning is all that matters. And if Udonis Haslem isn't suspended for Game 2 after throwing his mouthpiece and being ejected in Game 1, it will help the Heat because, with Alonzo Mourning out, Haslem is Miami's only interior defender who actually works hard and fronts the post.

The Bulls don't double-team O'Neal, which brings the obvious question about doing so. But it's hard to see O'Neal with the energy to play against the Bulls' relentless attack. O'Neal did seem to tire after halftime and had none of his five blocks in the second half. He only went to the free-throw line eight times, which could call for more aggressive fouling when he has the ball. But it's a risky tactic for the Bulls, who have so few big men (what, you want Luke Schenscher in there?) and gives O'Neal time to rest.

The Bulls did a decent job despite his point total, and it's not like they leave O'Neal one-on-one. They were good at stunting and returning and collapsing when he spins, so he had few dunks.

The Bulls don't want to leave shooters open, something Miami has issues with. Jason Williams made a pair of threes, but Riley is reluctant to leave Williams' passing lane defense out there. Antoine Walker showed he still has trouble finishing strong at the basket with several blown layups and as a standstill shooter was 0-for-4 on threes. And though Gary Payton did a decent job on Ben Gordon late—Riley promised they'd stay closer to Gordon next time after his 35 points—Gordon got to the basket when O'Neal was out more than usual.

There was the Andres Nocioni factor too. Nocioni quickly moved into the opposing fans' most-hated category he usually occupies, leading some to wonder if the Heat will lose its composure as Haslem did with his mouthpiece toss.

"You've got to have a little more emotional stability in the playoffs," Riley said. "It's a physical game and guys get upset. I didn't think [Saturday] night was overly bad from our standpoint. The one incident with Udonis … he lost it and I don't think he'll do it again."

Riley seemed to imply Game 1 was a wake-up call for his team, which he said hadn't worked hard for about 10 days before the game. The playoffs are usually about subtle adjustments, and though the Heat players seemed to roll their eyes about the Bulls' 13-for-26 shooting on threes, the Heat has a reputation for being unable to close on the perimeter.

Though veteran talent is important for the playoffs, it also can bring with it old, tired legs. The Heat has its share. The Heat did have a 39-17 free-throw advantage, but the Bulls didn't seem upset with the officiating. It's the difference with a drive-and-kick and pick-and-pop team as the Bulls are versus the postup-minded Heat.

With the Nets' loss to the Pacers on Sunday, it's likely the Bulls-Heat winner almost gets a pass to the conference finals. The Bulls' go-go attack is not about to stop.

"They play the game real hard," Riley said. "They maximize their talent, play great defense. They are committed to over-helping. There are a lot of opportunities [for us] there, more opportunities than danger [for us]."

Wade was getting treatment, O'Neal had played his best in months. They got little support and too much ill-advised emotion. That doesn't seem like a championship team.

sasmith@tribune.com