Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hinrich commits to Bulls
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
WHarris1
The Bulls are expected to pursue Kirk Hinrich.

That's just a really embarrassing awful atrocious move no matter how you look at it. This guy has regressed horribly as a basketball player and really doesn't contribute much of anything on the floor. If you are bringing in a veteran ahead of Teague at least let it be someone who can f'ing contribute.
Jake
When did Kirk Hinrich start sucking? I'll admit I haven't seen much of him lately, but when he left the Bulls he was a very legit player. Certainly worth MLE money at the time.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 29 2012, 03:26 PM) *
When did Kirk Hinrich start sucking? I'll admit I haven't seen much of him lately, but when he left the Bulls he was a very legit player. Certainly worth MLE money at the time.

Technically it was that 2008-2009 season that had me wanting a PG in the draft...and then we hit the #1 pick. He was ok with washington and has been both performing worse and getting hurt more since being traded to Atlanta.

Quinarvy
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jun 29 2012, 02:43 PM) *
Technically it was that 2008-2009 season that had me wanting a PG in the draft...and then we hit the #1 pick. He was ok with washington and has been both performing worse and getting hurt more since being traded to Atlanta.

I still think he can be a good PG teacher.
2nd_city_saint787
QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 29 2012, 03:00 PM) *
I still think he can be a good PG teacher.

If we're going for a "teacher" Kidd and Nash are much better options.

I do kinda like the fact that Kirk "taught" the other Teague, though I'm not sure it really matters.
Quinarvy
QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 29 2012, 03:08 PM) *
If we're going for a "teacher" Kidd and Nash are much better options.

I do kinda like the fact that Kirk "taught" the other Teague, though I'm not sure it really matters.

Kidd and Nash are more expensive teachers.
2nd_city_saint787
QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 29 2012, 03:14 PM) *
Kidd and Nash are more expensive teachers.

I've been under the impression that the Bulls only have the MLE to offer?? If they gave Kirk 1/2 or whatever would they still be able to grab a serviceable SG as well?? If all they can afford is one MLE player I'd grab Kidd or Nash, not only will they help Teague but they'd help Rose more as well.

If they can sign both Kirk and take a chance on Roy I'm all for it...If they can only sign one player give me one of the future HoFers
dasox24
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jun 29 2012, 03:43 PM) *

Yeah, Hinrich has been pretty bad in Atlanta. I've seen him play a few times (the rare times he's healthy) and he just didn't look the same. He has fallen way off since that one really good year he had for us ('06-'07).
Jake
I never regarded Kirk as an excellent PG, but at one point he was a pretty damn good defender at the 2 and can handle the ball a bit and will hit the open shot. Judging by the comments about the injuries, he's probably lost a step on defense too then.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 29 2012, 04:21 PM) *
I've been under the impression that the Bulls only have the MLE to offer?? If they gave Kirk 1/2 or whatever would they still be able to grab a serviceable SG as well?? If all they can afford is one MLE player I'd grab Kidd or Nash, not only will they help Teague but they'd help Rose more as well.

If they can sign both Kirk and take a chance on Roy I'm all for it...If they can only sign one player give me one of the future HoFers

The Bulls can offer up to the full mid-level exemption this year since they are under the tax level. That gives them $5 million to spend on free agents.

The Bulls can also match any offer Asik receives without it counting against that number.

Then there are various other minimum contract/veterans exemptions thrown in the Bulls could use as well.

However, the Bulls are already dangerously close to the luxury tax. Add in their draft pick, keeping Asik, signing anyone, and picking up CJ's option, would almost certainly put them far over it, in what is likely a lost season.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
Kirk can't play anymore. His PER numbers have dropped off steadily over the past few seasons and he no longer is the defender he once was. He doesn't really even run an offense anymore. In Atlanta, his role had been diminished to making a pass and then standing in the corner while Joe Johnson and Jeff Teague do their thing. I would rather pick up CJ's option for one year than sign Kirk for less. He's no good. Hell, I'd rather have Jason Kidd for a year than Kirk.
Steve9347
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Jun 29 2012, 05:14 PM) *
Kirk can't play anymore. His PER numbers have dropped off steadily over the past few seasons and he no longer is the defender he once was. He doesn't really even run an offense anymore. In Atlanta, his role had been diminished to making a pass and then standing in the corner while Joe Johnson and Jeff Teague do their thing. I would rather pick up CJ's option for one year than sign Kirk for less. He's no good. Hell, I'd rather have Jason Kidd for a year than Kirk.

