Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stern suggests rule changes possible
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Balta1701-B
These sound like they'd be decent improvements to game quality. I think I'd like to see the basket interference rule go away, that would actually improve some plays (the high rebound/dunk move, for example). And definitely get rid of the "foul away from the ball 2 shots" trick. Foul the ball carrier.
Signs are increasingly strong that change is coming to the NBA. At Wednesday's draft lottery, David Stern signaled that he will urge a newly formed competition committee to consider significant rule changes -- for instance, the elimination of basket interference, video analysis to punish floppers and increased video review of flagrant fouls.

He also mused about a fairly significant change to fouls away from the ball late in games: "We should consider one of two things, or maybe both," the commissioner explained. "One is the rule, in the last two minutes, it's one shot and possession for a foul away from the ball. Or, two, just no shots. Give the team that got fouled, let the seconds tick off the clock and you give the ball back to the team that had it."

On May 16 the NBA announced the formation of a new competition committee. Previously, the committee had been comprised of 30 general managers or their designees. Sources who were in those meetings say they were starkly ineffective, with few general managers interested in rule changes and many sending deputies to sit through aimless meetings.

The new committee -- set to meet for the first time at the NBA Finals next month -- is designed to be more nimble, with just 10 members: Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert, Warriors owner Joe Lacob, Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo, Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak, Jazz GM Kevin O'Connor, Thunder GM Sam Presti, Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle, Grizzlies coach Lionel Hollins, Celtics coach Doc Rivers and a player to be named by the National Basketball Players Association (NBPA).

Based on Stern's comments, the committee will have a lot to consider.

"There's no shortage of issues to be discussed from rules enforcements to video replay to a variety of other issues," Stern said.

"I happen to be a fan of the elimination of basket interference," he says of the rule that prohibits offensive players from touching the ball while it is in the area above the rim. "I think it's one of those plays that if you look at it, and if you watch the number of times that players either do or don't touch the ball, it really puts the referees in a very uncomfortable position, because even on replay, I'm not sure you can get it right. ... I look at that together with video replay where we have to continue on our march, which has been pretty embracing to expand the areas in which we use instant replay. Those are two areas.

"And in some ways, I guess flopping, I would consider it not instant, but thorough review, I think we are going to approach something that many tell me is impossible, which is deciding whether someone was acting or was actually -- and thereby tending, intending to trick the fans, and the referees; or, whether there was a legitimate reason for that particular person to go sprawling. And then the question is, what to do in that case, and that's the kind of discussion that I look forward to having with the committee."
Jake
I love the basket interference idea. That one is impossible to call for refs most of the time. Taking it away makes it easier on the refs and adds excitement to the game.

I'm not really sure where I stand on this off-the-ball foul business. I'll leave that one to the competition committee until I hear a better argument for or against.

Flopping is tough. I think to some extent it is part of the game. However, IIRC it is still against the rules to "fake" a foul. Falling down when a guy runs into you to take a charge when maybe you could have held your ground is different than simply falling over at will. I think the best way to deal with it is not by doing review in games (will probably take forever and sorting out which are reviewable will be maddening) but to hand out fines, suspensions, etc to players caught ex post facto doing the deed. We used to see a GIF of Chris Bosh getting fouled by the air while guarding Carlos Boozer -- that would be an example of penalized offense in my mind.
ZoomSlowik
One thing I'm not totally sure about: I assume this means that it's only for offensive interference and goaltending rules still apply? It seems like that can really help offenses if the defense has to wait for the ball to come out of the cylinder and the offense doesn't.
Jake
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 21 2012, 04:54 PM) *
One thing I'm not totally sure about: I assume this means that it's only for offensive interference and goaltending rules still apply? It seems like that can really help offenses if the defense has to wait for the ball to come out of the cylinder and the offense doesn't.

I suppose you'd have to clarify the rule so that the defense can try to rebound/contest those balls while still not being able to goaltend by standing near the hoop and swatting like Garnett does on dead balls
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 21 2012, 06:01 PM) *
I suppose you'd have to clarify the rule so that the defense can try to rebound/contest those balls while still not being able to goaltend by standing near the hoop and swatting like Garnett does on dead balls

I don't know that this one is difficult...if the ball is coming out of the cylinder, both teams can go after it, if the ball is going in to the cylinder, the only team that wants to go after it is the defense, and that part remains goaltending.
dasox24
I love the idea of reviewing flops post-game and handing out fines for it. Flopping has gotten ridiculous.

Not so crazy about basket inference. I agree that it puts the defense in a tough position if the offense can go after the ball while the defense has to kind of wait on it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.