Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bulls thinking big—but big enough?
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Cute Little Bulls Fan
Bulls thinking big—but big enough?
GM John Paxson has the cash for a post standout but doesn't want a problem player

By Marlen Garcia
Tribune staff reporter
Published May 5, 2006, 10:45 PM CDT

John Paxson is thinking big if not bold.

This summer the Bulls' general manager finally will have the salary-cap space to acquire a big-time, established post player, the kind sorely lacking in the Bulls' season-ending first-round playoff loss to the Miami Heat.

Don't hold your breath for a blockbuster deal.

Paxson isn't known for taking risks, which has benefited the Bulls to a large extent in his three-year tenure. His business sense and basketball mind have restored respectability to the franchise.

But will he be conservative to a fault? This summer might tell the story.

Friday, in an informal media gathering, Paxson reiterated he would look for players who meet the demanding criteria he and coach Scott Skiles set.

The translation: Don't expect a star.

The rap on many NBA standouts is that they're prima donnas. Skiles does not allow personal agendas to trump the team. Only an injured player is permitted to take a play off in practice.

"I believe strongly that we can't make mistakes in terms of the type of guys we bring in here, in terms of their character, in terms of their work ethic," Paxson said. "I was part of a group that 10 years ago brought Dennis Rodman in, but we had a team that had won. We had a team with proven veterans.

"We're not in a position to bring in questionable types for our system and our program. If people say that's conservative, that's the way it's going to be. There are a lot of talented guys who might not have gotten any further in the playoffs than we did. I'm going to try very hard not to make that mistake."

In other words, it's highly unlikely a trade will be made for Kevin Garnett, an All-Star who has missed the playoffs the last two seasons.

The free-agent market, like this year's draft, looks a little thin, but Ben Wallace and Al Harrington would be popular choices. Wallace, though, is expected to remain with Detroit. Atlanta's Harrington, 26, averaged 18.6 points per game, a career best in his eighth season.

Among college prospects, power forwards LaMarcus Aldridge of Texas and Tyrus Thomas of Louisiana State are atop the list.

The Bulls will have $15 million to $20 million in salary-cap space, plenty to make other general managers envious.

Two first-round picks in the June draft, including a lottery pick courtesy of the Eddy Curry trade with the New York Knicks last fall, give them flexibility to pull off a major trade.

"If we can trade both those picks for someone who can start for us at the center or power-forward spot, we'd have to consider that," Paxson said.

The core players—Luol Deng, Ben Gordon, Kirk Hinrich and Andres Nocioni—also are attractive trade commodities, but Paxson would be reluctant to let them go. Hinrich is highly likely to get a multiyear extension after Aug. 1.

To part with one of them, Paxson must believe the acquisition can get the team to the Eastern Conference finals.

"If you give up on [players] too soon, and not for the right reason, you can set your franchise back," he said.

That sounds like someone who plans to play it safe this summer.

The Bulls' secondary need is for a tall guard who can take some of the burden off Hinrich on defense.

Hinrich, among other Bulls, expects Paxson to make a splash. He believes it should start with a post presence.

"We just need a dominating inside player," Hinrich said. "We have a lot of room, a lot of money. I don't know who exactly it will be, but I look for us to make some big improvements."

He shouldn't be so sure. Paxson seems set on erring on the side of caution.

"If, just for the sake of argument, we decide we're going to keep this core together, and we add two players in the draft, go out in free agency and get a couple of players we like, there's no reason for me to believe we're not going to be a better basketball team," he said.
Bullies4Life
Paxson is awesome.. he tells it how it is cool.gif
bulls91
QUOTE (Cute Little Bulls Fan @ May 6 2006, 09:01 AM)
Bulls thinking big—but big enough?
GM John Paxson has the cash for a post standout but doesn't want a problem player

By Marlen Garcia
Tribune staff reporter
Published May 5, 2006, 10:45 PM CDT

John Paxson is thinking big if not bold.

This summer the Bulls' general manager finally will have the salary-cap space to acquire a big-time, established post player, the kind sorely lacking in the Bulls' season-ending first-round playoff loss to the Miami Heat.

Don't hold your breath for a blockbuster deal.

Paxson isn't known for taking risks, which has benefited the Bulls to a large extent in his three-year tenure. His business sense and basketball mind have restored respectability to the franchise.

But will he be conservative to a fault? This summer might tell the story.

Friday, in an informal media gathering, Paxson reiterated he would look for players who meet the demanding criteria he and coach Scott Skiles set.

The translation: Don't expect a star.

The rap on many NBA standouts is that they're prima donnas. Skiles does not allow personal agendas to trump the team. Only an injured player is permitted to take a play off in practice.

