Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SI: "Gordon staying put"
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
punkalexa
CHICAGO (AP) -- Ben Gordon made two things clear Wednesday: He wants to remain with the Chicago Bulls and does not expect to be traded.

"This is where I want to play for the rest of my career," Gordon said. "Hopefully, everything will work out that way."
The New York Post, citing unnamed sources, reported Monday that the Knicks and Bulls discussed a trade involving Gordon. But general manager John Paxson denied that in Tuesday's Chicago Sun-Times and Chicago Tribune, telling both papers it's a "fabrication."

"I have not spoken to that organization since last October, so the Post has printed something that is false," Paxson told the Sun-Times. "If the Knicks do plan on making an inquiry, they can save themselves a phone call because I'm not interested."

Paxson delivered a similar message to Gordon's agent.

"I was very happy with that," Gordon said after a news conference at "one sixtyblue" -- a restaurant near the United Center part-owned by Michael Jordan -- to launch his energy drink "BG7." "Paxson has told me numerous times throughout the season, and just recently, that they don't plan on trading me."

Led by a core of young perimeter players that includes Gordon, Kirk Hinrich, Luol Deng, Andres Nocioni and Chris Duhon, the Bulls won 12 of their final 14 regular-season games to finish at 41-41 and reach the playoffs for the second straight year. They pushed Miami before losing in six games in the first round. But it's no secret Chicago is looking for help inside.

The Bulls have the second best shot at landing the No. 1 selection in the draft with the pick they acquired from New York in the Eddy Curry trade in early October. They also have their own first-rounder. With about $15 million to $20 million in salary cap space, they could pursue a big man on the free-agent market.

If they take the trade route, Gordon would be one of their most attractive players.

His name circulated in rumors before the trade deadline. And the final buzzer of the Bulls' season had barely stopped when the report linking Gordon and the Knicks came out.

"When I heard it, it didn't really make much sense to me," said Gordon, who attended high school in Mount Vernon, N.Y. "But it's the NBA. You never know what'll happen."

The NBA's top sixth man and runner-up for Rookie of the Year in 2004-05, Gordon led the Bulls in scoring (16.9 points per game) and 3-point shooting (.435) this season while shuttling in and out of the starting lineup.

"I think every year my role is changing," Gordon said. "I'll be more of a focal point. ... I'll try to make that happen as best I can."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/bask...s.ap/index.html

bullssmilie1.jpg
SoxFan1
Pretty amazing that he was able to lead the team in scoring while not being consistently in the starting lineup. He truly is a great offensive threat. If only he was more consistent, he'd be in the starting lineup for good.
ChWRoCk2
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 17 2006, 09:54 PM)
Pretty amazing that he was able to lead the team in scoring while not being consistently in the starting lineup. He truly is a great offensive threat. If only he was more consistent, he'd be in the starting lineup for good.

Perhaps we should give him a shot at the point like in college.
JPargo
QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ May 17 2006, 08:48 PM)
Perhaps we should give him a shot at the point like in college.

We have. He just doesnt See the floor like hinrich does. GORDON NOT GORDAN
Bullies4Life
I would like to for Gordon to polish up his ball handleling skills as much as possible... once he does that... it will open up so many things for him... And hopefully he can be our back up point just like what Paxson invisioned when we drafted him
sport1016
I don't think Paxson invisioned drafting a back up point at the #3 spot.............

He showed in the playoffs that he will go to the rim and that alone gives him a good shot to start at sg

between deng, noc, and gordon who should be coming off the bench? What do people think?
punkalexa
QUOTE (JPargo @ May 17 2006, 09:31 PM)
We have. He just doesnt See the floor like hinrich does. GORDON NOT GORDAN

Yeah I know, but I was on the phone when I posted it that I mispelled it and I pressed something on the keyboard that I didn't even finish putting "trade." I'm not that dumb!
Bullies4Life
QUOTE (sport1016 @ May 18 2006, 12:00 PM)
I don't think Paxson invisioned drafting a back up point at the #3 spot.............

