Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who wins the Rookie of the Year?
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Chicago Bulls Franchise
Since Oden was unable to play a single second in an NBA game last year he is still a "Rookie" and he's essentially in this rookie class. If I had to guess I would say Oden wins it because he will be on a really good team and will have I guess a years more worth of knowledge even if he hasn't played yet. Who do you think?
Balta1701-B
I had to say Beasley. I'm not convinced Oden will come back anywhere near to where he was at OSU for a while (see: Amare), with a guy like Rose, on a team like the Bulls, I just think it'll take him a while to get adapted to the league...I think Beasley has the best course. If he's drafted by Miami, he gets to be the 2nd or 3rd option with one of the best players in the NBA creating for him on a front line that is pretty weak in rebounding other than him, I think he's got a shot to put up solid overall numbers as a rook. I think even if Mayo goes to the Heat somehow instead I'd still take Beasley, because I think his rebounding numbers will carry him in that regard.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
I think that Beasley's stats will out-due Oden's but I still don't think the Heat will make any sorta noise like I think Portland can with a young core of Roy, Aldridge, Oden, and Outlaw. I see Greg getting around 8-10 ppg 8-10 rpg and Michael will probably be around that 18-20 ppg 7-9 rpg area. I think this will be the most exciting ROY race in a while; especially with those first four guys I mentioned above.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Jun 12 2008, 07:19 PM) *
I think that Beasley's stats will out-due Oden's but I still don't think the Heat will make any sorta noise like I think Portland can with a young core of Roy, Aldridge, Oden, and Outlaw. I see Greg getting around 8-10 ppg 8-10 rpg and Michael will probably be around that 18-20 ppg 7-9 rpg area. I think this will be the most exciting ROY race in a while; especially with those first four guys I mentioned above.

Why are you so sure that the Bulls will take Rose? This is really premature, seeing as how the draft hasn't even taken place yet.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 12 2008, 07:23 PM) *
Why are you so sure that the Bulls will take Rose? This is really premature, seeing as how the draft hasn't even taken place yet.

Everyone knows the Bulls are going to take Rose, everytime Paxson talks about the draft he's always talking about him more than Beasley and even said today that he may be leaning towards a player now but also said it could change between now and the draft. Not to mention the interviewing process and background checks which will favor Rose. All signs point to him being our pick, everybody is saying it and if he's not, then that will obviously be an incredibly big shock to not only me but to 90% of Bulls fans.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 12 2008, 05:23 PM) *

If the poll is asking us to predict in to the future to guess who will be the ROY, I think predicting how this year's draft go certainly isn't as big of a jump, and is allowed within the parameters of the question since the location a player winds up is going to impact the ROY race.
Steve9347
It's impossible to pick RoY until you know what teams these guys will be on...
ZoomSlowik
I agree with Steve to some extent, but I'll play along...

I think it'll come down to Beasley and Oden. Beasley will most likely have better stats, but Oden will probably put up good but not great stats on a better team. I don't see Rose playing well enough as a rookie PG and I think Mayo is going to have good scoring numbers but his shooting percentage and TO numbers will hurt and I have a harder time seeing his team succeed.

One thing on Oden: this is a bit different from the Stoudemire situation for a couple of reasons. One, from all accounts it wasn't as serious an injury/surgery, two, Oden will have over an entire calendar year to recover while Stoudemire tried to come back about 6 months later and suffered a setback. Of course the wildcard is another set-back somewhere, which is part of the reason Stoudemire's return to full strength got pushed back. However, even in that "slow return" he averaged 20-10 after he got back full time and his splits were pretty even. I'm not saying he's going to come in and average 22-12 and won't struggle to shake off the rust at first, but even if he's at 80 or 90 percent at first he's better than an awful lot of centers in the league and should be in the conversation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.