"I believe strongly that we can't make mistakes in terms of the type of guys we bring in here, in terms of their character, in terms of their work ethic," Paxson said. "I was part of a group that 10 years ago brought Dennis Rodman in, but we had a team that had won. We had a team with proven veterans.

"We're not in a position to bring in questionable types for our system and our program. If people say that's conservative, that's the way it's going to be. There are a lot of talented guys who might not have gotten any further in the playoffs than we did. I'm going to try very hard not to make that mistake."

In other words, it's highly unlikely a trade will be made for Kevin Garnett, an All-Star who has missed the playoffs the last two seasons.

The free-agent market, like this year's draft, looks a little thin, but Ben Wallace and Al Harrington would be popular choices. Wallace, though, is expected to remain with Detroit. Atlanta's Harrington, 26, averaged 18.6 points per game, a career best in his eighth season.

Among college prospects, power forwards LaMarcus Aldridge of Texas and Tyrus Thomas of Louisiana State are atop the list.

The Bulls will have $15 million to $20 million in salary-cap space, plenty to make other general managers envious.

Two first-round picks in the June draft, including a lottery pick courtesy of the Eddy Curry trade with the New York Knicks last fall, give them flexibility to pull off a major trade.

"If we can trade both those picks for someone who can start for us at the center or power-forward spot, we'd have to consider that," Paxson said.

The core players—Luol Deng, Ben Gordon, Kirk Hinrich and Andres Nocioni—also are attractive trade commodities, but Paxson would be reluctant to let them go. Hinrich is highly likely to get a multiyear extension after Aug. 1.

To part with one of them, Paxson must believe the acquisition can get the team to the Eastern Conference finals.

"If you give up on [players] too soon, and not for the right reason, you can set your franchise back," he said.

That sounds like someone who plans to play it safe this summer.

The Bulls' secondary need is for a tall guard who can take some of the burden off Hinrich on defense.

Hinrich, among other Bulls, expects Paxson to make a splash. He believes it should start with a post presence.

"We just need a dominating inside player," Hinrich said. "We have a lot of room, a lot of money. I don't know who exactly it will be, but I look for us to make some big improvements."

He shouldn't be so sure. Paxson seems set on erring on the side of caution.

"If, just for the sake of argument, we decide we're going to keep this core together, and we add two players in the draft, go out in free agency and get a couple of players we like, there's no reason for me to believe we're not going to be a better basketball team," he said.

sounds like he has some good ideas up his sleeve this summer and with his smartness i think that this will be a whole lot better team next year.
The Gladiator
This is what I hate about Paxson and Skiles, there too damn conservative!!!! PAXSON NEEDS TO TAKE CHANCES! You never know untill you try! I SERIOUSLY would go after Bonzi Wells. A "Big Gaurd that can defend" And Rebound. Then with our PF spot we draft either Thomas or Aldridge (I dont care who) and we need to sign a "True" Center because Tyson sucks at that spot and I dont see him starting at that position anyways. With our 16th pick we draft Randy Foye. He would be a good backup for Hinrich. That way we can get rid of Pargo (Thank God). You Like?
Bullies4Life
Foye will not be there at the 16th....

I like Bonzi as a player, but he doesnt fit this team.... We would have to pay him some big bucks, and would be sharing a lot of playing time w/ Gordon... And i want to see Gordon get a lot minutes out there.... The guy is gonna be something special... trust me.... He showed some consistency at the end of the year by driving in a lot and going to the line... and wait till we get a front court... that would open up so many things for Ben.

U guys also have to remember that we shouldnt sign so many players just for the heck of it... Kirk will be getting paid some big bucks coming soon... and then Ben Gordon, Luol, Noc, are coming up.... pax will also probably spent some money on the front court on maybe just one player... and then sign up a taller guard for cheap money.... So later on, we will have to pay Chandler, Kirk, Noc, Luol, Our draft pick later on, the free agent we sign.... theres just too many contracts that are coming up, so just because the bulls have a lot of money RIGHT NOW doesnt mean we should go out there and sign a lot of free agents for big bucks or whatever....
The Dude Abides
QUOTE (The Gladiator @ May 6 2006, 06:30 PM)
This is what I hate about Paxson and Skiles, there too damn conservative!!!! PAXSON NEEDS TO TAKE CHANCES! You never know untill you try! I SERIOUSLY would go after Bonzi Wells. A "Big Gaurd that can defend" And Rebound. Then with our PF spot we draft either Thomas or Aldridge (I dont care who) and we need to sign a "True" Center because Tyson sucks at that spot and I dont see him starting at that position anyways. With our 16th pick we draft Randy Foye. He would be a good backup for Hinrich. That way we can get rid of Pargo (Thank God). You Like?

bonzi wells is the antithesis of what pax and skiles are building. I wouldnt give up Basden for Wells.

