Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2012 offseason FA/trade rumor thread
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Balta1701-B
Start off with this one. Sam Smith saying the Celtics will make a run at Asik.
Jake
It all depends on the money. I"m sure as hell not paying Asik 5 million bucks, but if it's in the range of 2 or 3 I'll probably do it. Pax said on the radio they intend to get to him as soon as they are allowed to sign him to try to pre-empt any other offer sheets. Apparently they think Asik's agent is an idiot.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 21 2012, 02:36 PM) *
It all depends on the money. I"m sure as hell not paying Asik 5 million bucks, but if it's in the range of 2 or 3 I'll probably do it. Pax said on the radio they intend to get to him as soon as they are allowed to sign him to try to pre-empt any other offer sheets. Apparently they think Asik's agent is an idiot.

Asik will absolutely get the full MLE from someone given that he's "Tall".
WHarris1
Here is an article from Sam Amico at FoxSports talking about the possibility of the Bulls trading up: http://www.foxsportsohio.com/06/15/12/NBA-...amp;feedID=3725

Also mentions a couple of potential free agent targets.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jun 21 2012, 04:11 PM) *
Here is an article from Sam Amico at FoxSports talking about the possibility of the Bulls trading up: http://www.foxsportsohio.com/06/15/12/NBA-...amp;feedID=3725

Also mentions a couple of potential free agent targets.

It'll be near impossible for the Bulls to do all 3 of these:

Keep Asik
Avoid the Luxury Tax
Sign anyone for any fraction of the MLE

Unless they can move one of their big contracts or they let someone like CJ or Korver with an option walk.

WHarris1
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jun 21 2012, 03:15 PM) *
It'll be near impossible for the Bulls to do all 3 of these:

Keep Asik
Avoid the Luxury Tax
Sign anyone for any fraction of the MLE

Unless they can move one of their big contracts or they let someone like CJ or Korver with an option walk.

Right. The choice they face is either, move Deng, get rid of pretty much the entire bench, or pay a substantial lux tax.
Jake
I don't mind saying goodbye to CJ or Brewer or Asik, and even Korver if need be. I stated these in the order that I'm willing to let them go.

We'll have to keep in mind which bench players we let go when we draft, however. Dropping CJ puts the pressure on to get a PG, Brewer to get an SG, Asik a C.

I'd prefer we drop CJ and see if we can get an Andre Miller type as a FA
madisonsmadhouse
There is no way the Bulls let Asik leave.
Jake
I think he is probably overvalued, but not that easy to replace either.
2nd_city_saint787
QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 21 2012, 04:19 PM) *
I think he is probably overvalued, but not that easy to replace either.

This...well the first part anyway. He'll never develop into more than a good defensive player. With Thibs as the head coach I think they can grab most any young big and turn them into Omer Asik. It's not like Omers a high motor, athletic 7 foot (like Noah) so I think he's def replaceable.
Quinarvy
From other boards, the Bulls apparently really want to move up to nab Beal or Barnes.

The problem is, if they get Beal, there's a big whole at SF.
2nd_city_saint787
QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 21 2012, 08:32 PM) *
From other boards, the Bulls apparently really want to move up to nab Beal or Barnes.

The problem is, if they get Beal, there's a big whole at SF.

It'd be Ronnie Brewer/Kyle Korver for a year and then hope Butler can step up for the future.

If they decide to amnesty Boozer next year and CJ/KK/RB are all gone they can sign a SF...Could you imagine Josh Smith, Taj Gibson, and Joakim Noah in the same starting lineup???
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 21 2012, 11:01 PM) *
It'd be Ronnie Brewer/Kyle Korver for a year and then hope Butler can step up for the future.

If they decide to amnesty Boozer next year and CJ/KK/RB are all gone they can sign a SF...Could you imagine Josh Smith, Taj Gibson, and Joakim Noah in the same starting lineup???

Especially if Rose is going to be out for most of the year, there's no reason why you can't give the time to Butler starting the year off if you move Deng.

