Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Assistant Coach Talk...
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
SoxFan1
Bickerstaff Interviews With Bulls

Former Bobcats' Coach Bernie Bickerstaff interviewed for an assistant coach position with Vinny Del Negro and the Chicago Bulls on Monday, the Chicago Tribune is reporting.

Bickerstaff follows interviews with former Head Coaches Bob Hill, Paul Westphal, and Del Harris that took place last week.

Apparently Bob Hill is a lock, because he's been an NBA coach before and is close to Del Negro.
dasox24
I guess we can assume Hill will be on the staff for sure... I wouldn't mind Del Harris, not sure about Westphal or Bickerstaff. One thing I do want is some young blood on this staff, not just old head coach-types. Not that those types are bad, but a combination would be nice. We really do need a younger (former player?) coach who can better relate to the young guys on the team.
Wanne
What about Scottie?....didn't he voice his desire to coach a while back?
dasox24
QUOTE (Wanne @ Jun 24 2008, 06:32 PM) *

Yeah, he did. If I remember correctly, he talked about being the head coach, but if he wouldn't mind learning the ropes as an assistant, I wouldn't mind trying him out. If he sucks as a coach, it's only 1 year. It would be worth a shot.
DutheDoduhon21

he did voice his desire to coach after he slamed half the players on our roster like tyrus and BG. i wouldnt mind any of the coaches listed above, i think they would all help our team in their own way. pax said in a press conference today he will have the coaches by the end of the week.
Chisoxfn
I like a lot of those veteran assistant candidates. They all have a very good understanding of the game and should be assets to have on the staff.
dasox24
So I was listening to the K.C. Johnson chat on the Tribune's website, and it sounded like Bernie Bickerstaff and Del Harris are very likely to join the coaching staff. Bickerstaff would be the good player-relations guy and Harris is a very good developer of young players. Both would be great for the young guys on our team b/c they'd provide better communication and direction than the previous staff did.
Chisoxfn
Oh man, I'm a big Del Harris fan. Those two would be tremendous hires and give the Bulls the best assistant staff they have had since the Phil Jackson days. Oh man I'd be thrilled to death if we landed those two.
Chisoxfn
Bulls to Add TWolves Assistant
By Jason Gage
Chisport.com

Vinny Del Negro and John Paxson have been interviewing candidate after candidate for the open assistant coaching positions and it appears that the Bulls have settled on three names so far: Bernie Bickerstaff, Del Harris, and now Bob Ociepka.

Former NBA head coaches Bickerstaff and Harris are already in negotiations with the Bulls. Negotiations with Bick have gone smoothly while there has been a minor hold-up in the discussions with former Lakers head coach (and Mavs assistant) Del Harris.

Ociepka has years of experience and is considered a sharp “X’s & O’s” assistant. Below is his bio:

Bob Ociepka begins his 17th season as an NBA assistant coach and his first season with the Timberwolves. He spent the three previous three seasons (2003-06) as an assistant coach with the Milwaukee Bucks.

Ociepka has also worked for seven other NBA franchises: Indiana Pacers (1989-93), Los Angeles Clippers (1993–96), Philadelphia 76ers (1996-97), Cleveland Cavaliers (1999-2001) and the Detroit Pistons (1998-99, 2001-03). He also served as the Orlando Magic’s advance scout during the 1997-98 campaign.

A native of Chicago, Ociepka played college basketball at Quincy (Ill.) College. He began his career in the NBA with Detroit in the 1980s as a part-time volunteer scout while coaching high school basketball. In the early ‘80s, Ociepka was one of the Chicago area’s most respected prep coaches at Gordon Tech and York High Schools. On May 4, 2000, his coaching efforts were recognized as he was inducted into the Chicago Catholic League Hall of Fame.

