Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newsday: Tyrus wants out of Chicago, Bulls starting to shop him
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Balta1701-B
Totally unexpected here right?
I've heard some chatter about Tyrus Thomas wanting out of Chicago and more and more we're now seeing reports that the Bulls are already putting out feelers to see what they can get for him.

tyrus.bmpThomas has one year left at $4.7M before he becomes a restricted free agent. He has the athleticism and shot-blocking abilities the Knicks need and he showed this season (and in the playoffs) that he can hit the mid-range jumper.

The question about Thomas is his attitude. The Knicks would prefer to avoid sour-puss types with a misguided sense of entitlement. But they do like guys who can get up and down the floor, block shots and rebound and shoot.

The issue here is the Knicks would likely have to take on a contract to get the Bulls to want to make a deal. Kirk Hinrich, perhaps? With three years and $26.5M left on his contract, I think I'd have to pass on that one, but perhaps something else could be worked out. It's funny, but maybe the Knicks could also take Tim Thomas and his expiring contract back (again) to make the money work for an expiring contract such as Al Harrington or Quentin Richardson.
Wanne
I know the Suns really like him. Tyrus, Deng (and whatever filler to make the salaries match) for Amare?
Balta1701-B
I really, really hope Toronto likes him.
ZoomSlowik
The Knicks have very few players I'd even remotely want and numerous bad contracts. Some of them are expiring, but getting value for Tyrus is more important. The only guys I'd even consider are Chandler and Lee, though the latter has made rumblings about a max deal when his contract is up after next season. rolleyes.gif Chandler isn't a world-beater either, but he's young, talented and cheap.

Obviously try to get Bosh or Amare as the previous two posters said.
Sanitarium
QUOTE (Wanne @ May 22 2009, 08:14 PM) *
I know the Suns really like him. Tyrus, Deng (and whatever filler to make the salaries match) for Amare?

i don't know if we HAVE any filler if we did that.

Tyrus/Miller for Amare the contracts would be pretty close i think... doubt we give up brad though. I think with Lu and TT we are still a few mill short
DutheDoduhon21
i dont think tyrus wants out of chicago, but the bulls may be shopping him just to see what they could get.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (DutheDoduhon21 @ May 22 2009, 07:32 PM) *
i dont think tyrus wants out of chicago, but the bulls may be shopping him just to see what they could get.

After watching the team bench him over and over, not just for the last playoff series but for the past 3 years...I couldn't blame him at all if the playoffs were the last straw.

Put yourself in his shoes. Imagine you think you're a 20-10 player right now (whether he is or not, doesn't every NBA player?), and you're 1 year away from being a restricted FA, and the team you play for watches you score key points in game 1 of the playoffs in OT, and then benches you ruthlessly in favor of a small lineup that works in 1 game out of the next 6...wouldn't you want out of there? If nothing else, wouldn't you want a chance to actually get enough minutes to justify someone offering you a solid contract?

Being consigned to the bench next season will cost him a ton of money. If he could wind up in Toronto, Sacramento, hell Phoenix...anywhere that he can actually get 35-40 minutes, it gives him a shot at a major extension in 1-2 years.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
So where is the evidence that shows Tyrus wants out of Chicago?

Speculation
rockren
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ May 22 2009, 07:42 PM) *

I'm sure we'll find out sooner rather than later.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ May 22 2009, 08:52 PM) *
So where is the evidence that shows Tyrus wants out of Chicago?

Speculation

It's a message board. I'm allowed to make suppositions based on what my eyes see and things I read in various news sources.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ May 23 2009, 11:53 AM) *
It's a message board. I'm allowed to make suppositions based on what my eyes see and things I read in various news sources.

I'm questioning the news source not you.
GreatScott82
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ May 22 2009, 08:42 PM) *

^^^^^^

Bosh would be awesome.

Amare is probably the most realistic. If Gar Forman can could find a way to have Phoenix takes Dengs contract our team would be more than set for 2010.

It would also give Forman the flexibility to re-sign Gordon. (Forman has said Re-signing Gordon is his #1 priority.)

Noah C
Soudemire PF
Salmons SF
Gordon SG
Rose PG

Bench: Miller, Hinrich, Draft pick, Draft pick, Filler from Phoenix trade
Sanitarium
We really need to move Deng.

Kirk showed this year that a combo of him and Rose is just as effective as any other guard combo
SoxFan1
fish Tyrus Thomas. If the Knicks want a guy who can get up and down the floor, they better look elsewhere. Tyrus CAN do it, but he just doesn't most of the time.
rockren
QUOTE (Sanitarium @ May 23 2009, 05:09 PM) *
We really need to move Deng.

That's impossible right now.
rockren
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ May 23 2009, 10:53 AM) *

I wouldn't be surprised if Tyrus wanted out.

His mannerisms towards his teammates/coaches after he takes an 18 footer are usually irritated. Tyrus views himself as a franchise player IMO.

I'm a huge fan of Tyrus, but he's in no way/shape/form a franchise guy. I see Tyrus as a smaller, more athletic version of Tyson Chandler and I see him being All Defensive NBA at some point not far down the road.

However, I believe Tyrus views himself more than that...which is a problem. Tyrus could find himself out of town like Tyson did because he just hasn't "gotten it."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.