Oftentimes, the single most important thing you can give a developing kid is playing time. They have to make mistakes to learn from them, and that just doesn't happen in practice.
Jake
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jun 22 2012, 07:42 AM) *
Especially if Rose is going to be out for most of the year, there's no reason why you can't give the time to Butler starting the year off if you move Deng.

Oftentimes, the single most important thing you can give a developing kid is playing time. They have to make mistakes to learn from them, and that just doesn't happen in practice.

The talent evaluators at be will have to decide whether Jimmy's talent is worth those growing pains. I honestly haven't seen nearly enough of him to know, but I'd imagine the coaching staff has a pretty good idea. One thing I would say that encouraged me is that Jimmy showed poise on the court, never seemed to let it show that he was overwhelmed (or perhaps he just wasn't).
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 22 2012, 10:13 AM) *
The talent evaluators at be will have to decide whether Jimmy's talent is worth those growing pains. I honestly haven't seen nearly enough of him to know, but I'd imagine the coaching staff has a pretty good idea. One thing I would say that encouraged me is that Jimmy showed poise on the court, never seemed to let it show that he was overwhelmed (or perhaps he just wasn't).

Even if they don't have a lot of confidence in him...what's the real risk? This is, as far as I'm concerned, a busted season. Even if they stand pat, the team gets more expensive, older, and may darn well miss the playoffs with Deng missing 1/3+ of the season and Rose maybe the whole thing.

This is a great year to play the kids, and even if you don't like where one is now, maybe there's a lightbulb that goes on with playing time.
Jake
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jun 22 2012, 09:16 AM) *
Even if they don't have a lot of confidence in him...what's the real risk? This is, as far as I'm concerned, a busted season. Even if they stand pat, the team gets more expensive, older, and may darn well miss the playoffs with Deng missing 1/3+ of the season and Rose maybe the whole thing.

This is a great year to play the kids, and even if you don't like where one is now, maybe there's a lightbulb that goes on with playing time.

What I mean is that if they think little of Butler's talent, it would make more sense to go ahead and acquire someone that would better flourish with that playing time. They may want to bring someone else in even if they do like Jimmy, just for depth/hedging their bets if Jimmy doesn't work out. If they could turn Jimmy into a nice player, that'd be a nice late 1st round draft pick and the second one of its kind (Taj Gibson comes to mind) in recent years. That's quite a leap though.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 22 2012, 10:29 AM) *
What I mean is that if they think little of Butler's talent, it would make more sense to go ahead and acquire someone that would better flourish with that playing time. They may want to bring someone else in even if they do like Jimmy, just for depth/hedging their bets if Jimmy doesn't work out. If they could turn Jimmy into a nice player, that'd be a nice late 1st round draft pick and the second one of its kind (Taj Gibson comes to mind) in recent years. That's quite a leap though.

The difference with Butler is...he's an asset the Bulls already have. Bringing in someone with more talent takes either a draft pick or talent in a trade. If you can maximize Butler's value by working him hard this season when Rose and Deng are out, then that's a real useful accomplishment, even if he's just a "solid rotation piece" and not a star or anything.
2nd_city_saint787
Another rumor being floated out there is Deng for Richard Jefferson or Biedrins and the #7.

Looking at Biedrins, what happened to him after the 08-09 season?? He went from being an 11/11 guy, getting to the free throw line over 200 times, to a guy whos been a non factor who never got the line more than 31 times in a season.

Richard Jefferson has been fantastic from beyond the arc the last few years, shooting above 40% the last 3 years. With Deng being traded he'd be a good replacement for a few years.

Picking at 7 takes you out of the running for Barnes and Beal but guys like J. Lamb, Ross, Rivers, and Waiters will all more than likely be there.

ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 22 2012, 01:57 PM) *
Another rumor being floated out there is Deng for Richard Jefferson or Biedrins and the #7.

Looking at Biedrins, what happened to him after the 08-09 season?? He went from being an 11/11 guy, getting to the free throw line over 200 times, to a guy whos been a non factor who never got the line more than 31 times in a season.

