Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interview with John Paxson
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Chisoxfn
Here's a link to an interview done by Paxson. The interview was done by Doug Thonus, whose a really good Chicago Bulls Web Reporter.
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Summer...hn-Paxson-2959/

Paxson usually doesn't BS and is a very methodical person. It sounds as if the Bulls are going to take care of Deng/Gordon and than we'll see at least a deal or two (probably involving multiple players going for another key piece that can be put alongside Rose). I think Paxson has a legit plan in mind, the question is what is it and will it unfold the way he has planned. In the interview 2010 comes up and I can't tell how serious Paxson is regarding such. My main question is whether the rumors are true regarding Wade being headed to Chicago in 2010 (It would make a lot of sense and obviously a rumor at this point solely means there is interest from each party).
Chisoxfn
One very interesting quote which stuck out to me. Paxson noted how he does see value in acquiring a "star" player and than went on about how he was concerned regarding the youth of the squad. He mentioned the need for veterans and how Boston was able to win by adding a couple veterans to surround with Paul Pierce. His quote expanded to, "Being Young isn't always the ideal thing, but its where we are at right now. Hopefully we can take some of these guys and acquire a guy we really like, but thats the situation we are in right now".

Another nice quote is he basically disusses how Hughes will not be here for the life of his contract and pretty much states the point that his deal will come off the books (I'm guessing they deal him in the off-season or at the trade deadline). Didn't mention Gordon or Deng's deals coming off the books which I think is an indication that the Bulls plan on keeping both (and potentially using one or both to acquire that "star" player). However, it sounds like any deal involving Hughes would have to be part of a deal that brought a younger star in return (obviously not Hughes by himself). So I don't know how realistic that is.

Basically put, Hughes will either be kept around for his expiring contract (to help them get the piece), traded right now (to get a big piece) or bought out.
DutheDoduhon21
pax said alot of things i like in that interview.
We need to get certainty with Luol Deng and Ben Gordon's contracts

sounds like they intend to keep both of them, hopefully they ca get it done, i think it would be huge to have both of them here, and would help rose tremendously.
I think we'd love to be able to package players to get a really talented guy we can count on every night and we'll look at that, but when there's uncertainty like we have you have to be careful.

this quote really makes me think he is going to try and aquire a star to help rose, sounds like he has a player in mind. hopefully his plan plays out.
You saw with Boston they acquired two veteran all-star caliber players

he likes that our team is young but wants to add veterans to help our young guys along, we really need that. you can tell he has a plan in mind and i think that is why he is taking the approach of getting BG and lu signed first because he knows the moves he wants to make after that is acomplished.
Chisoxfn
A deal for Carmelo Anthony could make a lot of sense from the Bulls perspective (assuming Hinrich & Deng are the key pieces that get moved). Anthony is a tremendous scorer who is still very young and can fit into the Bulls long-term plans.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 10 2008, 01:40 PM) *
A deal for Carmelo Anthony could make a lot of sense from the Bulls perspective (assuming Hinrich & Deng are the key pieces that get moved). Anthony is a tremendous scorer who is still very young and can fit into the Bulls long-term plans.

I agree. I have a few problems with Carmelo though. His behavior issues are rather disturbing but the man can score and he's probably thee 2nd best pure scorer in this league if you'd rank them into categories with Kobe being number 1. Denver definitely needs a point guard so Iverson can come off the ball in which he's best at (Even though he's unbelievably short). The obvious starters in this deal would be Kirk, and Deng. After that its pretty up in the air.
motownbull71
I also liked what he had to say. He seems to be very realistic regarding the make-up of the team and the need to have a star and more veterans. Everyone is looking toward 2010's free agent class. It would be nice to be able to land one of the top stars. Pax talked about packaging players to get a star player. Who is out there of real value? T-Mac appears to be available. News out of Detroit is the Pistons are looking to get T-Mac for two of their starters and fillers if needed. I don't know if I would want T-Mac on this team. He has back problems which is very concerning. He does not seem to have great leadership skills. His talent is superior to anyone we have, but how much better would we be?