He showed in the playoffs that he will go to the rim and that alone gives him a good shot to start at sg

between deng, noc, and gordon who should be coming off the bench? What do people think?

Yes he did... i heard it on the radio biggrin.gif He said it himself on the score... He said he was a little bit dissapointed that ben hasnt polished up his handles which is why he doesnt play point... it just hasnt really worked out that well. (and if u remember, nobody really thought Duhon was gonna be this good when he was drafted, they were thinking of making him play in Europe i believe)

Right now, Bulls want a 3 guard rotation(like a lot of NBA teams)

-Ben, Kirk, and Duhon... yeah Pargo gets some minutes here and there... but we barely see him play.... Anways, I think Duhon is gonna be the odd man out here, and we will be getting a taller shooting guard for the future. (we need to)

Pax and Scott probably wants to keep the guard rotation short... not have 2 points, and 2 SGs. They prolly want to see Kirk in his natuaral position more(PG) instead of having him guard the SGs most of the time... And when the Bulls have a 3 guard rotation, Kirk, Gordon and the other player, (tall that can guard SGs) they will all get somewhere close to 30, or more, minutes each...

I like duhon, (maybe even one of the best back-up PGs, runs the team well, and plays D) but i think once his contract is out, he will be getting paid a lot more, because he seems like a guy that can start for other teams, and bulls wil end up losing him...
The Dude Abides
QUOTE (Bullies4Life @ May 17 2006, 10:14 PM)
I would like to for Gordon to polish up his ball handleling skills as much as possible... once he does that... it will open up so many things for him... And hopefully he can be our back up point just like what Paxson invisioned when we drafted him

I highly doubt he ever envisioned BG as the backup point. Gordon is a great scorer and will continue to evolve. He will be our starting sg next year and he's going to have a killer 3rd season.
Bullies4Life
QUOTE (The Dude Abides @ May 18 2006, 07:44 PM)
I highly doubt he ever envisioned BG as the backup point. Gordon is a great scorer and will continue to evolve. He will be our starting sg next year and he's going to have a killer 3rd season.

Read my other post.. it explains why.... and Sry if i didnt make it clear...

Paxson envisioned BG7 to be the back up point guard for when Kirk goes to the bench... Ben will take over the point guard duty when kirk sits down, and then have another tall guard come to the court and play shooting guard.... 3 man rotation....

-Bulls have a 3 man rotation... Ben, Kirk, and Duhon. Right now, we need Duhon to play Back up Point, because ben cant handle the ball that great yet..... So im thinking that when Ben learns how to handle the rock(hopefully he learns) , then we will get rid of Du... As of right now, the Bulls will need a four guard rotation. (Kirk, Du, Ben, and a tall guard)... but in the future, i think Scott will like to have his guard rotation short.

If ur still confused, let me know...

And like i said, Pax said it himself.... I will look for the clip if u still dont believe me, but i cant guarantee ill find it, cuz its like a month old....
The Dude Abides
QUOTE (Bullies4Life @ May 18 2006, 07:57 PM)
Read my other post.. it explains why....

Paxson wants BG7 to be the back up point guard for when Kirk goes to the bench... Ben will take over the point guard duty, and then have another tall guard come to the court and play shooting guard.... 3 man rotation.... If ur still confused, let me know...

wasnt confused to begin with. Apparently you are confused.

there is a backup pg named Chris Duhon.
sport1016
I am pretty sure the clip that you are referencing deals with a brief experiment early in ben's first year (maybe even preseason). Remember when he couldn't find the rim throughout the preseason and first twenty games or so of his rookie year? Well skiles didn't know where to put him in the rotation bc he was only taking jump shots and not hitting them. So somewhere during that time he put him in the rotation as the backup PG, but it didn't work bc he was a turnover machine.