Richard Jefferson has been fantastic from beyond the arc the last few years, shooting above 40% the last 3 years. With Deng being traded he'd be a good replacement for a few years.

Picking at 7 takes you out of the running for Barnes and Beal but guys like J. Lamb, Ross, Rivers, and Waiters will all more than likely be there.

He was never really any good. He was athletic, that was about it. He has basically no skills, fouls a ton on defense and now he's terrified of getting fouled because he's a comically bad FT shooter. A lot of guys put up stats on those Warriors teams given their pace of play. It also helps that he was their only real interior player.
2nd_city_saint787
What do you think about Jefferson for a few years? I like the deal, Jeffersons not the scorer Deng is anymore but the if they grab the right SG in the draft whomever they pick can make up for that.

Next year I'd let Korver and Brewer go and use Butler as the backup SF. Really I'd do that regardless of what happens, as mentioned before the Bulls need to give Butler more minutes to see what he's going to be.

When healthy:

Rose/Hinrich (or whatever MLE PG they grab)
Rip/Rookie
Jefferson/Butler
Boozer/Taj
Noah/Asik

Hinrich, Rip, and Jefferson are 3 good vets for the rookie and Butler to learn from

ZoomSlowik
Jefferson is alright. He's certainly developed into a good 3-point shooter and still has flashes of athleticism. Not a bad defender either. He's not exactly a bargain financially though, especially given he's a role player now and is fairly old now.

It'd depend on what kind of rookie they got, it'd definitely have to be someone with good potential.
Jake
Are we saying we bring in Jefferson in lieu of Deng because we improve our draft position? If so, I might be okay with that. A good draft with two 1st round picks could really heal some of these wounds.
2nd_city_saint787
I think a veteran "role player" like Jefferson would be perfect going forward. Especially next year, I wanna see what the Bulls have in Jimmy Butler, he has impressed me when he's on the court. A guy like RJ won't log as many minutes as Deng so it would mean more time for Butler.

So basically the trade means:

-More Jimmy Butler, which I like
-We add our Shane Battier, which worked for the champs.
-We potentially add a young starting SG. Bulls have drafted pretty good the last few years, I trust they pick the right guy between Ross, Rivers, and Lamb. I think they're all better than what they've thrown out there at SG the last 2 years

In said situation I think Terrance Ross would be the best pick because he's capable of paying the 2 and the 3. When the time comes and the Bulls have the money to offer a big contract they can target a SF OR a SG with Ross being able to slide to the other position.

It'd be pretty sweet if Jefferson doesn't pick up his player option next year for whatever reason and they amnesty Booze. This sets you up for a run at Harden, Martin, Ellis, Evans (after he has a monster year I'm predicting now), or Josh Smith. A Rose-Harden-Ross-Taj-Noah lineup is pretty sick, if Ross turns out to be good, or hell Butler turns out to be good then that is no doubt a championship caliber team. Once Mirotic comes over a bench of Mirotic, Butler, Asik, #29 this year (D.Lamb? trade up for Wroten? trade down for Taylor/Machado/Intl. prospect), next years draft pick/MLE is a pretty good looking bench as well.

Balta1701-B
QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 24 2012, 04:35 AM) *
-We add our Shane Battier, which worked for the champs.

Don't mistake wind up having won the title with having made moves that should be followed. They won that title because of the big players, not because of the role players.
Jake
I'm also uncertain what Jefferson has in common with Shane Battier. I was always a big fan of Shane's though.

It's hard for me to take a lineup that only has 2 starters in common with the one that went to the ECF and includes two players that have never started in the NBA before and know that it is a championship squad. I like Harden but I'm uncertain of our ability to acquire him and I don't think I want to give him a max contract, which he may get from a struggling team trying to make its mark.

A trade that gets us a high draft pick this year and a subsequent good 2 draft picks in the first round could certainly alter the trajectory of this franchise, but that's true for every club.
Quinarvy
Everyone does realize Jefferon is pretty damn terrible, right?

