Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: warriors suspend ellis 30 games
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > NBA Talk
DutheDoduhon21
The Golden State Warriors are punishing Monta Ellis not long after they rewarded him.

Ellis

The Warriors will have to wait to reap the benefits of a six-year, $66 million deal they signed Ellis to this offseason after suspending the guard for 30 games without pay for violating terms of his contract.

Ellis, who injured his ankle in a moped accident in August, initially told the Warriors the injury occurred playing pickup basketball in his hometown of Jackson, Miss. Multiple league sources told ESPN.com that Ellis had several cuts and abrasions on his leg -- atypical of an injury sustained on a basketball court -- in addition to the high ankle sprain and torn deltoid ligament he suffered on Aug. 21. The nature of the injury raised flags and led the Warriors to investigate the matter.

The Warriors counted their four preseason games in the suspension's length, which means Ellis won't return to the club until after Golden State's 26th regular-season game, against Indiana on Dec. 17.

"The cooperation that we received from Jeff Fried [Monta's representative] enabled us to be very diligent in collecting all of the facts surrounding the incident," Rowell said. "This 30-game suspension is a result of that. From this point forward, it is the complete focus of everyone involved to provide Monta with all the support he needs to have a successful rehabilitation, and to get him back on the court as an integral part of this team."

Ellis recently underwent surgery to repair a torn ligament, sidelining him for at least the first several weeks of the regular season.

Ellis, who averaged 20.2 points a game last season, was being highly touted as the able replacement for All-Star point guard Baron Davis, who left the Warriors this summer for a lucrative contract with the Los Angeles Clippers. Ellis is receiving one of the largest pay raises in NBA history. As the 40th player selected in the 2005 draft, Ellis was paid just $770,610 last season.

i know he lied about how it happened, and he shouldnt have been on a moped to start with, but 30 games? i think its a little harsh. thats a little over 1/3 of the season. i think they are hurting themselves more than they are hurting ellis.
Steve9347
They aren't hurting themselves at all with this situation. The injury that Monta endured while on the moped will have him out longer than that anyway. This is basically just a huge fine for violating his contract, which he deserves after nearly pulling a Jay Williams.

Regardless, he really f***ed his team over with this one.

As I said, he'd miss those games anyway so this was just an easy way to fine him.
^^ yup, stupid on monta's part
CryptViLL
werd that was me
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.