Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heat send Marion to Toronto for O'Neal
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Balta1701-B
The Toronto Raptors have agreed to send Jermaine O'Neal and Jamario Moon to the Miami Heat in exchange for Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks, league sources told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher.
Link.

I'm not sure if this makes the Heat more or less likely to deal for Amare. My first instinct was less likely, because the Heat had already made a deal, but I'm not so sure. O'Neal is owed a whopping $23 million in 2009-2010, which means he's not opting out of his deal this offseason, and if the Heat wanted to move him to Phoenix, the Suns would have to take on another bad contract for a person who's name is Pronounced O'Neal. But on the other hand, if the Suns really want to move Amare, that's a gigantic expiring contract for the 2010 year. Combine the expiring Shaq deal with that, and the Heat could be sitting on Beasley and a ton of cap space in 2010. And the Suns may have just had no desire to reacquire Marion, even if cutting him.
ZoomSlowik
I've got to think that it makes an Amare deal less likely for two reasons:

1) O'Neal's deal is considerable bigger than Amare's, a bit over $6 mil bigger to be exact. Add in Beasley's $4 mil deal and suddenly Phoenix has to add $10 mil in salary on top of Amare to make it work financially. That means Barbosa as well as a couple of other role players, which makes it a bit less interesting talent-wise.

2) O'Neal's deal also expires in 2010 instead of 2009. Sarver appears to be intent on cutting salary NOW if the team isn't going to contend. A $22 mil contract for next year doesn't make a whole lot of sense in that regard, even if they could have $40 mil in cap space for 2010.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Feb 13 2009, 11:00 AM) *
1) O'Neal's deal is considerable bigger than Amare's, a bit over $6 mil bigger to be exact. Add in Beasley's $4 mil deal and suddenly Phoenix has to add $10 mil in salary on top of Amare to make it work financially. That means Barbosa as well as a couple of other role players, which makes it a bit less interesting talent-wise.

If they added in Nash + Amare, that'd clear Nash's contract off of Phoenix's books as well.
Balta1701-B
Another reason why this trade might be more of a precursor...I don't know why the Heat would make this move. This move destroys the cap space the Heat were going to have at the end of this season, and they still are without a post scoring threat, when you consider O'neal's injury history and how completely his performance has dropped off. I was laying strong odds that they were going to find a way to land Boozer this offseason, regardless of Boozer's injury, because he was so much better of a fit for them alongside DWade.
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Feb 13 2009, 01:56 PM) *
If they added in Nash + Amare, that'd clear Nash's contract off of Phoenix's books as well.

I really don't think they're dealing Nash at this point, especially WITH Amare. Shaq maybe, but his deal is so colossal it causes other issues.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
I'm thinking Amare stays in Phoenix. KC Johnson ran into him on the elevator in Phoenix and asked him about where he thought he'd end up and he suggested Chicago. Amare laughed and said its probably about 60/40 that he stays in Phoenix.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.