I really admire what PAx is doing. letting guys developing, making a team, rebuilding a winning tradition. Detroit has no super stars and they are the best team in the league...they win as a team and I think thats smart for pax to continue building the team that way.
RememberThe90's
PAXSON NEEDS TO TAKE CHANCES!

Our previous GM(the fat little man) liked to take chances.

Like trading an up and coming star power foward for a skinny twig with no offensive game.

I'll stick with Pax's mentality.
Chisoxfn
I'd think about Wells. We need a legit 2 guard. Right now I'd love ot package, Tyson, Gordon, and a draft pick for something good (our pick or the Knicks), than make a FA signing or two, as well as take a big in the draft.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 8 2006, 10:56 AM)
I'd think about Wells. We need a legit 2 guard. Right now I'd love ot package, Tyson, Gordon, and a draft pick for something good (our pick or the Knicks), than make a FA signing or two, as well as take a big in the draft.

John Hollinger at ESPN had a good Bonzi Wells quote a few minutes ago. Here's an NBA GM quiz. When you're an NBA GM looking at Bonzi Wells do you a.) focus on the last few good games he played in the playoffs or b.) focus on the many other games he's played in his career.

If you answered a., you're either Isiah Thomas or well on your way to being him.
Kalapse
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ May 8 2006, 08:42 PM)
John Hollinger at ESPN had a good Bonzi Wells quote a few minutes ago.  Here's an NBA GM quiz.  When you're an NBA GM looking at Bonzi Wells do you a.) focus on the last few good games he played in the playoffs or b.) focus on the many other games he's played in his career.

If you answered a., you're either Isiah Thomas or well on your way to being him.

This works for Tim Thomas as well.
madisonsmadhouse

A guy like Bonzi Wells could easily destroy what the Bulls have been doing here in Chicago. It only takes one guy on the floor to screw up what the other 4 are trying to accomplish on the floor, and what the other 11 are trying to do in practice.

There is no chance we see a blackhole like this in Chicago.
SleepyWhiteSox
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ May 8 2006, 02:42 PM)
John Hollinger at ESPN had a good Bonzi Wells quote a few minutes ago. Here's an NBA GM quiz. When you're an NBA GM looking at Bonzi Wells do you a.) focus on the last few good games he played in the playoffs or b.) focus on the many other games he's played in his career.

Bonzi was solid in Portland. He's one of the, if not the, best true SGs at posting up, and a good rebounder too. Memphis had way too many SGs and SFs. Go ahead and take a look at how he played during the season (when not injured) if you want too.

But we're probably gonna stay away from almost all former and current Trailblazers. I don't disagree with that.
SleepyWhiteSox
QUOTE (RememberThe90's @ May 8 2006, 08:04 AM)
Our previous GM(the fat little man) liked to take chances.

Like trading an up and coming star power foward for a skinny twig with no offensive game.

I'll stick with Pax's mentality.

Huge difference between smart chances and utterly moronic ones...
SleepyWhiteSox
QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 8 2006, 02:43 PM)
This works for Tim Thomas as well.

Did he even get a fair chance here?

We'll never know...
hammerhead johnson
QUOTE (The Dude Abides @ May 7 2006, 09:40 PM)
Detroit has no super stars and they are the best team in the league...they win as a team and I think thats smart for pax to continue building the team that way.

Hmmm, let's see.

Ben Wallace = Top 10 defender in the history of the NBA
Chauncey Billups = Best 4th quarter PG in the NBA
Tayshaun Prince = Top 3 perimiter defender in the NBA
Rasheed Wallace = An offensive superstar when he is the focal point

The Pistons have championship-caliber personnel. You keep telling yourself that Ben Wallace isn't a superstar. Meanwhile, he's right there with Bill Russell, Dennis Rodman, Hakeem Olajuwon, Scottie Pippen, Michael Jordan, Dikembe Mutombo, etc.

Defensive monsters are the true championship links. When are you going to figure that out? And you continue to spiff on the Bulls player with major defensive upside. You mention him in damn near evey post. How does it feel to be philosophically-challenged? But you're not alone, trust me. wink.gif
hammerhead johnson
QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ May 9 2006, 12:09 PM)
Did he even get a fair chance here?

We'll never know...

Eh, the guy is a piece of spiff. He's been around for a while now. You pretty much know what you're getting.
hammerhead johnson
QUOTE (Bullies4Life @ May 6 2006, 06:48 PM)
And i want to see Gordon get a lot minutes out there.... The guy is gonna be something special... trust me.... He showed some consistency at the end of the year by driving in a lot and going to the line... and wait till we get a front court... that would open up so many things for Ben.

Really, as a 6'1 SG?

Here's the funny part: Allen Iverson is a lousy team player, and he's like a million times better than Gordon. laugh.gif

I wouldn't take Iverson on my team if his services were free.

