Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bulls @ Celtics 05/02/09
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
truthandbasketball
If there was ever one game where we needed to dig deep this is it. As a lifetime Bulls Fan I can honestly say that this has been the most exciting first round series I have ever witnessed to date. No disrespect to MJ or anything he did but this has really been something special. Make us proud fellas!!!! Do it for Red and Norm!!!!
IT IS NEVER OVER UNTIL YOU BELIEVE IT IS!!!! GO BULLS!!!!!

bullssmilie1.jpg bullssmilie1.jpg bullssmilie1.jpg bullssmilie1.jpg bullssmilie1.jpg bullssmilie1.jpg bullssmilie1.jpg
Bullerwinkle
QUOTE (truthandbasketball @ May 1 2009, 04:04 AM) *
If there was ever one game where we needed to dig deep this is it. As a lifetime Bulls Fan I can honestly say that this has been the most exciting first round series I have ever witnessed to date. No disrespect to MJ or anything he did but this has really been something special. Make us proud fellas!!!! Do it for Red and Norm!!!!
IT IS NEVER OVER UNTIL YOU BELIEVE IT IS!!!! GO BULLS!!!!!

bullssmilie1.jpg bullssmilie1.jpg bullssmilie1.jpg bullssmilie1.jpg bullssmilie1.jpg bullssmilie1.jpg bullssmilie1.jpg

I like the Bulls chances! No doubt you have youth vs experience but with 7 OT's in 6 games the Bulls youth gives them an excellent chance to take game 7:

1. Age: Pierce 32, Allen 33...after 7 OTs in 6 games these two are the backbone of the Celtics but they're tired. Pierce couldn't catch Noah on that tremendous stea...and he was trying HARD. Allen hit 51 pts but can he do it in game 7? Hmmm...you can't count on it but it's definitely a factor!

2. Ben Gordon shot 4- 14. He'll not do it in game 7...I look for Gordon to be HOT!!! Hinrich also shot 4- 11 AND THE BULLS STILL WON. Salmons pulled up the slack!

3. Bench play: The Bulls bench has outplayed the Celtics bench...Hinrich and Miller are much better than Scalabrine, Marbury, and T. Allen.

What to worry about is the Bulls...at Boston...in a game 7...with that crowd!!! The Bulls cannot let the Celtics jump out to a big lead and they must play deliberately and within themselves early Will Vinny have them MENTALLY READY! Will Rose...who seems to NOT wanna dribble drive much, go hard to the hole to get Celtic fouls, and will Salmons play like he did last night? The Bulls are definitely younger and stronger...They're gonna have to dig deep and be DETERMINED!

- The BIG two of the Celtics have been in a grueling series and I believe they're tired. The Bulls MUST make them work HARD for every shot.

- Tyrus Thomas recovered nicely after getting ahead of himself traveling a couple of times, he's gotta play within himself! He and Noah MUST be ready defensively!!!

I think the Bulls win by 3...97-94...AT THE GARDEN!!!!

GO BULLS!!!!
Sanitarium
yes that crowd will be rowdy

and if we can get some early fouls on davis and perkins we have a very good shot at winning in regulation
AtHomeBoy_2000
May 2, 7pm central, TNT, CSN, AM1000... mark your calendars.
RME JICO
It is all going to come down to Boston's shooting and the Bulls defense.

When Boston won, they shot .488, .481, and .490;

When Boston lost, they shot .421, .434, and .394.

In these close series, those few points are the difference between wins and losses.

I also like our chances because there is no way Allen goes off for 50+ again.
Cowch
I have this feeling that every time Hinrich touches the ball he is going to be booed. Many Boston fans think Rondo did nothing wrong and Hinrich was out of line.
Sanitarium
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/11700482

Rondo gets nothing.

Maybe kirk should've grown his hair out so he looked like steve nash
Chicago Bulls Franchise
I think we've figured out Rondo for the most part. We are better off when he's not in the paint. He only had 8 points. The one thing we haven't done that I'd love to see in game 7 is forcing him to turn the ball over. He had 0 turnovers and 19 assists, that's way too big. We need to force him into atleast 3 or 4 turnovers in the next game.
Sheptdc1
QUOTE (Sanitarium @ May 1 2009, 06:19 PM) *
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/11700482

Rondo gets nothing.

