Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ben Wallace News
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
bschmaranz
Take it for what it's worth... neither realgm nor Tim Legler have ever been a solid source. But Legler apparently said on espn radio that Wallace was "shopping the market" and Chicago was a desireable destination.

Link to the realgm thread
Chisoxfn
I would offer Big Ben a long term max deal. I realize he's older and would be older later on as well, but thats something the team could deal with a few years down the road.

I still have my doubts that he'd leave Detroit, considering they'd give them more money than anyone, but if Detroit didn't want to give Ben the years another team could enter the picture.

Ben Wallace would totally change our team. It would also mean I'd do whatever I could to dump Chandler for a shooting guard (even if its a highly paid one) and than draft Aldridge or Bagani and put them next to Ben.

With Ben Wallace our team >>>>>> than most teams in the league.
JPargo
Signing Ben would be a short term solution. If we do sign him, he would have to start scoring in the paint. i'd say a 3year deal would be about right
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (JPargo @ May 24 2006, 02:35 PM)
Signing Ben would be a short term solution. If we do sign him, he would have to start scoring in the paint. i'd say a 3year deal would be about right

Sure he'd have to start scoring, but he can actually finish, unlike Chandler, so that alone should give him a few more points. He would basically be a superior version of Chandler and allow the Bulls to move Chandler for a SG while we use our top pick for another big that we can develop along with Ben Wallace.

In time we'd obviously have to find another center, but I'd think Ben has at least 3 more years of playing legendary defense...after that who knows, but I'd give him a 5 year deal and worry about the final 2 years later on. You can always move guys, AD was moved numerous times despite being drastically overpaid.
The Gladiator
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 24 2006, 04:20 PM)
I would offer Big Ben a long term max deal. I realize he's older and would be older later on as well, but thats something the team could deal with a few years down the road.

I still have my doubts that he'd leave Detroit, considering they'd give them more money than anyone, but if Detroit didn't want to give Ben the years another team could enter the picture.

Ben Wallace would totally change our team. It would also mean I'd do whatever I could to dump Chandler for a shooting guard (even if its a highly paid one) and than draft Aldridge or Bagani and put them next to Ben.

I totally agree with you man.. Except for the Bargs part.
The Gladiator
QUOTE (JPargo @ May 24 2006, 04:35 PM)

Dude, Wallace didnt HAVE TO SCORE! They had 3 other ALLSTARS And one Future Allstar already in the Starting lineup. Wallace IMO will be intrigued by our deal (If we do offer him the max or whatever) because he will see a chance to step his game up even better because he knows we have no SCORING AT ALL in the Low Post and he will be more agressive with his shot and who knows? Maybe a 14 and 12 guy next year? Now BW is capable of scoring 14, I wouldnt bet on it but if he does what I think he can do if he comes here then he will look to shoot more.
sweetoothsweetney50
if we had Chandler and Wallace, we would erase every shot and get every rebound. However, it still doesnt solve our problem of scoring in the paint, which is why if we sign Wallace, we should draft a slasher like Roy or Gay who can get to the basket
Bullies4Ever
I would offer Big Ben a long term max deal.  I realize he's older and would be older later on as well, but thats something the team could deal with a few years down the road. 

Ben Wallace would totally change our team.  It would also mean I'd do whatever I could to dump Chandler for a shooting guard (even if its a highly paid one) and than draft Aldridge or Bagani and put them next to Ben. 

I agree... i think Detroit will still be his #1 choice in the offseason... why? well.. one of the reasons is b/c he has a good chance of winning another championship... another... its cuz Joe Dumars really gave him a chance... i mean.. Grant Hill for Ben Wallace.. turned out to be a steal for the pistons... and i always hear theyre are like family (him and his teamates) soo....

i hope im wrong though!.. it would be awesome if we got him....

heres a thing the bulls can do to mess up the pistons plan and future... the bulls can offer Ben Wallace a really high contract that will mess up the Pistons future and plans if they decide to match Ben wallace's contract... if they dont match wallaces contract the bulls can get him... but if detroit decides to match the high contract... then they might be in trouble to keep their nucleus together for the next couple of years.... and soon.. they will have to rebuild....

but the bulls have to be careful they dont offer Wallace a max deal that will hurt in their own future...
Bullies4Ever
QUOTE (The Gladiator @ May 24 2006, 05:06 PM)
I totally agree with you man.. Except for the Bargs part.

the Bargs part??.. dude.. it wouldnt be that bad... if we can get wallace in the offseason and if we got Bargs... they would compliment each other very well.... I wouldnt mind that offseason at all... Bargs might be a lil project in the beginning... but we can afford that risk because we would have Wallace and we would be force to be reckon with in the east...

and im sure Bargs can contribute too if Skiles uses him well.. (and he will... Skiles is a smart coach)

Bargs can spread the floor and that can leave wallace to hang around the paint...
Bullies4Ever

why trade chandler... when it would be great to have have 2 shotblockers in our team...

-what if we traded Chandler... and Ben wallace gets injured for 4 months.... yeah... the bulls would still be good right?

If we get another shot blocker in our team... our defense would be even better... we already score enough points (97 points) but we allowed 97.... we should concentrate on defense more and get the avr to be around 93 points... which is very realistic if we improve our front court and get more shotblockers...

-we can get a tall sg with our 16th pick or free agency...

