Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chicago Bulls Select Derrick Rose #1 overall
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Steve9347
link

The Bulls select Memphis freshman Derrick Rose. No shock here. He wore No. 23 for the Tigers, but for obvious reasons can't wear it in Chicago. Rose looks sharp in a grey-ish suit with grey and purple stripe tie. At least from my tiny TV on my desk at work. It's the Bulls first No. 1 pick since 1999. His nickname is "Pooh" from his grandma becuase he likes to eat sweets a lot. And it's fun to say. He has "Poohdini" tattooed on his shoulder. Oh my.

Jay Bilas tells us that Rose "can dunk with his elbows." This guy is good! Here comes the interview with the soft-spoken Stephen A. Smith. Nothing doing there. Doris Burke chats with him mom...she's happy he'll be nice and close.
Chisoxfn
Nice
GreatScott82
Great news for the Bulls!!
Cowch
I'm so glad I don't have to worry Pax will mess up anymore. Even if Beasley ends up being the better player I'm saying now that I am happy he went with Rose.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
Well I'm glad the drama is over. Both Beasley and Rose will be AllStars for years to come; more than likely Beasley get their before our guy but playing point guard in this league is the toughest position to learn so I'm expecting him to grow as the year goes on. Beasley probably can come in right away and average 18 and 8 for the Heat but in the end I think taking Derrick was the right choice.
SoxFan1
Rose will be throwing out the 1st pitch at the Cubs/Sox game tomorrow and affirmed that he was indeed a White Sox fan.
dasox24
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 26 2008, 10:21 PM) *
affirmed that he was indeed a White Sox fan.

What a badass bullssmilie1.jpg headbang.gif
Sanitarium
best thing about drafting rose right now: 100% certainty that chris duhon will never play in a bulls uniform again
DutheDoduhon21
affirmed that he was indeed a White Sox fan.

awesome, like him even more now. a CSN reporter asked him about throwing out the first pitch, and after he was like "what time does the game start?". laugh.gif listened to pax and vinny talk for a little and pax said "tyrus is going to be a much better player because of rose" sounds like he plans to keep tyrus.
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (Sanitarium @ Jun 26 2008, 09:48 PM) *
best thing about drafting rose right now: 100% certainty that chris duhon will never play in a bulls uniform again

Don't be so sure. While I expect Duhon to be gone, you have to remember the franchise may move Hinrich now (as opposed to waiting a season to do it) and at that point you will be talking about Rose as the only PG and if this team plans on competing for the playoffs they'll need a veteran point guard to help Rose and that very well could be Duhon.

I wouldn't at all be opposed to keeping Hinrich for this season and letting him help the Bulls out while we go through Rose's growing pains. Not only do I think it will be good for Rose, but I still believe Hinrich is a good player and I'd expect his trade value to actually increase. However, it is obvious that the Bulls are going to have to clear out that gut of guards and the only two guys out of Hinrich/Rose/Sef/Gordon/Hughes that I wouldn't trade are Sef & Rose.
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (DutheDoduhon21 @ Jun 26 2008, 09:50 PM) *
awesome, like him even more now. a CSN reporter asked him about throwing out the first pitch, and after he was like "what time does the game start?". laugh.gif listened to pax and vinny talk for a little and pax said "tyrus is going to be a much better player because of rose" sounds like he plans to keep tyrus.

I like the guys that have been listed as potential assistant coaches (Bickerstaff and Harris would be tremenodus hires, but the Bulls will still need to get a legit big man coach and I'm curious as to who that will be). The big coach will be very key to the development of Tyrus and Noah. Probably more so Noah as he's a truer big but in Thomas case he clearly needs a different style of coaching and I think having Harris/Bick and Del Negro around should be good.