Maybe kirk should've grown his hair out so he looked like steve nash

What a nice message the NBA is sending there. I mean seriously you'd think the NBA would at least try to show the fans that what Tim Donahey says isn't true.
Just more BS from the NBA front office. dry.gif
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ May 1 2009, 03:38 PM) *
I think we've figured out Rondo for the most part. We are better off when he's not in the paint. He only had 8 points. The one thing we haven't done that I'd love to see in game 7 is forcing him to turn the ball over. He had 0 turnovers and 19 assists, that's way too big. We need to force him into atleast 3 or 4 turnovers in the next game.

We = the guy who's defending him, DR1. Let's give defensive credit where due.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
Well if we have one thing on our side it's Karma. It bit the ass of the league when they suspended Howard it will do it again with this decision. All it is is a money thing, with Rondo in the game it gets the viewers more interested. The league wanted the Philly Orlando series to go to 7 games because that = more money! Like I said, Karma is on our side and that's a great thing to have smile.gif
DutheDoduhon21
how is it that howard throws an elbow and gets supspend, and rondo does the same exact thing and gets nothing????
Sanitarium
For this series to be an all-time classic... we have to win.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
The last time a 7 upset a 2 seed in 7 games was New York against Miami in 1998
Sanitarium
this picture was on espn.com, i liked it

Balta1701-B
Kids...impress us.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
Were going to win this guys. BELIEVE!
Sanitarium
JESUS CHRIST TNT START THE GAME ALREADY
Sanitarium
So i think we came to play tonight
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (Sanitarium @ May 2 2009, 06:22 PM) *
So i think we came to play tonight

Yep looks like we came to play for 12 minutes of basketball.. Too bad they play 48.
mmmmmbeeer
It really looks like the Bulls have no game plan out there whatsoever....listening to Doug Collins commentate about what the Bulls need to be doing makes it even worse (cause he's right....and he should have been hired as head coach).
Sanitarium
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ May 2 2009, 08:28 PM) *
Yep looks like we came to play for 12 minutes of basketball.. Too bad they play 48.

Tyrus came to play for 48, Miller came to play for 0.

Why the hell has he been in the game for so long.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
Well.. Season over.
Sanitarium
Vinny, don't let the door hit you on the way out. I've seen pick up games with better offense than we had tonight
Chicago Bulls Franchise
The Bulls could have easily taken this game 7 tonight. The Celtics did everything and more to give us the game. They didn't hit free throws and we had the lead early but we pissed it away with poor offense. We can't stop anybody to save our lives and it came down to our poor defense.
Balta1701-B
God damn this has been such a ridiculously frustrating game to watch in the 2nd half.

How many times can this exact same thing happen:

Bulls have the small lineup in. Miller is the only big guy in, along with basically 4 undersized players.

They give the ball to someone, drive towards the lane. Miller moves out to double, leaving either Perkins or Davis guarded down low by Rose or Gordon or Hinrich, and we're shocked, shocked, shocked that a point guard can't stop a 250-300 pound, 7 foot center.

Over and over and over.

For the entire 2nd half other than about 6 minutes we went with the small lineup. We benched Thomas for the entire 2nd half practically until both other C's fouled out, and he was putting up some solid efforts on defense on those big guys until we benched him.

And then how many freaking times can we give the ball to Gordon and then have 4 guys standing around watching, unmoving, on the other side of the court, where Gordon just has to shoot over someone? Salmons too, but they did it all the damn time with Gordon.

This team is so damn poorly coached. Miller don't leave the big guy if you're the only one, Derrick Rose can not guard Glenn Davis!!!!
mmmmmbeeer
Helluva series. What I learned

VDN is not a head coach...too few adjustments, poor time management, questionable substitutions, and horrible plays run directly out of TO's.

BG needs to be re-signed. He and Noah showed the most passion and heart in this series.