From the internet rumor mill the Bulls want cap space, a serviceable player, and a pick for Deng +.
Jake
QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 24 2012, 12:04 PM) *
Everyone does realize Jefferon is pretty damn terrible, right?

From the internet rumor mill the Bulls want cap space, a serviceable player, and a pick for Deng +.

The more I think about it, the more I think we'll do a deal with Sacramento.

From their end though, I have to wonder how eager a struggling team like that is to give up a high draft pick. I suppose they may not think highly of the draft and just want to bring in an All-Star SF since Luol is as known an entity as they come.
2nd_city_saint787
Richard Jefferson would be a Keith Boogans type starter only a better shooter. He'll give you good D and hit a few big 3s. His 3 point percentage has been over 40% the last 3 years...He sounds like the kind of player everyone here wants, obviously not the ideal one, but he's a guy they can kick it out to when teams collapse on Derrick.

The Battier comparison was kinda out of left field, I was a lil tipsy last night. Basically I guess my thinking was hes a veteran SF role player who can hit a big 3, but looking at Shanes stats he hasn't exactly been a great 3 point shooter.

RJ would be serviceable for a year or 2 if he keeps up the high percentage from beyond the arc, and if the 7 pick turns out to be good then it was a good trade.
Quinarvy
QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 24 2012, 12:42 PM) *
Richard Jefferson would be a Keith Boogans type starter only a better shooter. He'll give you good D and hit a few big 3s. His 3 point percentage has been over 40% the last 3 years...He sounds like the kind of player everyone here wants, obviously not the ideal one, but he's a guy they can kick it out to when teams collapse on Derrick.

The Battier comparison was kinda out of left field, I was a lil tipsy last night. Basically I guess my thinking was hes a veteran SF role player who can hit a big 3, but looking at Shanes stats he hasn't exactly been a great 3 point shooter.

RJ would be serviceable for a year or 2 if he keeps up the high percentage from beyond the arc, and if the 7 pick turns out to be good then it was a good trade.

Jefferon is not a good defender.

And Bogans sucks.

Most Bulls fans want guys who can create their own shot to take pressure off of Rose.

I'll take the 5 + Garcia for Deng because than we also get the MLE back and Garcia would be gone next year. Jefferson will cost us over $20M total, while Garcia will be around $6M. Then we also get Barnes. We won't get Barnes in a deal with GS.

Balta1701-B
QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 24 2012, 01:07 PM) *
The more I think about it, the more I think we'll do a deal with Sacramento.

From their end though, I have to wonder how eager a struggling team like that is to give up a high draft pick. I suppose they may not think highly of the draft and just want to bring in an All-Star SF since Luol is as known an entity as they come.

Sacto would make sense but the guy they might be willing to part with...Evans...I'm not sure if the Bulls would be confident enough to want him.
Jake
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jun 24 2012, 01:51 PM) *
Sacto would make sense but the guy they might be willing to part with...Evans...I'm not sure if the Bulls would be confident enough to want him.

I'm thinking more along the lines of getting a Garcia back just so we don't have to part with anything else.
2nd_city_saint787
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jun 24 2012, 12:51 PM) *

He'd certainly make me happy lol.

He can play the point while Derricks out then move to SG or even SF once Rose comes back.

If he doesn't work out let him go next year, amnesty booze and pick up one of the good FA SGs.

Of course they cant amnesty boozer if Taj goes in the trade so that changes things...If you can pull the deal off without Taj then you do it all day.
Jake
QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 24 2012, 02:18 PM) *
He'd certainly make me happy lol.

He can play the point while Derricks out then move to SG or even SF once Rose comes back.

If he doesn't work out let him go next year, amnesty booze and pick up one of the good FA SGs.

I don't want to trade the Charlotte pick to get him.
2nd_city_saint787
QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 24 2012, 01:22 PM) *
I don't want to trade the Charlotte pick to get him.