Right now the pickings appear to be slim for trade possibilities. We could go into the season as is. Yikes!!
GreatScott82
QUOTE (motownbull71 @ Jul 12 2008, 02:35 AM) *
I also liked what he had to say. He seems to be very realistic regarding the make-up of the team and the need to have a star and more veterans. Everyone is looking toward 2010's free agent class. It would be nice to be able to land one of the top stars. Pax talked about packaging players to get a star player. Who is out there of real value? T-Mac appears to be available. News out of Detroit is the Pistons are looking to get T-Mac for two of their starters and fillers if needed. I don't know if I would want T-Mac on this team. He has back problems which is very concerning. He does not seem to have great leadership skills. His talent is superior to anyone we have, but how much better would we be?

Right now the pickings appear to be slim for trade possibilities. We could go into the season as is. Yikes!!

Paxson knows he cant let that happen. 1 or even 2 guards will be dealt, hell Deng could even be dealt for the right piece, and yes i would trade Deng in a package for Anthony.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
If we don't make any deals, I hope everyone enjoys playing 13 minutes a game!
GreatScott82
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Jul 12 2008, 11:35 AM) *
If we don't make any deals, I hope everyone enjoys playing 13 minutes a game!

That will not happen. Paxson knows he needs to make deals.. this team can head in 2 different directions this offseason. The first direction is to make a deal for an all-star and continue to go for it this year and next year, or rebuild around guys like Deng, Rose, Thomas, Sefelosha and Noah. If you look at what this team has now, Paxson has many chips to work with:

Guards: Rose, Hinrich, Gordon, Sefelosha, Hughes, Curry

Forwards: Deng, Nocioni, Thomas, Gooden

Centers: Noah, Gray

I like the idea of Okafor for Gordon and Noah
eddog2
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Jul 10 2008, 04:17 PM) *
I agree. I have a few problems with Carmelo though. His behavior issues are rather disturbing but the man can score and he's probably thee 2nd best pure scorer in this league if you'd rank them into categories with Kobe being number 1. Denver definitely needs a point guard so Iverson can come off the ball in which he's best at (Even though he's unbelievably short). The obvious starters in this deal would be Kirk, and Deng. After that its pretty up in the air.

I agree he's a damn good scorer but I think a man named King James is a bit better. Plus there will be guys like Durant, possibly Beasley, who will eventually be better than him. Would I like to have Melo? Of course. But only if the deal is right and we don't trade away too much. I don't think they'd trade Melo for Kirk & Deng straight up but if they did I'd do it.

I'd also consider trading Noah, Kirk, & Deng for Melo, Camby. That's 2 veterans that Paxson is talking about that that makes us top contenders in the East overnight. But the only problem with that deal is Camby is getting up there in age so in 1-3 years we'd be looking for a new center which might be hard to find.

Camby
Gooden/Tyrus
Melo
Gordon/Thabo
Rose

I'd much rather try to go after Okafor though I doubt they'd want Kirk after they just drafted DJ.

If Paxson does make a deal I just hope it is for a star and not some garbage like Nick Collison. I'd settle for someone like Chris Wilcox or Nene (though his health is a serious concern) but that wouldn't be the ideal pickup and wouldn't take us to the next level.
eddog2
QUOTE (motownbull71 @ Jul 12 2008, 02:35 AM) *

If we got T-mac and didn't trade Rose or Deng I'd be the happiest man alive. I plan on buying a Rose jersey, I already have the Deng jersey, and I'd for sure get a T-mac jersey. I think I would wear all three to the first game. Not sure how that would work.

Anyway, everyone underrates T-mac. He's a top 10 player in the league and would be exaclty what the Bulls need. A superstar. Sure we'd still lack the scoring PF but we'd be a great team.

I think they'd consider dealing T-mac for Gordon & Kirk. They'd for sure want a scorer in return which is what Gordon is and I think they would like Kirk's defensive toughness. We might even be able to do the deal without Kirk. We could give up Gordon, Nocioni, Gooden, & a future pick.

