Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Derrick Regressing?
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Chicago Bulls Franchise
Derrick has had some great games this season but most of them came early in the season when teams were just getting a feel for him. Now he seems like he's regressing a little bit. I don't like the way he's playing the game right now. He's been inconsistent with his scoring. Some nights he'll shoot a great % and some nights he'll just stop and pop a mid range J while leaning backwards that will cause his % to suffer. He's turning the ball over way to much and just doesn't look good at all to me right now. Is this his rookie wall? What is going on?
Balta1701-B
Looking at DRose's stats, I see no reason to conclude he's regressing on the offensive end at all.

His per game scoring has dropped from 18.9 in November to a low of 15.3 in Jan and is at 15.8 in Feb before the next 2 games. But that's almost entirely a function of his minutes being cut. His minutes/game have dropped every month so far, 39 in Nov, 37.3, 35.6, and in Feb. 33.3 (see, there's actual evidence to back up my b*tching about him being benched).

When you look at his per 48 min scoring (cause that's all ESPN gives me normailzed by minutes) he scored 23.3/48 in September and 22.8/48 in Feb. (with a little decrease in Dec and Jan).

But beyond just scoring, all his other stats have gradually ticked upwards during the year as well. Despite having his minutes cut, his assists/game are going up (6.0, 6.2, 6.8, 6.5), his rebounding is steady or improving (4, 3.1, 3.3, 4), his Fg %age has bounced around a bit but Feb. is his best month, his turnovers and his turnovers per 48 have decreased.

The only thing statistically that makes it look like DRose is hitting a rookie wall is that his minutes have been cut by 6 minutes a game. He's actually becoming somewhat more effective as the season goes on in almost every category. That could be a symptom of his legs tiring out, I'll grant. But then again, it's so fun to bench rookies in the 4th quarter I don't know how anyone resists it. Rookies learn best on the bench and everyone knows it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.