Joakim was a good pick...his leadership shone brightly in this series

Ray Allen is money while KG is a freaking beach

I really didn't expect a series victory so I'm surprisingly satisfied with the fight that we gave them....truly a pleasurable series to watch. We're a young team with a lot of money freed up soon, I like our future. This series really helped to mature a young squad.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
Well if one thing we got from this series it's that if Joakim gets in the weight room he's a poor man's Dennis Rodman. He's the heart and soul of our team. We have to pay Ben Gordon and figure out how to get Amare Stoudemire on our team.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ May 2 2009, 07:32 PM) *
Well if one thing we got from this series it's that if Joakim gets in the weight room he's a poor man's Dennis Rodman. He's the heart and soul of our team. We have to pay Ben Gordon and figure out how to get Amare Stoudemire on our team.

Why do we need Amare? We'd just bench him for 20 minutes straight every 2nd half as punishment for being too tall.

I'd rather have Bosh be the one we're benching for the 2nd half anyway.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ May 2 2009, 09:35 PM) *
Why do we need Amare? We'd just bench him for 20 minutes straight every 2nd half as punishment for being too tall.

I'd rather have Bosh be the one we're benching for the 2nd half anyway.

Either or works for me. I'd probably lean towards Amare because Bosh takes too many jumpers for me, though his defense is better. We need a pure post player and Amar'e is an automatic 24-26 ppg guy on this team where most of it comes from dunks and PiP.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ May 2 2009, 07:41 PM) *
Either or works for me. I'd probably lean towards Amare because Bosh takes too many jumpers for me, though his defense is better. We need a pure post player and Amar'e is an automatic 24-26 ppg guy on this team where most of it comes from dunks and PiP.

Amare is an automatic 24-26 ppg...when he's actually playing hard, when he has steve nash setting him up, and when he's playing in the Suns tempo system. And when he's healthy. Which you have to start wondering...
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ May 2 2009, 09:47 PM) *
Amare is an automatic 24-26 ppg...when he's actually playing hard, when he has steve nash setting him up, and when he's playing in the Suns tempo system. And when he's healthy. Which you have to start wondering...

If he was in our pick and roll system he would thrive because we like to spread the floor for DRose. It would be an alley oop fest with him and Rose. Basically we would be the Orlando Magic because we have 3 point shooters and one dominant big man. The difference though is Dwight Howard is a rebounding machine and Amare isn't though he does things Dwight doesn't and we run a faster paced game compared to Orlando. Were almost there, just need that big man. Priority #1 should be resign Ben Gordon and #2 look to trade Kirk, and Deng or make a deal for those two All Star PF's.
Sanitarium
I think tyrus could get a fair share of alleyoops if he was actually on the floor for more than the first quarter
Balta1701-B
Kelly Dwyer spends like an hour of writing just ripping VDN.
I know that it's a coach's job to create an atmosphere suitable for winning. It's a coach's job to prepare his or her team. It's a coach's job to do what's necessary, with the parts he has, to come out victorious in competition.

Vinny Del Negro did none of these things in Game 7, or for most of the series, for that matter. All series long the Chicago Bulls were getting by on talent and talent alone, playing as essentially the sum of their parts and no more, utilizing one-on-one ball, and only coming through with a passable rotation because John Paxson traded all the players (like Andres Nocioni) that Del Negro used to hurt his team with, or traded for players that stopped him from giving minutes to guys (like Aaron Gray) who were hurting the team.

Chicago could not put itself in a position to win in the second half of this game because Vinny Del Negro ran with a four guard lineup that could not set a screen to save its life on offense (because, newsflash, 6-2 guards aren't really great at setting screens on 6-7 forwards), and was consistently dominated in the paint on defense. If Boston hits its usual rate of free throws in the third quarter, or if the team makes a few more of those gimmies in the paint, this could have been a 25-point loss.

Why? Because Vinny Del Negro could not think on his feet, adapt, and put his team in a position to win.

I don't know what he has against power forwards, but tossing out 20-year old rookie Derrick Rose as a weak-side helper is just the height of ... well, you know what I'm getting at. It's hard enough to try and get Rose to understand NBA-level defense on opposing point guards, how's he going to know how to act like Udonis Haslem in the fourth quarter of a Game 7? And yet, that's what Del Negro was asking of him.