Understandable, but what are the odds that pick is gonna be better than Tyreke Evans who should be in his prime by the time we get that pick.

I'd be happy with either deal. The Evans deal makes us better this coming up year, the Garcia deal makes better the following year as I'm sure one of Harden, Ellis, or Martin will become FA.

If Evans is the guy can we resign him without the amnesty of Boozer?? Meaning is a Rose-Evans-Barnes-Boozer-Noah possible while still holding onto Taj, Omer, Butler, #29, and a vet on the bench??

We still don't know what kind of starter Taj will be and I think Boozer will still be a better offensive option.

Wait till Mirotic comes over to give Boozer the boot.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 24 2012, 04:26 PM) *
Understandable, but what are the odds that pick is gonna be better than Tyreke Evans who should be in his prime by the time we get that pick.

I'd be happy with either deal. The Evans deal makes us better this coming up year, the Garcia deal makes better the following year as I'm sure one of Harden, Ellis, or Martin will become FA.

If Evans is the guy can we resign him without the amnesty of Boozer?? Meaning is a Rose-Evans-Barnes-Boozer-Noah possible while still holding onto Taj, Omer, Butler, #29, and a vet on the bench??

We still don't know what kind of starter Taj will be and I think Boozer will still be a better offensive option.

Wait till Mirotic comes over to give Boozer the boot.

You can always resign your own guys...the question is whether you want to pay the luxury tax to do it.
Balta1701-B
The Bulls want to give Omer Asik and Taj Gibson new deals, so they’re exploring ways to trade Luol Deng and/or Joakim Noah to teams that can send them a trade exception and a No. 1 pick.
NY Daily News
2nd_city_saint787
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jun 24 2012, 02:37 PM) *
You can always resign your own guys...the question is whether you want to pay the luxury tax to do it.

I don't know what Reinsdorf is working with financially but I would do it if he has the money to.

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jun 24 2012, 02:38 PM) *

trade exception=expiring contract?

That sounds like Deng for Garcia and #5.
Jake
I'm holding on to that draft pick over Tyreke Evans. I don't think he fits that well with this club based on previous discussion. He would be a nice stop gap for this season, but I don't know that you're going to get much value from him once the high volume shooter Derrick returns. Maybe.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 24 2012, 04:45 PM) *
I don't know what Reinsdorf is working with financially but I would do it if he has the money to.

JR absolutely havs the money to go over the luxury tax line, but if you go over that line, it costs you like $10 million+ per season, so it's a major profitability hit.
2nd_city_saint787
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jun 24 2012, 03:00 PM) *
JR absolutely havs the money to go over the luxury tax line, but if you go over that line, it costs you like $10 million+ per season, so it's a major profitability hit.

Oh wow, didn't know it was going to be that big of a hit...

I think Evans turns into a real good player, kids only 22 years old and he's still working with the "shot doc" all offseason apparently...

Here's a link to this shot doc guy There's a video of him working with Evans on the front page.

http://keithshotdocveney.com/index.php/tra...oc/pro-training

He's worked with Dirk, Peirce, Caron Butler, and Ben Gordon amung others..
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 24 2012, 05:19 PM) *
Oh wow, didn't know it was going to be that big of a hit...

If you go over the Luxury tax line, the first season you pay something like $1.5 for every dollar over the line, then it gets harsher with time, becomes $2 the next year, somemthing like that.

So if you go over the luxury tax line by $2 million you take a $1-2 million hit. If you go over by $5 million, pretty quickly it's a $5 million hit. The Heat are over the tax line by like $7 million right now.

The other part though...if you're over the tax line, you also lose revenue from the other teams over the tax. If you're over the tax line, you pay money out, you do not receive money, and so the penalty for going $1 over the luxury tax line is close to $4 million.
Balta1701-B
Link
"I believe there is always to some extent truth behind rumors," Deng said. "But as an athlete, if you get caught up in them, you are really wasting your time because it's not something you can control.