Anyway, I think we could get T-mac for one of our top young guys (Gordon or Deng) and a couple other parts and some future picks.
So if Gordon is the main player to go you can pick 2 from from the rest of our guys not named Noah, Tyrus, Deng, or Rose and there you have it. (Nocioni, Hinrich, Gooden, Thabo, Hughes) If after making that deal we still have 3 of those players left, we'll still have a very nice bench.

What a team we'd have assuming we don't trade Deng in that deal. T-Mac's passing and driving ability alone make Tyrus & Noah better. Plus T-Mac can post up a bit and he can hit the outside shot. Couple him with Deng who is arguably the best athletic # 2 he's ever played with (since Yao is a stiff) and the rest of our starting 5 and we instantly become one of the best up and down teams in the league with 2 guys who can break their guy off the dribble and attack the basket. But we'd still likely need a better outside shooting starter.

Noah
Tyrus
Deng
T-Mac
Rose

Wouldn't it be amazing if we somehow traded for both T-Mac and Melo this off-season and kept Rose? I would spiff my pants.
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (motownbull71 @ Jul 12 2008, 12:35 AM) *

TMac is definitely a star player and the Bulls clearly have the assets to land him, but you have to ask yourself will getting TMac make the BUlls a title contender (now or in the future). The answer to that is a definite no and because of that I wouldn't make the deal. If the Bulls trade for a superstar, it needs to be a guy in there prime (or who is already good and projects to be even better), not a guy like Tmac who is on the very tailend of his prime and has injury issues.
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 12 2008, 12:07 PM) *
That will not happen. Paxson knows he needs to make deals.. this team can head in 2 different directions this offseason. The first direction is to make a deal for an all-star and continue to go for it this year and next year, or rebuild around guys like Deng, Rose, Thomas, Sefelosha and Noah. If you look at what this team has now, Paxson has many chips to work with:

Guards: Rose, Hinrich, Gordon, Sefelosha, Hughes, Curry

Forwards: Deng, Nocioni, Thomas, Gooden

Centers: Noah, Gray

I like the idea of Okafor for Gordon and Noah

I would be a big fan of that trade. I think the Bulls major weakness is the absolute lack of a difference maker down low. Drew Gooden is a nice, serviceable big but getting a guy like Okafor gives you a legit center you can build around. He's not Dwight Howard, but he's good enough, especially since having him and Gooden will enable a lot better spacing which will allow Rose and the other guards to penetrate better and also get much better jumpers (which will help Deng's mid-range game and Gordon or Hinrich from down town).

But Paxson definitely knows he has to at least move a few guys due to roster limitations (only so many minutes to go around).
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (eddog2 @ Jul 12 2008, 04:18 PM) *
I agree he's a damn good scorer but I think a man named King James is a bit better. Plus there will be guys like Durant, possibly Beasley, who will eventually be better than him. Would I like to have Melo? Of course. But only if the deal is right and we don't trade away too much. I don't think they'd trade Melo for Kirk & Deng straight up but if they did I'd do it.

I'd also consider trading Noah, Kirk, & Deng for Melo, Camby. That's 2 veterans that Paxson is talking about that that makes us top contenders in the East overnight. But the only problem with that deal is Camby is getting up there in age so in 1-3 years we'd be looking for a new center which might be hard to find.

Camby
Gooden/Tyrus
Melo
Gordon/Thabo
Rose

I'd much rather try to go after Okafor though I doubt they'd want Kirk after they just drafted DJ.

If Paxson does make a deal I just hope it is for a star and not some garbage like Nick Collison. I'd settle for someone like Chris Wilcox or Nene (though his health is a serious concern) but that wouldn't be the ideal pickup and wouldn't take us to the next level.

I would do almost any deal that didn't involve Derrick Rose for Camby/Melo. Melo is a borderline superstar who can be a difference maker, while Camby is a defensive player who gives the Bulls a contract that will be nice to have a couple years down the road.
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (eddog2 @ Jul 12 2008, 04:18 PM) *

Camby
Gooden/Tyrus
Melo
Gordon/Thabo
Rose

I would do almost any deal that didn't involve Derrick Rose for Camby/Melo. Melo is a borderline superstar who can be a difference maker, while Camby is a defensive player who gives the Bulls a contract that will be nice to have a couple years down the road.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.