Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tyrus Thomas suspended against Heat
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Balta1701-B
TT suspended against the Heat for conduct detrimental to the team.

(Deep down, I don't blame him one bit).
SoxFan1
(Deep down, I think he can piss off.)
Bullerwinkle
I think it may be about more playing time. I like Tyrus Thomas...he has GREAT potential. But he's has to grow up and "put in the work". Nobody's gonna give you anything...

YOU GOTTA EARN IT TYRUS!!! bringit.gif
Chicago Bulls Franchise
If I were Tyrus I'd be pissed to. I'm sure he had words with Vinny last night about his playing time in which he SHOULD have been in in the 4th quarter because Josh Smith was destroying us on the boards. It's a shame for Tyrus. He has a good year last year where things started to look promising, then he gets injured at the beginning of the season and loses his starting spot to Taj Gibson. He is going to be one of those players that the Bulls trade and he ends up making a career out of himself. He still has potential, just not in Chicago..
DutheDoduhon21
08:59 AM ET 02.07 | Tyrus Thomas didn't attend the Bulls' 95-91 victory over the Heat on Saturday night at the United Center after drawing a one-game suspension and undisclosed fine for conduct detrimental to the team. Team sources said Thomas directed a profanity-laced tirade at coach Vinny Del Negro in his office with players and coaches within earshot after Friday night's loss in Atlanta, the third straight game Thomas had played less than 16 minutes. One witness said it made Joakim Noah's vocal assault on then-assistant coach Ron Adams in 2008 look like "nothing.

Chicago Bulls Franchise
Not surprising. Like Scott Skiles, now VDN has kept Tyrus in his dog house all season. I don't think it's one where he will ever get out of either. For some reason Vinny has given up on him playing meaningful minutes anymore. Sure he'll come in for his 5-7 minute stretches in the 2nd quarter and 3rd quarter but when it gets to the 4th quarter, Vinny just does not believe in Tyrus Thomas. Like I said, Tyrus needs to go somewhere where he can be a vital part of a championship team off the bench out West. If you surround Tyrus with a team like Denver, he could inject some energy off the bench for a contending team. Utah would be another good place for him to go to play with Deron Williams although I don't know if Tyrus would be smart enough to play in Jerry Sloan's strict system. He may put up bigger numbers on a team like New York or Golden State but I think he becomes a better value player on a championship contending team.
SoxFan1
I'm not going to waste my time on this selfish piece of crap anymore, so let me copy a post I made on SoxTalk:

Oh my God. What don't you understand? You aren't GIVEN minutes because you can jump 45 inches of the ground. It doesn't work that way. He's lazy, he has no actual basketball skills, and he's selfish. I can't begin to count the number of times I've seen him get pissed off on the court because he didn't get the ball 20 feet from the basket, then jog his way around the court for the rest of the game. He's a terrible player, and he's selfish, and he doesn't work hard.

Trust me, I'd be quick to defend him if he loved the game and worked his ass off to get those minutes. But he doesn't. And if you're going to keep blaming it on the coaches, then you (and everyone else who backs Tyrus up) are blind, because we've seen it on THIS VERY TEAM that if you work hard, you play.

See: Noah, Joakim. It's called passion, it's called work ethic. And most of all, its called integrity.

GMAFB. Get Thomas out of my f***ing face.
Balta1701-B
This is a fascinating article to me, not because of anything in it, but because KC wrote it, and it seems like he agrees with me.
The Bulls will say the steady play of rookie Taj Gibson is why Thomas is no longer the starting power forward after missing seven weeks with a fractured radius in his left forearm. And Gibson unquestionably has been a steal of the draft, a fundamentally sound, reliable player.

But part of successful coaching is managing personalities. When Thomas came off the bench to average 16 points, 10.3 rebounds and two blocks in 30.3 minutes in his first three games back from injury in late December, the time to start him and allow him to play through some mistakes arrived.

Instead, Thomas came off the bench to play just 15 foul-plagued minutes on Jan. 2 against Orlando. He has played more than 30 minutes just once since — on Jan. 20 at the Clippers — and tallied 18 points, six rebounds and three blocks while doing so.

Gibson may be a rookie, but he's 14 months older than Thomas. Rightly or wrongly, he has proved he's mentally strong enough to handle starting or coming off the bench. Just as rightly or wrongly, Thomas has proved you lose him if you don't start him.

Making the early-January decision to continue starting Gibson even more confounding is the fact his numbers as a reserve are better than when he starts and Thomas' statistics in his three starts are better than when he comes off the bench.

Don't misunderstand: Even before Thomas' latest cross-the-line actions, the window to start him had long since closed. You can't reward failing to execute the game plan and indifferent play by handing a starting job back to a player. And Thomas was guilty of both at times in a very forgettable January.

Then again, it's hard to play effectively when you're looking over your shoulder, knowing your next mistake will be your last for the night. And there simply was no excuse for not playing Thomas more against Philadelphia on Wednesday, when Elton Brand abused Gibson and Thomas tallied 12 points and six rebounds in just 15 minutes — but didn't play the final 15 minutes.

None of this is to excuse Thomas' profanity-laced postgame outburst at Del Negro, the seeds of which started during Friday's game and which several witnesses termed inexcusable.

Thomas' wild first quarter, which included two goaltending infractions, a turnover on a crosscourt pass and a running, left-handed hook, led to Del Negro benching him for the second quarter and words were exchanged on the bench.