Rose may be able to help out Tyrus as well, but it won't be for another year or two. However, there is no denying Thomas athletic ability is top notch and greater than his current trade value so its probably best the Bulls keep Tyrus (and I personally have no problem keeping him because he is still incredibly young and talented, but if his attitude doesn't improve this season, than he's gone). Notice I said attitude and not production because I really think him getting stronger and better mentally is about all it will take for him to begin to reach his potential.
DutheDoduhon21
just so you know Rose press conference wil be 11:00 am central on monday on CSN.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
I think the most important part of Rose's game is his slashing ability, its Tony Parker-esque. His game virtually makes the Bulls an inside out team where Rose gets into the paint and can either put it up and get a foul or dish it out to a perimeter player for a wide open three pointer.
eddog2
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Jun 27 2008, 12:32 AM) *
I think the most important part of Rose's game is his slashing ability, its Tony Parker-esque. His game virtually makes the Bulls an inside out team where Rose gets into the paint and can either put it up and get a foul or dish it out to a perimeter player for a wide open three pointer.

That's exactly how I feel. And that exactly why I would like to see BG stay a Bull. BG might actually average close to 25 ppg this year if him and Rose play big minutes together.
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (eddog2 @ Jun 28 2008, 07:10 PM) *
That's exactly how I feel. And that exactly why I would like to see BG stay a Bull. BG might actually average close to 25 ppg this year if him and Rose play big minutes together.

I can't stand Ben Gordon, but it sounds like a lot of experts around the league have a similar opinion and because of that i'm guessing we'll end up seeing Gordon resigned to an extension.
SoxFan1
Press conference was this morning at 11 AM. He's such a humble kid. I love it.
DutheDoduhon21
Press conference was this morning at 11 AM. He's such a humble kid. I love it.

yeah he is. he seemed a little more loose today with the chicago media than he did all last week. there was some good laughs in there too. rose was like im happy to be here, and pax was like "you better be". lol
Chicago Bulls Franchise
My favorite moment out of the whole thing was when they were done with the questions and you heard Rose say to John, "Do I thank them for coming?" That just says it all to me, what a humble kid we got here in ChiTown.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Jun 30 2008, 03:44 PM) *
My favorite moment out of the whole thing was when they were done with the questions and you heard Rose say to John, "Do I thank them for coming?" That just says it all to me, what a humble kid we got here in ChiTown.

Yeah, I noticed that too. When Pax was looking over, Rose just glanced at him and said "Can I say thanks?" and then Pax whipped out that pretty little jersey.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
PICTURES

Tyrus supporting our number 1 draft pick!! Also Rose mentioned Joakim and Ben Gordon were there to ask him questions.
DutheDoduhon21

lol i didnt catch that, i thought he said is that it. found some pictures
here: http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news;_...p;fr=&x=wrt
and here: http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.a...e&src=quick
bulls.com has video and audio for thoose who missed it.
DutheDoduhon21
PICTURES

lol posted a the same time.
SoxFan1
I am SO glad Tyrus was there for Rose's press conference. That makes me feel a lot better about the entire situation.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 30 2008, 04:45 PM) *
I am SO glad Tyrus was there for Rose's press conference. That makes me feel a lot better about the entire situation.

Lol, I just took those pictures from another site and that pic was already like that so I just posted it.. tongue.gif
Steve9347
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Jun 30 2008, 04:49 PM) *
Lol, I just took those pictures from another site and that pic was already like that so I just posted it.. tongue.gif

what site.
DutheDoduhon21
i think tyrus is a keeper. hes doing everything right this offseason. i also like all of the support the players have been showing him, it makes me really exited about the season.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (steve9347 @ Jun 30 2008, 04:50 PM) *
what site.

It was posted at RealGM
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 30 2008, 02:36 PM) *

I sense the sarcasm, but it is a good sign that Tyrus is there to meet the new first round pick. Plus its an indications that he's hopefully been in contact with the organization and doing a good job training (I think he's been working with Thorpe).
dasox24
Damn, it looks good to see Rose on that court. #1 was a great choice for him. It just looks right on him...
SoxFan1

Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 1 2008, 02:48 AM) *

Pardon me a moment, while I wipe away my tears..
SoxFan1
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Jul 1 2008, 05:14 PM) *
Pardon me a moment, while I wipe away my tears..