"If it's not true, a GM could always come out and say it's not true. But if a GM doesn't come out and say it, there are probably talks. And there should be. If I was a GM I would be shopping players around, too. I've got to show that I'm doing something.

"A lot of GMs don't just sit there, they're trying their options. Me, I always say there are two things when trades happen -- if I was to be let go by a team and nobody picks me up, that's probably the worst thing. But whenever you hear your name in a trade, that means there is somebody at the other end who wants you.

"As much as I want to stay on the team -- I love Chicago, I love the Bulls -- at the same time, I know the business part of it. Sooner or later, all the rumors are going to come up."

The apparent unease between the team and Deng stems from the end of the Bulls' season when, following their first-round playoff exit to the Philadelphia 76ers, Deng insisted he would not alter his long-held plans to represent Britain, the country that granted his family political asylum from the Sudan, in the Olympics.

Deng, who was raised from the age of 10 in London, had been carrying a wrist ligament injury for much of the season, yet still led the league in minutes with 39.4 per game.

However, Bulls management told Deng it would have preferred him to miss the Olympics -- the first in which Britain will enter a basketball team since 1948 -- in order to undergo surgery that would ensure his health for the start of the 2012-13 NBA season.

In a tense exit interview before Deng left Chicago, he told Bulls management that he would not entertain the prospect of missing out on the Games and presented an argument that he might not, in any case, require surgery before the start of the season.

Deng, though, does not believe the Bulls have acted in response to his stance.

"I don't think so," he said. "Me and (coach Tom Thibodeau) have a very close relationship. I spoke to (GM) Gar (Forman), I spoke to (VP of basketball operations John) Paxson, and it's one of those things you don't want to bring up.

"He's doing his job. As much as I'm playing basketball, working out, I'm doing my job. You just let it be. If it's going on, it's going on. At the end of the day there are no hard feelings and I'm not a 21-year-old kid who will get upset by it. I understand the game.

"I wouldn't want me to play (in the Olympics) either. Pax is an athlete and, as an athlete who used to play, Pax understands me wanting to play. But as a GM that's his job to try and get the team healthy and get the team ready for next year. I understand both sides to it.

"But it comes down to an injury that happened at the wrong time. I just try to let people know I'm going to be OK."
Jake
Sounds like the same response Matt Thornton gave. No sour grapes, but it is what it is. Luol is a good guy.
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jun 24 2012, 04:47 PM) *
If you go over the Luxury tax line, the first season you pay something like $1.5 for every dollar over the line, then it gets harsher with time, becomes $2 the next year, somemthing like that.

So if you go over the luxury tax line by $2 million you take a $1-2 million hit. If you go over by $5 million, pretty quickly it's a $5 million hit. The Heat are over the tax line by like $7 million right now.

The other part though...if you're over the tax line, you also lose revenue from the other teams over the tax. If you're over the tax line, you pay money out, you do not receive money, and so the penalty for going $1 over the luxury tax line is close to $4 million.

That's not exactly how it works. Here's a link to the full table of the rates:

Luxury Tax FAQ

Two things to note:

1) The increased rates don't take effect until 2013/2014.

2) The real killer is if you're a repeat offender. However, that can't hurt you until 2014/2015 at the earliest, and that's only if you were a tax-payer the first 3 years of the CBA (unless hoopshype is lieing to me, the Bulls were just under it this year).

Your last part doesn't really make any sense since teams like the Bulls, Knicks and Lakers wouldn't be terribly likely to get luxury tax money anyways.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 24 2012, 07:17 PM) *
That's not exactly how it works. Here's a link to the full table of the rates:

Luxury Tax FAQ

Two things to note:

1) The increased rates don't take effect until 2013/2014.

2) The real killer is if you're a repeat offender. However, that can't hurt you until 2014/2015 at the earliest, and that's only if you were a tax-payer the first 3 years of the CBA (unless hoopshype is lieing to me, the Bulls were just under it this year).

Your last part doesn't really make any sense since teams like the Bulls, Knicks and Lakers wouldn't be terribly likely to get luxury tax money anyways.

