Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whats next?
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
GreatScott82
http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=213358&src=150
Go ahead and let the good times roll for a few weeks. The Bulls cashed in their lottery luck and Thursday night by selecting sensational Chicago native Derrick Rose.

Rose's streak of leading his team to the championship round for three straight years may be in jeopardy, but he should turn the Bulls into a fast, entertaining team. If Rose can break down defenders, then either score in the paint or find an open shooter, a formula for success will be found.

Since Rose took a break from meeting with the media to attend Friday's White Sox-Cubs game at U.S. Cellular Field - his official introduction will happen Monday at the United Center - here's a look at some questions facing the Bulls:

With Rose in town, is Kirk Hinrich definitely gone?

General manager John Paxson said no late Thursday night and there is reason to believe him. There is some confidence within the organization that Hinrich can shake off last year's disappointing performance and come back stronger.

If that's the case, Hinrich could certainly start next to Rose. The Bulls went to the playoffs twice with Hinrich and Chris Duhon in the starting backcourt.

At the same time, if Hinrich could fetch an inside scorer in return, it might make sense to use him as trade bait.

Which players should the Bulls target in a trade this summer?

Well, ex-Bull Elton Brand would be a great catch. They would just have to convince the Los Angeles Clippers that trading Brand now is the way to go, since he can leave as an unrestricted free agent next summer.

Trading Brand makes some sense. When was the last time the Clippers re-signed a coveted free agent? Remember, matching an offer sheet is not an option this time.

The Bulls' offer would probably start with Hinrich and Drew Gooden, two players the Clippers could use. But the Bulls would probably be asked to include a sweetener. If it's a future first-rounder, make the deal.

If the Clips want Tyrus Thomas, slow down.

Another good target would have been Portland's Channing Frye, a player with offensive potential who is something of a spare part.

But with the Blazers adding Arizona guard Jerryd Bayless in a trade with Indiana on Thursday night, their need for Hinrich may be gone.

Denver's Marcus Camby might be available. Miami doesn't seem to think Shawn Marion will stick around long-term. So there are a few ideas.

If Hinrich stays, does Ben Gordon go?

Probably not. In an era of higher-scoring games, those players who can get a team 9 points in three trips down the floor are powerful assets. Gordon is smart enough to understand his market value and should sign a new deal this summer.

Don't forget about the trade we mentioned here a few weeks ago: Larry Hughes to New York for Malik Rose and Jared Jeffries. Since Hughes' contract expires in two years and Jeffries' runs for three, that trade would stretch the Knicks' cap space by nearly $7 million in 2010. It makes sense for both sides.

Is Derrick Rose a starter on opening night?

Good question. Paxson made sure to preach Thursday that the Bulls will bring the 19-year-old along slowly. He also pointed out how Chris Paul and Deron Williams stayed in school longer than Rose's single season.

"We're going to have to manage expectations, there's no doubt about that," Paxson said. "This isn't going to be Derrick coming in the first day and everything being great. He's going to take time."

Patience with Rose will probably measured in months, not years. It's not like he's an NFL quarterback. He's going to play right away.

Did Paxson say anything else interesting?

He did acknowledge that Tyrus Thomas will be expected to blossom now that Rose is available to lead the break and throw alley-oop passes.

"If we can get Tyrus to use the athletic skills he has with a guard like Derrick - it might not be Day 1, but as the season goes along, I think that's going to be a huge thing for us," Paxson said.

Paxson also mentioned that assistant coach hires will wait until next week. The Bulls are talking to Del Harris and Bernie Bickerstaff, and may try to hire both.

Who is Omer Asik?

Paxson seemed very happy to land this 7-foot Turkish center in a three-team deal with Portland and Denver. The Blazers originally took Asik with the No. 36 pick in the second round. The Bulls sent two future second-round picks to the Blazers, while their own second-round selection, Arkansas forward Sonny Weems, went to Denver. Asik is expected to play overseas for a few years while the Bulls keep his rights.

"It's a futures play for us, but we're really excited about it," Paxson said. "We believe him to be a first-round type of talent."

I agree with Rozner... Make an offer Hinrich and Gooden and a #1 pick would be a great deal for the Clippers. Brand is likely to become an unrestricted free agent next summer anyway so if you can get Hinrich for 4 more years, a #1 pick plus a year of service from Gooden, thats a steal IMO. I think Brand is the answer he would provide leadership for Ty Thomas and Noah, he's a quite 20-10 guy per game, and he could be Rose's low post go-to guy. This all makes sense to me, thoughts? Doesnt this look good:
Derek Rose PG (Ben Gordon)
Larry Hughes SG (Thabo Sefolosha)
Luol Deng SF (Andres Nocioni)
Tyrus Thomas PF (Joakim Noah)
Elton Brand C (Aaron Gray)
TeaLeafReaderII
No way should Hughes be starting... Thabo fine... Kirk fine... Gordon fine... say no to hughes.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 28 2008, 10:56 AM) *
http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=213358&src=150

I agree with Rozner... Make an offer Hinrich and Gooden and a #1 pick would be a great deal for the Clippers. Brand is likely to become an unrestricted free agent next summer anyway so if you can get Hinrich for 4 more years, a #1 pick plus a year of service from Gooden, thats a steal IMO. I think Brand is the answer he would provide leadership for Ty Thomas and Noah, he's a quite 20-10 guy per game, and he could be Rose's low post go-to guy. This all makes sense to me, thoughts? Doesnt this look good:
Derek Rose PG (Ben Gordon)
Larry Hughes SG (Thabo Sefolosha)
Luol Deng SF (Andres Nocioni)
Tyrus Thomas PF (Joakim Noah)
Elton Brand C (Aaron Gray)

I don't like that lineup at all. Hughes will want to take away too many shots and I also disagree completely with letting Gordon handle the ball as a PG. I'd rather go with more D.

Rose PG
Thabo SG
Deng SF
Brand PF
Noah C

Having Gordon, Noc, and Hughes off the bench would be great with Rose.
Chisoxfn
I think next up is the negotiations with Deng/Gordon as well as which guard or guard(s) get traded. I expect the Bulls to primarily use three guards with a 4th being on the outside of the rotation and being capable of getting minutes at the 3 as well.

Rose/Thabo are two of the guys that will get significant minutes and the question is whether Hinrich or Gordon will be the 3rd (Hughes will be the 4th and get minutes at the 3/2/1).
dasox24
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 29 2008, 08:59 PM) *
I think next up is the negotiations with Deng/Gordon as well as which guard or guard(s) get traded. I expect the Bulls to primarily use three guards with a 4th being on the outside of the rotation and being capable of getting minutes at the 3 as well.

Rose/Thabo are two of the guys that will get significant minutes and the question is whether Hinrich or Gordon will be the 3rd (Hughes will be the 4th and get minutes at the 3/2/1).

I think you're right. Thabo is a guy I want to see get plenty of minutes 'cause I think he can be a very effective SG. We all know how good he is on the defensive end, and he'll be able to guard the bigger 2-guards of the NBA, unlike Ben Gordon. Plus, if he can play offensively like he did in that mid-January to early-March stretch of games (where he probably averaged like 14 ppg, 6 rebs, 1 stl, 1 blk, and 3 ast), then he'll be completely legit as a starter.

Truthfully, I like Hinrich a lot more than the average fan seems to, so whether we trade him or Gordon, I'll be happy either way as long as it brings us something valuable back in return (i.e. Elton Brand).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.