Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Miami Heat Offseason
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > NBA Talk
Jake
Heard some discussion on this front today on ESPN.

I think the Big 3 is safe now...but I'd say no one else's job is ever safe.

Who has contracts expiring? Is Mike Miller still a possible amnesty player after his Finals performance?

I'm sure they'd like to get an aggressive, defensive oriented big man a la Tyson Chandler. What is going to be available on the open market for that, anybody?
Quinarvy
They'll probably draft someone like Fab Melo.
Balta1701-B
The Miami Heat currently have $78 million committed next year. That will be well over the luxury tax limit.

Mike Miller is getting paid $5.8 million. If the Heat were to amnesthitize him, it would save them $5.8 million plus the luxury tax amount, but that would be unlikely to move them below the luxury tax level. Thus, the only benefit to using their amnesty on anyone on their roster is luxury tax savings.

The Heat will have the "mini mid level exemption" available. They will be able to offer a single player up to a 3 year, $9 million deal. That's the most they can offer to anyone this offseason, and unless they amnesty one of the big 3, they won't be able to get to the point where they get the full MLE. So, 3 years, $9 million is the max they can offer to anyone.
Jake
So the real question will be:

1. Will there be a useful player available to them late in the draft? Fab Melo may not be the worst pick.

2. Are they going to get some asshole veteran that takes a paycut to play alongside the Big 3?
Quinarvy
QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 24 2012, 12:08 PM) *
So the real question will be:

1. Will there be a useful player available to them late in the draft? Fab Melo may not be the worst pick.

2. Are they going to get some asshole veteran that takes a paycut to play alongside the Big 3?

Sadly, Fab Melo would fit perfectly for them. I'd trade Asik and the money he'll make for a pick to nab Melo because I feel he could could provide good D and offense. Not Asik levels of D, but that would be offset by the lack of offense.
Jake
QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 24 2012, 01:14 PM) *
Sadly, Fab Melo would fit perfectly for them. I'd trade Asik and the money he'll make for a pick to nab Melo because I feel he could could provide good D and offense. Not Asik levels of D, but that would be offset by the lack of offense.

I think you're overrating Melo, at least offensively he's pretty much worthless but the Heat probably don't care about that much. I'm not convinced he'll hold up against NBA bigs defensively, but he'll probably at least be roster-worthy. Better than that guy that got the 7 game suspension.
Jake
It is beyond me why Sportscenter is interrupting their own broadcast to give coverage of the Heat championship celebration...
Quinarvy
QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 24 2012, 02:46 PM) *
I think you're overrating Melo, at least offensively he's pretty much worthless but the Heat probably don't care about that much. I'm not convinced he'll hold up against NBA bigs defensively, but he'll probably at least be roster-worthy. Better than that guy that got the 7 game suspension.

Yeah, Pittman sucks.

But I think Melo will be a cheap, defensive big. While I don't see him anywhere close to Asik's level defensively, I think he'll have more than stones for hands.
madisonsmadhouse
I am hoping for an asteroid strike.
Jake
QUOTE (madisonsmadhouse @ Jun 26 2012, 08:18 AM) *
I am hoping for an asteroid strike.

Their championship float didn't crash, so I'm going to have to piggyback on this.
madisonsmadhouse
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.