Did you see how many hats, all in one possession, Joakim Noah had to wear? He had to show on a screen and roll, contest a shot in the paint, try to block out his man, try to block out the opposing power forward, and do all this within a five-second turn. For a guy in his second year in the NBA. I wouldn't ask Dwight Howard to do that. Why? Because the Magic would lose, and Dwight Howard would be angry with me.

But that's Vinny Del Negro. He's turned what was a top-flight defensive team under Scott Skiles that covered all angles, moved the ball offensively, and had a drive-and-kick offense into predictable, one-on-one mess that was bailed out in the second half of the season by Chicago's solid offensive talent, and a post-trade deadline schedule that was rife with crummy and injured teams.

One through eight, you can't tell me that Boston is more talented than Chicago. And you can't tell me that it was Boston's "championship pedigree" or "veteran savvy" that was tossing in baskets in the paint while Derrick Rose or Ben Gordon helplessly tried to cover the role that a power forward should be covering. I picked Boston in seven to begin this series, but that was only because I expected Chicago -- the more talented basketball team -- to suffer because of the whims of their coaching staff. I'm being completely honest. I had no faith in that crew. And I turned out to be right. And I hate it.

The Bulls turned the ball over way too much in the second quarter. Kirk Hinrich came out and laid an egg. Brad Miller made more bad decisions. Vinny Del Negro didn't cuase these things. Yet, those are mitigating factors you can overcome.

But not with a lineup that features four guards, having to ignore every defensive instinct (now they have to guard the front of the rim?) they've been taught, as guards, since grade school. Not with Noah or Brad Miller (by themselves, not together) out there having to do the work of two positions.

Not with Tyrus Thomas on the bench, pulling in more rebounds (five) than his replacement "power forward" (John Salmons) did in 42 minutes. I don't care if Thomas makes mistakes. I don't care if he takes possessions off. I don't care if the Bulls should have drafted Brandon Roy or LaMarcus Aldridge. Thomas' flighty, typical play is still better than an injured shooting guard having to play power forward in a Game 7 on the road.

The stats for Thomas are modest, though pretty solid per-minute. Four points, five rebounds, two blocks, two steals, two assists, one turnover in about 17 minutes. That's not the point. The point is that you need a power forward out there to cover the rim. To rebound. To play his role. You don't ask Salmons or Rose or Gordon or Hinrich to try that out. Not in any playoff game, much less this one.
More ripping happens at link.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
Our offense gets in trouble when we hold the ball. It's an execution problem. We are far more effective when our guards get past the first line of defense and can get into the paint. The iso problems happen when Salmons and Gordon can't take there man off the dribble. I think coming into next year his biggest improvement should be to try and strengthen our defense! We are awful defensively. We often times loose a 3 point shooter wide open and that was the death of us in game 7. They shot almost 60% from three and Eddie House and Scal drained 6 threes total, that can't happen. The team we have now is definitely good enough to be a top 4 or 5 seed in the East next year but unless we improve our defense, we won't be able to touch seeds 1-3.
Sanitarium
Having deng back at least gives us a 3 who can defend well... Salmons is great driving to the paint and shooting in rhythm but cannot dribble and create to save his life
rockren
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ May 3 2009, 05:33 PM) *
Our offense gets in trouble when we hold the ball. It's an execution problem. We are far more effective when our guards get past the first line of defense and can get into the paint. The iso problems happen when Salmons and Gordon can't take there man off the dribble. I think coming into next year his biggest improvement should be to try and strengthen our defense! We are awful defensively. We often times loose a 3 point shooter wide open and that was the death of us in game 7. They shot almost 60% from three and Eddie House and Scal drained 6 threes total, that can't happen. The team we have now is definitely good enough to be a top 4 or 5 seed in the East next year but unless we improve our defense, we won't be able to touch seeds 1-3.

The bottom line (as its been for years) the Bulls need someone they can throw the ball into. Someone that score with their back to the basket. It can help control the pace of the game and give us a chance to play inside out every once in a while. When all you do is shoot jumpers all game...you'll go through long scoring droughts (very much like the 20-2 run Boston had us in the 2nd Quarter of Game 7).

Whether they can trade for Bosh this off-season or make a run at him in FA for 2010...they need to plan as such.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.