Ociepka has authored two books on the game of basketball. His first effort, “Basketball Playbook: Plays From the Pros,” which was published in 1995, gives an overview of NBA strategies. His second book, “Basketball Playbook 2: More Plays from the Pros,” was published in 2001.
DutheDoduhon21
Bulls to Add TWolves Assistant

im not sure i understand the story, did they already sign ociepka or are they just in talks? i would really like to have bickerstaff and/or harris.
dasox24
If our coaching staff includes those 3 next year, I'll be pretty darn happy. Seems like we're gonna have a lot of experience on that bench next year. Should definitely help out not only the development of our players, but the development of Vinny as a coach. It'll be nice for him to have so much experience to lean back on.
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (DutheDoduhon21 @ Jun 29 2008, 09:46 PM) *
im not sure i understand the story, did they already sign ociepka or are they just in talks? i would really like to have bickerstaff and/or harris.

Until they are announced, it isn't official, but everyone around the org is acting as if it is a done deal. Bickerstaff also sounds like a done deal and the only question is whether Harris is still on board or if Ociepka is getting hired instead of Harris (although the Bulls still act as if they are interested in Harris).

Del Harris is my favorite of all the assistants so I definately hope they can get through the impass in negotiations and we clearly know the impasse is over money as Harris is a very well thought of assistant (whom I really liked as a head coach).
Chisoxfn
Bulls have confirmed the hiring of Bickerstaff and Ociepka. One of the other assistants expected to be hired is either Del Harris or Paul Westphal. Bulls are still negotiating with Harris despite the minor hiccup but Its anyones guess as to whether he joins the ranks.

If he does, I wouldn't expect the Bulls to push for Westphal, but bringing on Harris gives the Bulls a tremendous group of assistants.
dasox24
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 30 2008, 09:04 PM) *
Bulls have confirmed the hiring of Bickerstaff and Ociepka. One of the other assistants expected to be hired is either Del Harris or Paul Westphal. Bulls are still negotiating with Harris despite the minor hiccup but Its anyones guess as to whether he joins the ranks.

If he does, I wouldn't expect the Bulls to push for Westphal, but bringing on Harris gives the Bulls a tremendous group of assistants.

Great news... Here's a little article about it from the Tribune.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...1,5954554.story

Bulls hire 2 assistant coaches
Team hires Bickerstaff, Ociepka as assistants

By K.C. Johnson | Tribune staff reporter
9:25 PM CDT, June 30, 2008

Bernie Bickerstaff and Bob Ociepka have agreed to terms to be assistant coaches on Vinny Del Negro's first staff, sources said.

Negotiations with Del Harris hit some snags but are ongoing, meaning neither side would be surprised if talks concluded successfully or broke off.

Bob Hill is no longer under consideration, sources said, and Paul Westphal's status is unclear. Hill, Westphal, Harris and Bickerstaff all are veteran head coaches who were sought to assist Del Negro's transition.

Bickerstaff is 414-512 in stints with Seattle, Denver, Washington and Charlotte. He last coached in 2006-07, going 33-49 with the Bobcats before moving into management.

Ociepka owns 18 seasons of assistant-coaching experience with eight franchises, including his most recent stint in Minnesota. The Chicago native played at downstate Quincy College and also coached Gordon Tech and York High Schools. He's a member of the Chicago Catholic League Hall of Fame.

Besides veteran coaches, the Bulls will hire younger, development-type assistant coaches. Mike Brown served in that capacity last season.
Chisoxfn
Monday's deadline passed with the Nuggets making no announcement on picking up the $972,581 qualifying offer of guard Yakhouba Diawara, which would make him an unrestricted free agent instead of restricted.

"I guess there's no tender," Diawara's agent, Buona Ndiaye said Monday night.

Diawara said he hadn't spoken to any Nuggets official for a month and had no idea whether the team still has interest in him.

Nuggets executive Mark Warkentien declined comment.

Diawara said his former Pepperdine coach, Paul Westphal, is close to becoming a Chicago assistant and he would have interest in signing there. Other teams expected to look at Diawara are Dallas, Miami and San Antonio.

