Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Donaghy: other refs altered playoff games
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Balta1701-B
Since this is an NBA forum, this belongs here somewhere. Thoughts? Do you believe him? How would you feel about the game if what he said was true? I think anyone out there who watched the 02 game 6 always had a feeling on that one.
Disgraced ex-referee Tim Donaghy alleged as much Tuesday in a filing made by his attorney in U.S. District Court in New York, saying the highly controversial Game 6 of the Lakers-Kings playoff series in 2002 was impacted by the actions of two of the three referees who worked the game.

In the letter submitted by Donaghy's attorney, the following "manipulation" is alleged:

"Referees A, F and G were officiating a playoff series between Teams 5 and 6 in May of 2002. It was the sixth game of a seven-game series, and a Team 5 victory that night would have ended the series. However, Tim learned from Referee A that Referees A and F wanted to extend the series to seven games. Tim knew referees A and F to be "company men," always acting in the interest of the NBA, and that night, it was in the NBA's interest to add another game to the series. Referees A and F heavily favored Team 6. Personal fouls [resulting in obviously injured players] were ignored even when they occurred in full view of the referees. Conversely, the referees called made-up fouls on Team 5 in order to give additional free throw opportunities for Team 6. Their foul-calling also led to the ejection of two Team 5 players. The referees' favoring of Team 6 led to that team's victory that night, and Team 6 came back from behind to win that series."

Although no teams are specifically named, it is not hard to deduce the game in question. The Lakers-Kings series was the only one that postseason that went seven games, and the officiating in Game 6 was so questionable that consumer advocate and former presidential candidate Ralph Nader called for a formal investigation.

The Lakers attempted 40 free throws to the Kings' 25 in that game, and Los Angeles made 21-of-27 from the line while Sacramento converted 7-of-9 in the fourth quarter alone.

In addition, a foul was called against Mike Bibby of the Kings after he was shoved and elbowed by Kobe Bryant, denying the Kings an opportunity to try for a tying basket. Also in that game, Kings centers Vlade Divac and Scot Pollard fouled out, and Kings coach Rick Adelman was highly critical of the officiating afterward.

"My first thought [upon hearing Donaghy's allegation] was: I knew it," Pollard said Tuesday night. "I'm not going to say there was a conspiracy. I just think something wasn't right. It was unfair. We didn't have a chance to win that game."

The Lakers went on to win the 2002 NBA championship.
dasox24
Well, I don't know if he's telling the truth or not, but it does seem to add up to that Lakers-Kings game, doesn't it? I'll say this: It wouldn't surprise me at all if this was true.
SoxFan1
The Kings were my 2nd team for years back in the Bibby-Christie-Peja-CWebb-Divac days. This game was fixed, I'm 99% sure of it. And I wouldn't be surprised in the least if other Kings/Lakers games/series' were fixed. Bibby's nose fouling Kobe's elbow? Christie's forehead fouling Kobe's elbow. The FT discrepancies, especially in the 4th quarter. Give me a break. This pisses me off, seeing as how the Kings were so close so many times.
Balta1701-B
If the Kings had won that game 6 and gone on to win a title...would Chris Webber have hit the "Hall of fame" qualifications in people's minds?
dasox24
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jun 12 2008, 12:09 PM) *
If the Kings had won that game 6 and gone on to win a title...would Chris Webber have hit the "Hall of fame" qualifications in people's minds?

Probably not. I think he was most definitely talented enough to make the hall of fame, but all the games he missed due to injuries is what keeps him out, in my opinion. I mean, when the guy played he was dominant for a solid 12 year period. But, in his 14 year career (not counting this year 'cause he only played 9 games), he only played more than 70 games in a season 5 times. If he could have stayed healthier and averaged 70 games a season for 14 years (which is still missing a lot of games), he would have likely been in the Top 30 All-Time in both scoring and rebounding considering his career averages. So, while he had the talent to be in the Hall of Fame, he just missed too many games to warrant him getting in.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jun 12 2008, 12:09 PM) *

Absolutely. A 20 and 10 guy and one of the best passing PF's ever to grace the court. Even without the championship, I think he deserves a shot at the HOF. I'll never forget his 51/26 night vs Indiana. People quickly forget how dominant he was in his prime. I'd venture to say a better Dwight Howard.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.