Having said that, it would be nice if Gordon could play the point for stretches bc it gives him another position to get minutes at if they do get another guard for the rotation this off-season. He has made some pretty nifty passes in the lane and such over the years, but he makes too many bad decisions to "run" a team, even in stretches.
hammerhead johnson
QUOTE (Bullies4Life @ May 18 2006, 07:57 PM)
So im thinking that when Ben learns how to handle the rock(hopefully he learns)

This is a thread about Ben Gordon, so soxfan101 can't come in here and tell me that I'm turning it into a thread about our loveable midget SG. laugh.gif

Ben has been playing basketball out of the backcourt all of his life. He's had plenty of time to practice his dribbling. His ball-handling skills will never be respectable, although we can pray, I suppose.
hammerhead johnson
QUOTE (sport1016 @ May 18 2006, 09:06 PM)
but he makes too many bad decisions to "run" a team, even in stretches.

Yes. It takes a certain mentality and skill-set if you're gonna adapt to the PG slot, and good old Ben just doesn't have it in him, despite the fact that he has perfect PG size.
Bullies4Life
QUOTE (The Dude Abides @ May 18 2006, 08:12 PM)
wasnt confused to begin with. Apparently you are confused.

there is a backup pg named Chris Duhon.

Wow, just Wow...

okay... let me try and make this as simple as i can... cuz obviosly im not doing it...

- Pax said that when he drafted Ben, he envisoned, was hoping for, that he could be our back up point guard. Probably because he has a PG body??? I didnt envision anything...PAX DID... SAID IT HIMSELF what he thought when BG was drafted. THATS THE WHOLE POINT.... About a month ago, on the radio, he said he was dissapointed that it hasnt worked out that way.... Again, Im saying what PAX thought when he drafted BEN. Can I be wrong by letting people hear something that Pax said?? Please dont tell me im confused... when im not... And if you think i am, let me know as soon as possible about what YOU think I Am CONFUSED on.. thanks.

-This is common sense... we have 2 little guards named Ben and Kirk for our back-court.... right? I dunno if this sounds like a crazy idea or something, but im pretty sure Pax knew we would have to have a taller guard (not 3 small guards 'du, kirk, ben')to guard the long athletic guards... like T-Mac for example....

And again, we have a 3 guard rotation in du, kirk, and ben. WE need a good tall guard!! PAX said he would want an athletic SG, and WINGPLAYER.

-Again, Ben was drafted to be our shooting guard for the future, but Pax also envisioned him being able to play back up Point guard (when Kirk sits in the Bench, Ben can be moved to the point guard position, and have the tall guard play shooting guard.) Now lets say Ben gets in foul trouble or something.... the tall guard comes in and plays as the SG, while kirk still plays the PG position... Its call a 3 guard rotation.... AND if you guys have any questions about why Paxson envisioned this, ask him, not me... and tell him that he was confused or whatever you want to tell him....

Reasons why this hasnt happened(what Paxson was planning on):

-Gordon cant handle the rock, so duhon is needed.
-we dont have a good tall guard. (Pike? he's not very good)

Could this still happen in the future?

- Yes IF Gordon polishes up his handles... He might not be able to because of his guns, but i still think he can... First of all, he's already not that bad as many of u guys say he is.... But its still obvious that he could be a little bit better.... and yes i saw huge improvements on his handles this year.... In the beginning of the year, when players double teamed him, he would panic and hold the ball and look to pass... but at the end of the year, he improved a little bit more and didnt show as much panic as before....And how hard is it for someone to bring up the ball and pass it to some1... ben doesnt need to push the ball yet and start fast breaks... we just need him to bring up the ball, set up the offense and pass it to some1. And Ben right now is very capable of doing that. When he's dribbleling fast (starting a fast break)he gets in trouble. Also, ive seen guys like Jamal polish up his handles, and I even remember that Kirk didnt have "great " handles as of now. And plus were talking about a few minutes here and there, not playing point the whole game....

-we get our tall guard (pretty likely)

Therefore, When pax drafted Ben, he envisioned him being able to play back up point guard. And i apoligize for not making myself clear that this was Paxsons plan, not mine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.