He's also been injured, which hasn't helped anything. Honestly, I'd like Kirk more at a low salary than I did at a high one.

One thing for certain, I'd rather a wet sock play point for us than the corpse of Jason Kidd.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 29 2012, 08:50 PM) *
He's also been injured, which hasn't helped anything. Honestly, I'd like Kirk more at a low salary than I did at a high one.

One thing for certain, I'd rather a wet sock play point for us than the corpse of Jason Kidd.

Meh.. Both are pretty crappy options if you ask me. At least Kidd knows how to run an offense and can get people in the right places, if that counts for anything.
2nd_city_saint787
Gimme Aaron Brooks PLZ
madisonsmadhouse
K.C Johnson ‏@KCJHoop
Bulls' talks with Hinrich have focused on vet's minimum of $1.2 million or slightly higher. With 8 teams in mix, doubt that gets it done.

dasox24
QUOTE (madisonsmadhouse @ Jul 2 2012, 10:48 AM) *
K.C Johnson ‏@KCJHoop
Bulls' talks with Hinrich have focused on vet's minimum of $1.2 million or slightly higher. With 8 teams in mix, doubt that gets it done.

Yeah, doesn't look like he'll end up coming back here, which is more than okay with me. I always liked Kirk, but I don't want him back.
WHarris1
Please please please don't let it be enough to get a deal done.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 2 2012, 12:27 PM) *
Please please please don't let it be enough to get a deal done.

lol, my thoughts exactly.
2nd_city_saint787
How much you guys think Aaron Brooks will get coming back from China?? I want a PG that will make up for some of the scoring we lose in Derrick.
Jake
I would certainly take Kirk at vet's minimum. I have a feeling he won't be doing us any favors since we traded him away for nothing to get LeBron James
Balta1701-B
Hinrich has a $4 million offer from the Bucs.
Quinarvy
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jul 7 2012, 01:48 PM) *

Took me a minute to realize "Bucs" wasn't the Pirates or Buccaneers.

Don't know how I feel about this.
Jake
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jul 7 2012, 12:48 PM) *

That's a nice look at what's going on and it makes perfect sense for us to wait because as Aggrey said, someone is going to have to take vet's minimum to get a job next year. Some of those players will be decent players.
Balta1701-B
Hinrich to the Bulls official, 2 years, $6 million.
eddog2
Anyone know if the 2nd year is a team option? From the articles I read I didn't see any mention of it. The way the Bulls contracts are structured they could clear up a lot of cap space by using the amnesty on Boozer, not exercising Rips deal, hopefully not exercising Kirks option if they have one. Then they should have enough to hopefully add a very good free agent and sign Gibson to an extension.

Either way, in 2 years, Deng's contract will be expiring so hopefully we can either package him or sign him again for much less. Then we add in Mirotic and the 1st rounder from Charlotte (which hopefully will be a top 5 pick) and get one of the top tier free agents and we should be in prime position to end the Heats 4 peat aspirations.
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (eddog2 @ Jul 8 2012, 12:52 PM) *
Anyone know if the 2nd year is a team option? From the articles I read I didn't see any mention of it. The way the Bulls contracts are structured they could clear up a lot of cap space by using the amnesty on Boozer, not exercising Rips deal, hopefully not exercising Kirks option if they have one. Then they should have enough to hopefully add a very good free agent and sign Gibson to an extension.

Either way, in 2 years, Deng's contract will be expiring so hopefully we can either package him or sign him again for much less. Then we add in Mirotic and the 1st rounder from Charlotte (which hopefully will be a top 5 pick) and get one of the top tier free agents and we should be in prime position to end the Heats 4 peat aspirations.

Charlotte's pick is protected until the 2016 draft, so if they get it before then it'd be outside the top-8. Mirotic could also be tricky given his salary in Europe (he'd probably be taking a pay cut in the NBA), though it's always hard to say with that.