ZoomSlowik
I really don't feel sorry for Tyrus at all, the only thing he's "developed" over the last four years is his ability to make about 35% of his jumpers. If you can't finish at the rim, can't post-up, can't hit jumpers, are regularly out of position on defense and play hard maybe one game out of three, how do you expect to get any playing time?

You improve by actually trying to develop your skills, learning when and how you're screwing up and playing hard, not by trying to figure things out in the middle of the game. Noah has had basically the same number of minutes the last two years as Thomas, the difference is he's actually made some strides instead of doing the exact same things he did 3 years ago.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Feb 8 2010, 11:30 AM) *
You improve by actually trying to develop your skills, learning when and how you're screwing up and playing hard, not by trying to figure things out in the middle of the game. Noah has had basically the same number of minutes the last two years as Thomas, the difference is he's actually made some strides instead of doing the exact same things he did 3 years ago.

Noah is also 1.5 years older than Thomas and has probably played 2x as much basketball in his lifetime as Tyrus, when you include high school a nd College
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Feb 8 2010, 11:03 AM) *
Noah is also 1.5 years older than Thomas and has probably played 2x as much basketball in his lifetime as Tyrus, when you include high school a nd College

Who gives a flying fish? They were at basically the same point in their pro careers two years ago.

It's also wildly inaccurate given that Noah had only one extra year in college and Tyrus has an extra season in the pros, and who really cares how much playing time they got against 6'5" post players that didn't have a quarter of their ability in high school.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
KC is actually right, Tyrus should be starting in place of Taj (Or he should have been.) Taj is just a reliable guy except he isn't starting material. He's a very good role player off the bench and his stats show that. Tyrus may not be the great one on one defensive player Taj is but he will change the game with his defense by blocking shots and getting in the passing lanes.

It's Tyrus' offense that boggles me. He still attempts these awkward shots, for example the Atlanta game when he threw an off balance left handed hook shot. He is unable to finish around the rim unless he dunks it and he has absolutely no post up game whatsoever, his jumper has regressed from last year which can be seen as a confidence issue. I just think Tyrus is a player that has to play through his mistakes, start him, live with the good and the bad because he doesn't do us a lot of good coming in when he knows he's going to only play about 10 minutes. That's when he starts forcing shots and making bad decisions.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Feb 8 2010, 02:06 PM) *
I just think Tyrus is a player that has to play through his mistakes, start him, live with the good and the bad because he doesn't do us a lot of good coming in when he knows he's going to only play about 10 minutes. That's when he starts forcing shots and making bad decisions.

Like it or not, he's never going to get the chance to do that here, and thus we ought to have traded him a while ago. Because this type of blow-up, the type that makes the Bulls suddenly have no choice but to dump him...was inevitable, the way they've used him.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Feb 8 2010, 02:06 PM) *
I just think Tyrus is a player that has to play through his mistakes, start him, live with the good and the bad because he doesn't do us a lot of good coming in when he knows he's going to only play about 10 minutes. That's when he starts forcing shots and making bad decisions.

That's how I know you're blind when it comes to Tyrus Thomas. No more needs to be said.

First and foremost, you never know coming into a game how many minutes you're gonna get. You may only play 8 minutes because of foul trouble in a game where you could have played 35. Coaches don't go into the game thinking about minute distribution. And even if they did, playing stupid because you aren't getting minutes isn't a way to show your coaches you deserve more. It's a mentality and personality issue when it comes to Thomas. The sooner he gets out of Chicago the better. If I never heard his name again, it'd be too soon.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 8 2010, 04:10 PM) *
That's how I know you're blind when it comes to Tyrus Thomas. No more needs to be said.

First and foremost, you never know coming into a game how many minutes you're gonna get. You may only play 8 minutes because of foul trouble in a game where you could have played 35. Coaches don't go into the game thinking about minute distribution. And even if they did, playing stupid because you aren't getting minutes isn't a way to show your coaches you deserve more. It's a mentality and personality issue when it comes to Thomas. The sooner he gets out of Chicago the better. If I never heard his name again, it'd be too soon.

Tyrus Thomas
Balta1701-B
Man, what a mistake it was to not trade him a year ago, or at the least, last summer (as I was calling for openly), once it was plainly obvious that the Bulls didn't want him. Even for $.75 on the dollar. Maybe get a decent backup or another mid first round pick or something like that. Now we'll be lucky if we don't have to take on $ for next offseason if we want to move him.
Whether he's dealt before the Feb. 18 trade deadline or let go this summer when he becomes a restricted free agent, Thomas' days with the Bulls are numbered. Too many in the organization have grown weary of his mood swings and petulance to bring him back.

The issue for Thomas the rest of the season -- and this is an amazing statement to make about the fourth pick in the 2006 draft -- is whether he can show enough to make another team interested.

General managers usually are willing to take flyers on players with as much physical ability as Thomas, but his reputation is so bad that no one might want to deal with him.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Feb 9 2010, 01:05 AM) *
Tyrus Thomas

Great post.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 9 2010, 09:49 AM) *
Great post.

Thanks brah wink.gif
Chicago Bulls Franchise
Well we had the chance to trade Tyrus last year around this time. I believe he was playing the best basketball of his career at this time last year, and that lasted for about a month.. I can't imagine how low his trade value is right now..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.