Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vinny Del Negro fired
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Sanitarium

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/bask...writethru.0818/

Joakim Noah, who enjoyed a breakout season, said Del Negro "did a lot for me as a player.''

"He lets you be who you are, he expects you to go out there and work hard and compete every night and that's what we tried to do,'' Hinrich said.

Forward Taj Gibson praised Del Negro, saying, "Any other coach, I don't know if they could have weathered that storm.''

"He let me have my freedom, but still coached me and let me make mistakes,'' he said after the loss to Cleveland. "I watched film with him almost every day. He taught me a lot on defense and offense and what I'm supposed to do. The decision isn't really up to me. It's up to the front office, so I'm not going to worry about it and just deal with it.''

Balta1701-B
"Any other coach, I don't know if they could have weathered that storm.''
Then VDN shouldn't have been such a part of creating it.
DutheDoduhon21
lebron votes for vinny as well.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
Wouldn't care at all if Vinny was back as our coach next year. In fact I'd probably rather have it that way. It's always better to have continuity as opposed to change. The Bulls have made the playoffs the last two years under Vinny and I wouldn't mind seeing how he does with new talent. With a Dwyane Wade added to the roster or even a Chris Bosh, Vinny's job becomes a little easier. The problem is to get rid of John Paxson. You cannot have a member of your front office act so disrespectful and unprofessional like he did in their altercation and get away with it. It's time for the Bulls to send Paxson home.
Balta1701-B
I seriously doubt any of the big 3 sign here if VDN is still in place.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
The NBA coaching pool is not even that good, and imo none of the coaches out there are better candidates than Vinny. The fact of the matter is, there are no Greg Popavich's, Phil Jackson's, Pat Riley's, or Jerry Sloan's out there. Those guys are hard to come by. I honestly can't see anyone coming in here that's such a humongous upgrade over Del Negro. Coaching is always easier with more talent. I just don't want a new coach here that's not going to be a big upgrade. The players seem to like Vinny, even though the front office does not, I think he should be given atleast another year to take the Bulls past the first round.
Balta1701-B
Ok, I think it's clear this is going to last at least a little while, so I made the thread title more general here and here's some new info to keep us rolling.
As Bulls management continues muddling through end-of-season evaluations with Vinny Del Negro’s status still unresolved, sources close to the process told CBSSports.com that one aspect of the decision on the coach’s future has been decided: Del Negro won’t be needing a lawyer, because the team has decided not to dismiss him for cause over a late-season confrontation with executive John Paxson.

The matter has gone all the way to the top of the organizational chain of command, with Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf weighing in with assurances to Del Negro that he will not be fired for cause, one of the people involved said. Reinsdorf is said to be pleased with the way Del Negro has handled the fallout from the incident, in which Paxson confronted the coach after he allegedly ignored a minute-limit on injured center Joakim Noah.

A second source confirmed that the confrontation between Del Negro and Paxson would have no bearing on a potential coaching change, which would instead hinge on the idea that the team would have a better chance of improving with a new coach.

Exit interviews and internal evaluations are expected to reach a climax next week, when Reinsdorf will weigh in on all aspects of the offseason plan. Del Negro, who has presided over two first-round exits in two years on the job, is said to be quietly pushing for a quick and graceful exit if the team decides to make a change.

People close to the process are wondering how the fallout will affect the combatant who will be staying with the team – Paxson. Sources say the confrontation between Del Negro and Paxson did not mark the first time things got heated between them, a pattern that ultimately could begin to erode support for Paxson within the organization. Bulls officials are not publicly speculating on how Paxson’s status will be affected, saying only that the matter has been “handled internally.”

If and when the Bulls make a change, it is anticipated that Dallas assistant Dwane Casey would receive serious consideration. Casey was a finalist for the job when Del Negro was hired and has more of a defensive background – an area that Del Negro didn’t develop as thoroughly as management had hoped when he was hired.
Sanitarium
i'm not familiar with dwayne casey. anyone know anything about him?
scs787
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Apr 30 2010, 10:13 AM) *
The NBA coaching pool is not even that good, and imo none of the coaches out there are better candidates than Vinny. The fact of the matter is, there are no Greg Popavich's, Phil Jackson's, Pat Riley's, or Jerry Sloan's out there. Those guys are hard to come by. I honestly can't see anyone coming in here that's such a humongous upgrade over Del Negro. Coaching is always easier with more talent. I just don't want a new coach here that's not going to be a big upgrade. The players seem to like Vinny, even though the front office does not, I think he should be given atleast another year to take the Bulls past the first round.

