Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Poll v. 2.0
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Balta1701-B
Ok, workouts and interviews are done, we actually have a coach now, no trades have happened yet so we have some idea of where our roster stands and the draft is less than a week away.

Who do ya got?
Chicago Bulls Franchise
I'm still a Rose guy. My stance hasn't really changed all that much from the end of the NCAA season to now..
DutheDoduhon21
looks like im the only one going with beasley so far. picked him before all the hype and im sticking with it, but i like rose too.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
Can you believe it?? 4 MORE DAYS TILL THE DRAFT!!!!!! biggrin.gif
heirdog
This team needs Rose. Beasley is a fine player and will be successful in the league but if you look at the NBA today and the comparisons of the two players, then I would take a Chris Paul/Deron Williams than a Carmelo Anthony. With DRose, Deng can be a 20 ppg scorer and if we keep Gordon, he can be a 25 ppg scorer. Tyrus will be better, Joakim will be better and Gooden will provide a stable PF that will only get better with Rose.

The impact of Beasley will be his scoring and rebounding and perhaps more open looks for Gordon and Hinrich.

Give me Rose.
soxfan3530
I could type a 15 page essay about why Derrick Rose is the right pick, but it wouldn't be anything that has been discussed at nauseum on this board so i will make it simple. Derrick Rose, without a question, end of story.
Chisoxfn
I still lean a bit to Beasley. I honestly don't care either way, but to me Beasley is that 25+ PPG scorer that is relatively rare in the NBA. I look back at that past couple years and think what the Bulls lacked and it was that true scorer (and post player). Sure we had Gordon whose a pure scorer, but Gordon doesn't have the ability to be a consistently good scorer while Beasley should develop into that guy who will put up 25 on a good day or bad day (because he has such a wide arsenal, plus he doesn't have the limitations of a Gordon).

The one issue is that this means hte Bulls either play small (using Beasley as a 4 with Deng as a 3) or they play big (Beasley at 3, Deng at 2 which could be poor defensively). So by drafting Beasley, you may now have to move Deng, who is the best player on your roster. I still believe Hinrich is adequate and in fact, with Gordon off the court and a legitimate scorer I think he becomes a much better player than he was this past season.

I think the key comes down to who would you rather trade. You draft Rose and you now move Gordon/Hinrich and than go with the other as the starter and Sef as the main man off the bench (he'll get tons of minutes). Personally I don't mind starting with Rose/Hinrich and using Sef as the bench guy and at all times make sure one of Hinrich/Rose is on the court (as the pure point). You than use Gordon and some others to swing a deal for another big.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 23 2008, 10:39 AM) *
I still lean a bit to Beasley. I honestly don't care either way, but to me Beasley is that 25+ PPG scorer that is relatively rare in the NBA. I look back at that past couple years and think what the Bulls lacked and it was that true scorer (and post player). Sure we had Gordon whose a pure scorer, but Gordon doesn't have the ability to be a consistently good scorer while Beasley should develop into that guy who will put up 25 on a good day or bad day (because he has such a wide arsenal, plus he doesn't have the limitations of a Gordon).

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you here. I don't think the one thing the Bulls lacked was either of the things you say they lacked. What I think the Bulls lacked was a shot-creator.

Allow me to explain. The Bulls have a lot of guys who are solid #2 or #3 options. Hinrich, Deng, Gordon, maybe throw in some of the guys who have come through like Chandler, Wallace, Gooden, etc. But the one thing they haven't had is anyone the defense has to game plan for, they haven't had anyone with the ability to dismantle a defense and force them out of their normal roles.

You can play Hinrich, Gordon, Deng, etc., all 1 on 1 and you're not going to get torched for 50 most nights, or even if you do, then you still expect to shut down some of the other guys. One way out of this problem is to have a guy who breaks down the defense. There are several varieties of them in the NBA. The big guy in the low post can do it, because the defense has to double team him and that creates mismatches. The slashing point guard can do it by driving in to the lane and breaking down the defense. The SF/SG can do it by drawing the defense away from the basket towards them. Etc.

The Bulls did ok without this for a while thanks, IMO, to Scott Skiles's offense. The Bulls were at their best in 06-07 when they were moving the ball a lot. When they made a lot of passes, moved the ball around, they tended to catch the defense off guard in some spot and that would open up a shot for them. Gordon and Deng occasionally did some dribble-driving then, but not enough to truly break apart another team. The thing they relied on was ball movement. It worked for a time, but when the whole damn thing came crashing down last November, that's one of the first things to go, the ball movement, and the offense fell apart in no small part thanks to that.

Beasley hopefully should be able to work in this role, as a shot-creator for everyone else, because he hopefully is the kind of guy the defense has to game plan for so that he doesn't just torch them. But don't count out Rose for that role either. One key reason why CP3, DW, etc. are so good is that they are able to break down a defense and create shots for everyone else on their team despite not being that low post scorer. If you've got a player who can do it, then you're in good shape.
Steve9347
I'm still thinking passing on Beasley is going to bite us in the ass.
DutheDoduhon21
wasnt sure where to put this, didnt want to start a new thread but del negro was on espn today talking about the draft and lu and BGs contracts, it sounded like they really want to keep both of them, and he said he talked to them and they both would like to be bulls for a long lime. he talked very highly of rose and beasley, and said the choice will be pax's.
you can watch that here http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/...82&n8pe6c=1
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.