Initial reports made it sound as if the talks with Paul Westphal had died, but it sounds like the Bulls are still taking about hiring him. My guess is it will be only one of Del Harris & Paul Westphal but as long as they get one of them I'd be thrilled. If they got two of them, we are talking about quite possibly the best set of assistants in the NBA. Harris has been a part of what I believe are two NBA titles, but Westphal is about as innovative of an offensive mind as it gets (former Pepperdine coach).
dasox24
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 1 2008, 07:42 PM) *
Initial reports made it sound as if the talks with Paul Westphal had died, but it sounds like the Bulls are still taking about hiring him. My guess is it will be only one of Del Harris & Paul Westphal but as long as they get one of them I'd be thrilled. If they got two of them, we are talking about quite possibly the best set of assistants in the NBA. Harris has been a part of what I believe are two NBA titles, but Westphal is about as innovative of an offensive mind as it gets (former Pepperdine coach).

Man, if we could get both Harris and Westphal, that would be amazing. And I think you're right, if that were to happen, we might have the best set of assistants in the NBA. Unfortunately, the talks with Harris seem to have hit a bigger snag than originally thought, so I'm not expecting us to sign him. It's a shame too b/c I really hope the Bulls would do all they could to get a coach of his caliber on this staff.
Clifton Pondexter
According to reports out of Dallas, Harris is expected to sign on with the Bullies today.
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (Clifton Pondexter @ Jul 2 2008, 07:52 AM) *
According to reports out of Dallas, Harris is expected to sign on with the Bullies today.

Oh man, freaking sweet. Thats the best news since the Rose signing. Bickerstaff, Del Harris, Ocienka (or whatever the hell his name is) and apparently they are still going to talk with Westphal (which really makes little sense, but hell, if you want to bring in another highly qualified veteran assistant, so be it).

Now lets just get a real solid young assistant or two to work with the bigs and guards. IF PJ Brown were to retire, I'd see if he was interested in becoming a big man coach.
Chisoxfn
Del Harris is off to the Windy City
Del Harris is bidding farewell to the Mavericks after accepting a position on Vinny Del Negro’s new staff in Chicago. A former head coach with the Rockets, Bucks and Lakers, Harris came to Dallas to work with former coach Don Nelson back in 2000.

Harris also served on former coach Avery Johnson’s staff before spending last year as a team consultant. Harris owns more than 500 career wins in additional to an extensive international résumé.

On top of that Mike McGraw is reporting that the Bulls will be keeping Pete Myers as the bench coach (the role he handled last year). It is unclear who the developmental assistants will be, but Mike Brown (who was brought on at some point last season to help mentor the big's) will likely keep such role as well.
dasox24
QUOTE (Clifton Pondexter @ Jul 2 2008, 09:52 AM) *

Great news! Now, let's just lock up a young, former-player as a coach and/or Westphal, and call it a day. I would absolutely love that coaching staff.
SoxFan1
Have we got an amazing set of assistant coaches or what!?!? This has been much better than our head coaching search!
Chicago Bulls Franchise
Does anyone else think its a little funny how Bob Hill just vanished into thin air? I thought he was supposed to be a lock.
SoxFan1
Harris, Ociepka, Bickerstaff officially hired. Talk about an expeiences staff for your new head coach. Del Negro, Harris, Bickerstaff, Ociepka, and Meyers is your official coaching staff. Well done Pax.

http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/assistants_080703.html
TeaLeafReaderII
are they keeping the big man coach?

I hope Del Negro has some cajones because he is going to have two expirienced guys in the background ready to step in if he falters.
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (TeaLeafReaderII @ Jul 4 2008, 07:50 AM) *
are they keeping the big man coach?

I hope Del Negro has some cajones because he is going to have two expirienced guys in the background ready to step in if he falters.

It sounds like Mike Brown, who was the big man coach last year, will likely stick around but nothing is official.
DutheDoduhon21
im exited about the coaching staff, its going to help del negro alot and make the transition alot easier for him and the players. what are they doing with ron adams? i remember reading adams and meyers would still have a spot in the organization.
Big Chief Triangle
QUOTE (DutheDoduhon21 @ Jul 4 2008, 01:22 PM) *
im exited about the coaching staff, its going to help del negro alot and make the transition alot easier for him and the players. what are they doing with ron adams? i remember reading adams and meyers would still have a spot in the organization.

Pete Myers will remain as the bench coach, aka Cheerleader without the pom-poms, and Ron Adams has taken on a scouting role in the organization.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.