I read the other day on an espn ticker that jeanie bus (i think thats her name) said phil will coach next year whether it be here or somewhere else. How awesome would it be to have Phil come back and sign Lebron. I think it makes us an instant title threat and itd make for a great story. Here Lebron is changing his number in honor of MJ (he did say hes doin it because of mj right) going to chicago to play for MJs old coach that lead him to all those titles.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (scs787 @ May 1 2010, 09:06 PM) *
I read the other day on an espn ticker that jeanie bus (i think thats her name) said phil will coach next year whether it be here or somewhere else. How awesome would it be to have Phil come back and sign Lebron. I think it makes us an instant title threat and itd make for a great story. Here Lebron is changing his number in honor of MJ (he did say hes doin it because of mj right) going to chicago to play for MJs old coach that lead him to all those titles.

Yeah I saw that too. My only question is, how would Rose do in the triangle? Imo I think it limits his freedom on the court which is what makes him such a dynamic player.
rockren
QUOTE (Sanitarium @ Apr 30 2010, 06:22 PM) *
i'm not familiar with dwayne casey. anyone know anything about him?

He's been an assistant under some terrific coaches in George Karl and Nate McMillan...currently an assistant under Rick Carlisle in Dallas. http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/news/wolve...ies_070123.html

He was the HC at Minnesota for a year and a half, which was an absolute sinking ship when he walked in... http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MIN/2006.html ...as you can see he had the pleasure of coaching malcontents such as Eddie Griffin, Rickie Davis and Kevin Garnett....he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Casey is a great candidate and will get a shot somewhere.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (rockren @ May 3 2010, 12:39 AM) *
He was the HC at Minnesota for a year and a half, which was an absolute sinking ship when he walked in... http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MIN/2006.html ...as you can see he had the pleasure of coaching malcontents such as Eddie Griffin, Rickie Davis and Kevin Garnett....he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

What you're saying is...he's the kind of guy who's adapted to this kind of mess.
Balta1701-B
Tribune
Vinny Del Negro met with Bulls Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf on Sunday, but the embattled coach's 11th-hour argument to keep his job won't change what the Tribune has reported since December 2009:

Del Negro is expected to be dismissed with one year and roughly $2 million remaining on his guaranteed three-year contract. Barring a snag, the Bulls will make this news official Tuesday.

At that point, executive vice president of basketball operations John Paxson and general manager Gar Forman will embark on a search focusing on candidates with previous NBA head-coaching experience.

Doug Collins, Lawrence Frank, Kevin McHale, Maurice Cheeks, Byron Scott and Dwane Casey are some of the many names who fit that description and could receive interviews. Management is waiting to contact prospective candidates until Del Negro officially is dismissed.
Sanitarium
Cheeks might be an interesting choice.. He did some pretty good things with Russell Westbrook this year
Chicago Bulls Franchise
Such B.S! I hate the management on this team. How John Paxson still has a job is downright comical. We just let go of the best coach out there in the pool. Nobody else out there is attractable at all and VDN knows the team better than anyone else, + he had good relationships with the players. I hope Joakim and Rose get pissed and say something to management when he's fired because I would if I were them.

I'm sure deep down Vinny really wanted to get out of there after the disrespectful way he's been treated since he's been here. One thing is for sure, he will be back. I just don't understand the firing at all. He, just like his players will get better. It takes time for someone to be a good coach after not having much experience, just ask Doc Rivers..
rockren
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ May 3 2010, 09:13 AM) *
What you're saying is...he's the kind of guy who's adapted to this kind of mess.

He would actually have coach-able players here.
rockren
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bulls/post...nsider-calipari

This article is pure speculation, but it deserves to be looked at. If the Bulls had ANY shot at Calipari...they'd better make a run at him. Considering he is friends with Bron and his agent...that enough should drive the Bull to try and lure him to Chicago aside from all of the other obvious reasons.
rockren
QUOTE (Sanitarium @ May 3 2010, 10:08 AM) *
Cheeks might be an interesting choice.. He did some pretty good things with Russell Westbrook this year

Very much agree.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (rockren @ May 3 2010, 12:17 PM) *

This article is pure speculation, but it deserves to be looked at. If the Bulls had ANY shot at Calipari...they'd better make a run at him. Considering he is friends with Bron and his agent...that enough should drive the Bull to try and lure him to Chicago aside from all of the other obvious reasons.

Calipari's in the running?

If he's hired, that means one thing to me. UK can look at having recruiting sanctions slapped on it soon.
Sanitarium
QUOTE (rockren @ May 3 2010, 12:17 PM) *

First off.. Rose's game has changed A TON since he was in college.. he's so much better at creating space for a jump shot and shooting mid-range jumpers

i think obviously the one who knows the most about rose's game is anyone coaching there now.

for as many bonehead decisions he's made and small ball lineups he's put on the floor.. rose is REALLY progressing into an allstar
Sanitarium
oh well. he gon'

According to a broadcast report in Chicago, Vinny Del Negro finally has been fired as coach of the Bulls -- putting a merciful end to his rocky two-year tenure.

