RIP to one of my all time favorites.

http://www.csnchicago.com/basketball-chica...tm_medium=email

MARK STROTMAN
csnchicago.png

Jim Durham, who worked play-by-play on radio and television for the Chicago Bulls for 18 seasons, passed away over the weekend. He was 65 years old.

Jerry Reinsdorf released a statement this afternoon on Durham's death.

“I was so sorry to learn this morning of Jim Durham’s untimely passing. Jim was the voice of the Bulls for 18 years and he was the best at calling a basketball game I ever heard. I loved the energy he brought to our broadcasts, the way he painted a word picture of what was happening on the court which made you feel like you were there, and his sense of humor.

"Most importantly, Jim was my friend and I will miss the conversations we had about the NBA, life in general, and his favorite baseball team… the Chicago White Sox. On behalf of the entire Chicago Bulls organization, my deepest condolences to Helen and his entire family. He will be greatly missed.”

Durham was awarded in 2011 the Curt Gowdy Media Award, presented each year at the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame to outstanding media journalists.

Durham was awarded Illinois Sportscaster of the Year in 1979, 1989 and 1990 while calling games for the Bulls, and won Chicago Emmy Awards in 1989 and 1991.

Durham, a Chicago native, was around for Michael Jordan's first seven NBA seasons, including the Bulls' first three NBA championships from 1991 to 1993. He also worked as the Chicago White Sox television play-by-play man from 1989 to 1990.

He joined ESPN in 1992, and had been the lead play-by-play commentator for NBA on ESPN Radio since January 1996, when the show first aired.

Perhaps Durham's most famous call was on ESPN Radio, when Michael Jordan took and made his last shot as a Chicago Bull in Game 6 of the 1998 NBA Finals. Durham also called Jordan's famous shot over Craig Ehlo in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference First Round.