Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: KC: Bulls ready to dismantle bench mob
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Balta1701-B
The deadline for Bulls options on Ronnie Brewer's $4.37 million and C.J. Watson's $3.2 million salaries has arrived. A decision on Kyle Korver's $5 million option is due by Sunday.

In the wake of Kirk Hinrich's signing, Watson's camp already has been told his option won't be picked up. Brewer long has been considered the most expendable of the three because Jimmy Butler, last year's first-round pick, will assume his role.

Because of his shooting specialty, Korver has a slim chance to return and hasn't been told definitively either way. Sources said the Bulls are exploring sign-and-trade possibilities for all three players in an attempt to avoid losing assets for nothing.

One intriguing option would be swingman C.J. Miles, an unrestricted free agent who has started for the Jazz and could add athleticism.

Once Hinrich is signed, the Bulls will have roughly $67.3 million of committed salaries for nine players next season. The projected luxury tax line is $70.3 million, which the Bulls are almost certain to exceed for the first time in franchise history.

The Big 'O': Omer Asik is poised to sign his three-year offer sheet Wednesday with the Rockets, the value of which will be determined once the league's audit is finished Tuesday and salary cap figures are established. It will be worth between $24 million and $25 million, with a "poison pill" third year of up to $14.9 million.
This season is set up to suck.
madisonsmadhouse
Ugh, why half ass the rebuild in a lost year?
GreatScott82
QUOTE (madisonsmadhouse @ Jul 10 2012, 08:00 AM) *
Ugh, why half ass the rebuild in a lost year?

Ugh... what is the bench going to look like next year? No Asik, Watson, Brewer and possibly Korver? If only we could disperse the money from Boozers deal to those guys and just cut Boozer this year. Taj Gibson is WAY better.
Quinarvy
If you keep Taj and Korver, the Bench Mob will be fine.

I'd love to keep Asik, but dear lord I still hope they don't match. They need a center though.

Teague - Korver - Butler - Gibson - Defensive Center (could still be Asik) will be just fine as Bench Mob Pt. 2
Jake
QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 10 2012, 08:55 AM) *
If you keep Taj and Korver, the Bench Mob will be fine.

I'd love to keep Asik, but dear lord I still hope they don't match. They need a center though.

Teague - Korver - Butler - Gibson - Defensive Center (could still be Asik) will be just fine as Bench Mob Pt. 2

I agree. Omer is nice, but I'm not convinced that with some smart scouting you can't get a similar player for veteran's minimum (or even NDFA, someone else's 2nd rounder, etc)

When Derrick returns, you're adding Kirk Hinrich to that group as well. That's a nice addition. I don't really think the group weakens provided we get a serviceable center at 2. If you add a Gerald Green or perhaps some of the other intriguing guys that may fall for vet's minimum, I'd say it may even improve.
ZoomSlowik
Realistically, Taj is the only guy that would be extremely hard to replace from their current bench corp. They do need at least two more bodies IMO though: another center (probably someone in the Joel Anthony mold) and another wing player that can hit a 3 now and then and eat minutes when Rip eventually gets hurt.
Balta1701-B
Bulls have officially informed Brewer that his option will not be picked up.
Quinarvy
Well, CJ and Brewer are gone.

But we have Teague and Butler on rookie deals.

Teague - FA/Korver - Butler - Gibson - FA/Asik is a decent bench mob.

If we can get Green and get a defensive big, I think it'd be fine, and much more athletic. A Teague-Green-Gibson fastbreak would be fun to watch.
GreatScott82
They said on the radio this morning that although they will not take Brewers option, they still may offer him a cheaper deal. (Lets see if he will accept that or not) I am assuming he will not. They also said they are working hard on dealing Korver. If they can do this, they may have enough money on matching Asik. Rumor has it, Thibs REALLY wants to keep Asik more than anyone else.
Quinarvy
QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 11 2012, 08:39 AM) *
They said on the radio this morning that although they will not take Brewers option, they still may offer him a cheaper deal. (Lets see if he will accept that or not) I am assuming he will not. They also said they are working hard on dealing Korver. If they can do this, they may have enough money on matching Asik. Rumor has it, Thibs REALLY wants to keep Asik more than anyone else.

Brewer said he'd test the market first, but may come back if not much is out there.

If this is the roster coming in to the year:

PG - Hinrich/Teague/[Rose]
SG - Hamilton/Korver/Brewer
SF - Deng/Brewer/Butler
PF - Boozer/Gibson
C - Noah/Asik

It means the Bulls are going to go for it when Rose returns.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.