Here's the clause on redistribution from that link:
Up to 50% of the tax money may be given to non-taxpaying teams. Note that there is no requirement that any of the tax money be distributed to teams in this manner.
Any tax money not distributed to teams will be used for "league purposes." In other words, at least 50% of the tax revenue will be used for league purposes each season.

"League purposes" essentially means for any purpose the league decides, including distributing the money back to teams. The league decided that in 2011-12, 100% of the tax revenue will be used as a funding source for the league's revenue sharing program (see question number 24). Starting in 2012-13, 50% of the tax revenue will be used as a funding source for the revenue sharing program, and the remaining 50% will be distributed to non-taxpaying teams in equal shares.

To understand the consequence of crossing the tax line, consider a team just below the tax line that suffers injuries and needs to sign a replacement player. This team would pay the player's salary, pay tax on the amount by which they are now above the tax line, and forfeit any tax distribution they otherwise may have received.
The Bulls haven't been over the Tax line since Jordan, so the Bulls have been a "non-taxpaying team" since then. The Bulls get about $3-$4 million/year in payout from the luxury tax paying teams. If the Bulls cross that line, they lose that money.
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jun 24 2012, 06:20 PM) *
Here's the clause on redistribution from that link:
The Bulls haven't been over the Tax line since Jordan, so the Bulls have been a "non-taxpaying team" since then. The Bulls get about $3-$4 million/year in payout from the luxury tax paying teams. If the Bulls cross that line, they lose that money.

You needed to go down a little further. I'll quote the important ones:

•Teams in markets with more than 2.5 million TV households cannot receive a revenue sharing payment. Teams in markets with 2 million to 2.5 million TV households receive a percentage of a full payment (for example, a team with 2.25 million TV households receives a 50% payment). A team with fewer than 2 million TV households receives a full payment.

•If a team is profitable without revenue sharing, it receives a smaller or zero payment. Any payments from revenue sharing that would lead a team to have a profit over $10 million are eliminated.

Jake
I've heard mention of Deng trades to Golden State and another team (don't recall off the top of my head)...what players would be involved there?
2nd_city_saint787
Without knowing the other team itd obviously be impossible to tell...As I posted before the Deng to GSW trade I saw would be us getting back Jefferson or Biedrins and the 7...maybe they take CJ too and give us their late 2nd rounder as well, theres not any PGs that are gonna be there at 29 that arent a reach
Quinarvy
Let me revise my ridiculous trade early, to slightly less ridiculous.

With Deron eyeing Dallas, they might want to clear cap space.

Korver + Brewer (non-guaranteed contracts) + 2nd Rounder for Marion + 17
Deng for Garcia + 5

Draft Barnes and Ross

PG: Watson - FA - Rose
SG: Hamilton - Ross - Garcia
SF: Marion - Barnes - Butler
PF: Boozer - Taj
C : Noah - Asik

Then you can explore moving Rip and Marion if the Bulls aren't contending, if not, keep them for Roses return. Ross and Barnes watch and learn from Rip and Marion while Butler provides D. Garcia is there for occasional shooting/expiring.
Jake
QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 24 2012, 11:06 PM) *
Let me revise my ridiculous trade early, to slightly less ridiculous.

With Deron eyeing Dallas, they might want to clear cap space.

Korver + Brewer (non-guaranteed contracts) + 2nd Rounder for Marion + 17
Deng for Garcia + 5

Draft Barnes and Ross

PG: Watson - FA - Rose
SG: Hamilton - Ross - Garcia
SF: Marion - Barnes - Butler
PF: Boozer - Taj
C : Noah - Asik

Then you can explore moving Rip and Marion if the Bulls aren't contending, if not, keep them for Roses return. Ross and Barnes watch and learn from Rip and Marion while Butler provides D. Garcia is there for occasional shooting/expiring.

Moved to the offseason rumor thread

I think both are plausible deals, which means they won't happen. lol. Does Marion have anything left in the tank?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.