They're wording it like it's a 2-year deal for Kirk. He's pretty much a necessary evil this year with Rose hurt, next year he doesn't fit as well. I really hope he isn't their answer at the 2. I'm not really a fan of using their two main assets this off-season (1st rounder and mini-MLE) to add PG's, not when there's a huge hole at SG and they're losing all their depth on the wing. He made a lot more sense at the veteran minimum.
Balta1701-B
johnhollinger John Hollinger
Bulls apparently using taxpayer MLE on Hinrich, via @KCJHoop report, which is sign they likely keep Korver and may even match Asik.
Quinarvy
Based off this move, I feel like the Bulls are going to try and keep the band together (minus Brewer and Watson) and try to defeat the Heat's Big #
Jake
I know I'm against the grain here, but I like the move. Kirk is getting no love around here but I think we'll wind up liking him once again on this team. He adds depth at PG but also SG. Not an ideal 2, but he can guard non-huge 2's and will at least knock down an open shot and move the ball around at that position.

The money isn't too much, but I'm curious - do we still have the "regular" MLE? Or does using the taxpayer one mean that we plan to pay taxes?

Any chance Gerald Green comes in at vet's minimum?
Quinarvy
QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 8 2012, 05:15 PM) *
I know I'm against the grain here, but I like the move. Kirk is getting no love around here but I think we'll wind up liking him once again on this team. He adds depth at PG but also SG. Not an ideal 2, but he can guard non-huge 2's and will at least knock down an open shot and move the ball around at that position.

The money isn't too much, but I'm curious - do we still have the "regular" MLE? Or does using the taxpayer one mean that we plan to pay taxes?

I agree...I like this move.

If we can get Gerald Green at the minimum, all of the sudden I like what we'll have, though the team will be a bit busy.

PG: [Rose]/Hinrich/Teague
SG: Hamilton/Korver/Green
SF: Deng/Butler/Green
PF: Boozer/Gibson/Deng
C : Noah/Asik/Gibson

I was a huge proponent of retooling, but if that roster can hold down the fort until Rose gets back, they might have a punchers chance. They'll need to jettison Asik next year though.
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 8 2012, 05:15 PM) *

No, tax teams do not get the full MLE. They just blew their wad on Kirk, everyone else has to be vet minimum.

I'd love to get Green for that. However, if I were running a shitty team, I'd certainly take a shot at him for a couple mil.
rockren
QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 8 2012, 06:03 PM) *
I agree...I like this move.

If we can get Gerald Green at the minimum, all of the sudden I like what we'll have, though the team will be a bit busy.

PG: [Rose]/Hinrich/Teague
SG: Hamilton/Korver/Green
SF: Deng/Butler/Green
PF: Boozer/Gibson/Deng
C : Noah/Asik/Gibson

I was a huge proponent of retooling, but if that roster can hold down the fort until Rose gets back, they might have a punchers chance. They'll need to jettison Asik next year though.

Kirk has gotten a ton of hate on this board and I understand why.

However he hasn't been healthy the past year and that was a big reason why we saw decline. However, they would have paid Watson more next year if they had exercised his option then they'll pay Kirk.....sounds great to me.
Jake
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 8 2012, 06:16 PM) *
No, tax teams do not get the full MLE. They just blew their wad on Kirk, everyone else has to be vet minimum.

I'd love to get Green for that. However, if I were running a shitty team, I'd certainly take a shot at him for a couple mil.

Maybe we can use the "you'll play for a winner" argument
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 8 2012, 08:16 PM) *

But the Bulls are still under the tax line, right? at least until they match on Asik?
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (rockren @ Jul 8 2012, 08:20 PM) *
Kirk has gotten a ton of hate on this board and I understand why.

However he hasn't been healthy the past year and that was a big reason why we saw decline. However, they would have paid Watson more next year if they had exercised his option then they'll pay Kirk.....sounds great to me.

If Kirk could stay healthy and get back to where he was in 2009, this is a solid, competitive move for the Bulls that makes the team stronger on defense and offense. It works best, of cours,e if Rose is still there, because Hinrich can be an extra ball handler and can make a mid-range jumper, providing floor spacing without really sacrificing anything on defense. Without Rose...meh, we're a 7 seed either way.
madisonsmadhouse
Meh. This is like a back up catcher argument. Kirk helps the team, as he is a way better defender, and that is about all you can ask from him.
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jul 9 2012, 08:18 AM) *
But the Bulls are still under the tax line, right? at least until they match on Asik?

We really can't tell until they make final decisions on some of these role players.

However, I'm working under the assumption that they will be a tax team. Rose, Noah, Deng, Boozer and Hamilton is already like $60 mil. Kirk, Taj, Butler and Teague are another $7 mil. I don't know the exact tax line, but I think it's somewhere between $70 and 75 million, and they need at least 4 more players, two of which probably need to actually get minutes (another big and another wing).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.