Undersized combo guards kill teams. This ain't the YMCA where you can throw up ill-advised shots left and right. It's the motherfucking NBA, and midget SGs have no place on your team if you plan on winning.
soxfan101
QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ May 9 2006, 12:53 PM)
Hmmm, let's see.

Ben Wallace = Top 10 defender in the history of the NBA
Chauncey Billups = Best 4th quarter PG in the NBA
Tayshaun Prince = Top 3 perimiter defender in the NBA
Rasheed Wallace = An offensive superstar when he is the focal point

The Pistons have championship-caliber personnel. You keep telling yourself that Ben Wallace isn't a superstar. Meanwhile, he's right there with Bill Russell, Dennis Rodman, Hakeem Olajuwon, Scottie Pippen, Michael Jordan, Dikembe Mutombo, etc.

Defensive monsters are the true championship links. When are you going to figure that out? And you continue to spiff on the Bulls player with major defensive upside. You mention him in damn near evey post. How does it feel to be philosophically-challenged? But you're not alone, trust me. wink.gif

When will you get over your love for defense.... While guys that play defense are valuable ive never seen someone overate it sooooo much. In terms of impact yes Ben Wallace is a great player. But he isnt a superstar. None of the pistons are superstars. The superstars in the league are Shaq, Wade, Kobe, Lebron, T-Mac, Yao, Garnett, Carter, AI, Duncan, Dirk, Carmelo, and Nash.

Prob a couple im missing and maybe a couple of those players dont deserve to be on the list. But those are the current "superstars" in the NBA. The piston is a team full of stars. Whether they are better players or not doesnt matter.
madisonsmadhouse
For those who haven't seen before... Mr Bonzi Wells

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonzi_Wells

Bonzi however did have his share of on and off the court incidents. During his tenure with the Blazers, Bonzi was suspended for two games for publicly cursing at his coach after being taken out of a game. Bonzi was also fined in a separate incident for making an obscene gesture to a fan in a loss to the Philadelphia 76ers. When asked by a media reporter about the incident, he said, "I black out sometimes," and then winked and smiled at the camera. Wells was suspended one game without pay and fined $10,000 for intentionally striking and verbally abusing an official in 2000. Bonzi and teammate Erick Barkley in 2001 were cited for criminal trespass after they refused to leave the scene by order of an officer of a fight near a downtown nightclub. Bonzi was also suspended for a undisclosed reason during the 2005 playoffs.

He fights with teammates, coaches, refs, and the law. He will never be a Chicago Bull as long as Pax and Skiles are in charge.
Alpha Double Negative
regarding the pistons:

The whole not having a superstar thing because moot when you have 5 stars.
illinilaw08
QUOTE (soxfan101 @ May 9 2006, 01:54 PM)
When will you get over your love for defense.... While guys that play defense are valuable ive never seen someone overate it sooooo much. In terms of impact yes Ben Wallace is a great player. But he isnt a superstar. None of the pistons are superstars. The superstars in the league are Shaq, Wade, Kobe, Lebron, T-Mac, Yao, Garnett, Carter, AI, Duncan, Dirk, Carmelo, and Nash.

Prob a couple im missing and maybe a couple of those players dont deserve to be on the list. But those are the current "superstars" in the NBA. The piston is a team full of stars. Whether they are better players or not doesnt matter.

Defense is what wins championships in the NBA. Dallas won a ton of games in the regular season, but this year is the closest they are to a title because they have a built a solid defensive team.

The Bulls dynasty had 2 superstars, and they were both the best defensive players at their positions.

Pax and Skiles are building a team to win championships, not just make the playoffs, and that absolutely involves a player like Hinrich.
Bullies4Life
QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ May 9 2006, 01:06 PM)
Really, as a 6'1 SG?

Here's the funny part: Allen Iverson is a lousy team player, and he's like a million times better than Gordon.  laugh.gif

I wouldn't take Iverson on my team if his services were free.

Undersized combo guards kill teams.  This ain't the YMCA where you can throw up ill-advised shots left and right.  It's the motherfucking NBA, and midget SGs have no place on your team if you plan on winning.

6'1 SG? last time i checked he was 6'3 w/ shoes.. thats the difference between a 7 footer, and a 6'10 guy....

Anyways... Bulls have shown they can win w/ both hinrich and Gordon out there.... Height is the most overrated thing ever... its all about what the player does out there on the court....

As far as defense goes... Hinrich as proven that he can guard most 2 guards... he does have problems w/ the ones that back down(which there isnt that much) but we can adress that w/ just getting a tall defensive minded guard that can start and get a few minutes, or come off the bench...

And Allen Iverson is not a lousy team player... why would u say something like that?...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.