CBS-2 in Chicago reported Monday that the decision to let Del Negro go came after a series of organizational meetings that concluded Sunday with a sitdown with Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf.

Earlier, the Chicago Tribune reported in Monday morning's editions that Del Negro's firing was inevitable and likely would be officially announced Tuesday.

Sources said the confrontation with Paxson did not play a role in Del Negro's firing, partly because his dismissal may have been a foregone conclusion anyway. Also, the argument itself wasn't as much of a concern to top management as the actions leading up to it. Del Negro wasn't the first person to draw the ire of Paxson, known for his raw emotions and temper. But once people close to the situation began hearing the word "insubordination" used to describe Del Negro's actions, the end game was clear.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/1...akingNewsHolder
Cowch
Man, idk if this is good or bad news. I guess a lot depends on how the rest of the offseason goes. Hopefully the Bulls will be in a much better place at the beginning of next season.
DutheDoduhon21
Though the focus will immediately turn to a coaching search that could include such candidates as Doug Collins, Maurice Cheeks, Eric Musselman, Phil Jackson, Jeff Van Gundy, Byron Scott, Sam Mitchell, Tom Thibodeau, Lawrence Frank, Dwane Casey, Avery Johnson and John Calipari, the Del Negro era goes out with something of a bang.

thats a pretty nice list. i think we should have kept vinny, but it is what it is, good luck to him.
rockren
QUOTE (DutheDoduhon21 @ May 3 2010, 06:48 PM) *
thats a pretty nice list. i think we should have kept vinny, but it is what it is, good luck to him.

I also hope the very best for him. I liked VDN before he came to Chicago and that has not changed a bit. I appreciated what he poured into Chicago the past two seasons.
DutheDoduhon21
other coaching tidbits
The Bulls held team options on assistants Bernie Bickerstaff and Bob Ociepka, which won't be exercised. It's likely assistants Pete Myers and Mike Wilhelm will remain in the organization.
rockren
QUOTE (DutheDoduhon21 @ May 3 2010, 11:22 PM) *
other coaching tidbits

Pete Myers just won't leave
Balta1701-B
I'd like to add...

YAY!

That is all.
Wanne
I guess if you're not going to get Collins...Tom Thibodeau should finally get a shot IMO. I'm really enthused about anybody I've read on any list. John Calipari?!? lolhitting.gif Really?!?
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (Wanne @ May 4 2010, 12:51 PM) *
I guess if you're not going to get Collins...Tom Thibodeau should finally get a shot IMO. I'm really enthused about anybody I've read on any list. John Calipari?!? lolhitting.gif Really?!?

As I said a page ago...Calipari in the running = major recruiting sanctions coming for UK.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
The Bulls surely won't go after another coach with no head coaching experience.. My guess is they'll try for JVG. Phil Jackson is a nice name but Reinsdorf won't pay him the kind of salary he wants.
DutheDoduhon21
vinny just spoke saying he wanted to thank jerry for the opportunity and how proud he is of the players and how hard they worked and improved. thanked the fans for packing the UC and supporting the team.
i feel bad for him but im excited about our next coach. in the press conf. gar said he wont put a timetable on the search and also wont put the type of coach they are looking for "in a box". he did go on to say a strong defensive philosophy is extremely important and wants a up-tempo offense that will be able to get out and run to fit drose and the rest of the team.
and pax apologized for the incident on march 30 saying he lost it and is not proud of the way he acted and dealt with the issue.
Wanne
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ May 4 2010, 11:08 AM) *
As I said a page ago...Calipari in the running = major recruiting sanctions coming for UK.

oh I understand that Balta...but why anybody would even consider this guy as a HC is beyond me.

My wish list in order:

1. Doogie Collins
2. Thibodeau
3. Cheeks
4. Van Gundy
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (Wanne @ May 4 2010, 01:50 PM) *
oh I understand that Balta...but why anybody would even consider this guy as a HC is beyond me.

Well...we do need a recruiter this offseason...and if Calipari were to commit any recruiting violations in getting Bosh into Chicago...I'm not sure I'd care.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
I'll take Calipari IF he can get us Lebron or Wade. If not, no thanks. But there would be no way of knowing that going in anyways so I probably wouldn't seriously consider him as our next coach. I don't really want anyone out there right now. My opinion has been known for a while that I didn't think Vinny deserved to be fired, and I don't find any coach out there now, (Other than obviously Phil Jackson) that gets my vote over Vinny. None of these names get me excited at all.
rockren
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ May 4 2010, 05:35 PM) *
Well...we do need a recruiter this offseason...and if Calipari were to commit any recruiting violations in getting Bosh into Chicago...I'm not sure I'd care.

This
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.