No kidding. Those pictures are surreal.
Bullies4Life
3 Things that really stood out for me about Rose...

-1st, He has a loooooong way to go on his leadership skills. He's not very vocal, and he doesnt have too much experience because he was the youngest out of 4 kids.... That being said, im glad he said that he IS going to be a leader. Im glad he recognizes that.

-2nd, he is willing to listen and learn. That's huge. This guy could go very far...

-3rd... He's very confident
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (Bullies4Life @ Jul 2 2008, 08:57 PM) *
3 Things that really stood out for me about Rose...

-1st, He has a loooooong way to go on his leadership skills. He's not very vocal, and he doesnt have too much experience because he was the youngest out of 4 kids.... That being said, im glad he said that he IS going to be a leader. Im glad he recognizes that.

-2nd, he is willing to listen and learn. That's huge. This guy could go very far...

-3rd... He's very confident

From what I've seen, Rose is a completely different person on the court than off. If you saw the NCAA tournament, you saw him lay it all on the line, he was the leader of that team and I don't think you'll have a problem with him speaking up when it comes game time. I could care less if he's good with the "Media" or not.
DutheDoduhon21

i can say as a quiet person it is totaly different on the court or field or whatever than it is off. with the media he is very quiet but on the court i think he is the total opposite. also rose being a leader is just as much leading by example as it is vocal.
Bullies4Life
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Jul 2 2008, 09:52 PM) *
From what I've seen, Rose is a completely different person on the court than off. If you saw the NCAA tournament, you saw him lay it all on the line, he was the leader of that team and I don't think you'll have a problem with him speaking up when it comes game time. I could care less if he's good with the "Media" or not.

DutheDoduhon21
i can say as a quiet person it is totaly different on the court or field or whatever than it is off. with the media he is very quiet but on the court i think he is the total opposite. also rose being a leader is just as much leading by example as it is vocal.

I'm with you guys, I understand he is going to be the leader of the team... If everything goes as planned, he's going to be the best player in the Bulls roster (unless they make a trade).... That alone will make him the leader of the team. Last year, the Bulls didnt have a clear-cut on who was the best player of the team...

As far as leading by example goes... That can only take you so far... Just look at Ben Wallace... He was also brought in as leader, to lead by example... work hard etc.... But he's not much a vocal guy and that was needed. At the same time, i understand that he started to decline, and players stopped looking up to him pretty quickly.

-The Bulls need a player that also gets onto their teamates.. Players sometimes need a different voice than the coaches... As of today, IMO, Joakim Noah is the best leader. He's a natural born leader. He's someone that looks like he will be able to push everyone when things arent going too good on the court. Is Rose ever going to get to Joakim's level, is he ever going to look like a guy that people say, "that guy look like a natural born leader"...? Maybe, maybe not... But I'm sure he'll be just fine because he understands, knows what the role of playing the point guard is all about, what he's suppose to do, and the key... he's willing to listen.

-In brief, In my opinion, when Rose takes over as the Bulls best player, he will be the leader of the team, and im sure he will be just fine in that role. When he really starts feeling comfortable around everyone, and people start to look up at him because he's the best player, Rose will open up more. Pretty much the same as Memphis. That being said, Joakim will definitely be one of our true vocal leaders of the team... And that is something very important to have in a team. bullssmilie1.jpg
DutheDoduhon21
Bulls rookie battling tendinitis
Posted: Sunday July 06, 2008 09:26AM ET
Derrick Rose participated in the night practice of Saturday's double sessions for Bulls' summer-league mini-camp despite battling tendinitis in his right knee. The No. 1 pick limped noticeably following the morning practice, his knee wrapped in ice, but vowed not to miss games at the Orlando Pro Summer League beginning Monday. "I've been coming 90 minutes early every day to get treatment," Rose said. "I'll be fine." Rose said the condition dates to his one season at Memphis and developed for noble reasons.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.