-we need a better front court (lets not get rid of important peaces that will take us another step backwards :cough cough: removing chandler)

we need a better front court player than a tall SG...

-if ur still hating on chandler.. go and read the the tread "for all the chandler haters"
Bullies4Life
Well... heres some news for you guys... Some Piston fans dont care if they resign Wallace... they think he's starting to slloooooowwllyyyy decline... and if you look at his stats, they did fall from last year. I will take Ben, but i dont want to max on him.

The last thing i want to see is Chandler get traded if we get Wallace. I dont know why people are afraid of having 2 defensive players on he same team... WHATS WRONG WITH THAT?

A team can never have too many big bodies, period.

Ben Wallace+tyson Chandler= the door is locked to get to the paint.... Teams will have to settle for jumpshots for some long stretches.... And the thing about Wallce... he can finish down low(can dunk w/ one hand, can throw him an Alley-oop)

And how bout em offensive rebounds? That will make up somewhat the lack of offensive front court scoring. Extra opportunities.
Bullies4Ever
yep.. dont forget about Wallace and Chandler banging the boards together.... -scary....

we would have 2 great rebounders that can grab anything thats in the air..

opposing teams would have to worry about boxing out 2 good rebounders...
Bullies4Ever
QUOTE (The Gladiator @ May 24 2006, 05:09 PM)
Dude, Wallace didnt HAVE TO SCORE! They had 3 other ALLSTARS And one Future Allstar already in the Starting lineup. Wallace IMO will be intrigued by our deal (If we do offer him the max or whatever) because he will see a chance to step his game up even better because he knows we have no SCORING AT ALL in the Low Post and he will be more agressive with his shot and who knows? Maybe a 14 and 12 guy next year? Now BW is capable of scoring 14, I wouldnt bet on it but if he does what I think he can do if he comes here then he will look to shoot more.

theres no way Wallace avrgs 14 points if he comes to the bulls...

He wouldnt even avr more points with the bulls than he does with the pistons.

Warning: think twice b4 u respond to this. Thank you

bringit.gif
SoxFan1
Please, don't tease me with this. I don't feel like creaming on myself.
The Gladiator
QUOTE (Bullies4Ever @ May 24 2006, 07:52 PM)
theres no way Wallace avrgs 14 points if he comes to the bulls...

He wouldnt even avr more points with the bulls than he does with the pistons.

Warning: think twice b4 u respond to this. Thank you

bringit.gif

When theres a will theres a way!! I wouldnt be suprised at all if he does that. Its not like he has NO offensive game, he just never shoots because he has Allstar players surrounding him. If he would know that he is THE Guy, I could see him avg double digits in a year.
BuLLzDoMaIn
i wouldnt mind seeing Big Ben with the bulls. Just dont give him a long term deal. Or a max.

He could help out sooo much. Also the bulls already are a good Defending team. Tyson will fit great with wallace IMO.
ChWRoCk2
I dont think we would sign him, if Detroit was smart they would do a sign and trade, and we would give one of our number picks and PTBNL.

This would make alot more sense for Detroit. They could then draft a replacement for him. Personally I think Detroit fans would love Morrisons play.
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (Bullies4Ever @ May 24 2006, 05:11 PM)
the Bargs part??.. dude.. it wouldnt be that bad... if we can get wallace in the offseason and if we got Bargs... they would compliment each other very well.... I wouldnt mind that offseason at all... Bargs might be a lil project in the beginning... but we can afford that risk because we would have Wallace and we would be force to be reckon with in the east...

and im sure Bargs can contribute too if Skiles uses him well.. (and he will... Skiles is a smart coach)

Bargs can spread the floor and that can leave wallace to hang around the paint...

Plus I figure with Wallace around it allows us to slack on defense with our other big (even if it means playing an undersized guy like Noc at the 4 more often) because Ben Wallace is capable of shutting down the paint by himself.

Barg or Aldridge could both provide a scoring threat to go with Wallace's defense. Wallace's presence would also make it much easier for either to develop. On the other hand, I find it completely useless to have Thomas (zero offense) along side Wallace.

At one point or another the team is going to have to score and from the low post. Wallace can provide shut down defense and take the pressure off Barg/Aldridge as well as Sweetney (they could all focus more of there energy on offense and boxing out).

Tyson Chandler and the idea of Tyus Thomas would be uncessary with a guy like Wallace. That means Pax would have the ability to package Chandler (and even Gordon) for a legitimate 2 guard.

I bet Boston would consider a deal involving Chandler/Gordon/our 2nd 1st round pick for a guy like Pierce (and if Boston won't, I guarantee we could work together a package for Maggette or someone else that would fit the mold of being a legitimate starting 2 guard; preferably one taht can score massive numbers when he's on, but also still put up the points by getting to the line when he's not).
bschmaranz
QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ May 24 2006, 10:18 PM)
I dont think we would sign him, if Detroit was smart they would do a sign and trade, and we would give one of our number picks and PTBNL.

This would make alot more sense for Detroit. They could then draft a replacement for him. Personally I think Detroit fans would love Morrisons play.

Sign-and-trade would be pointless from the Bulls perspective... we can get him without it, we have the money. If we didn't have the cap room, then the sign-and-trade situation would be a point of discussion.
HardWorkin'Hinrich
Ben Wallace would not be the low post scorer we need.
Cute Little Bulls Fan
As much as I dislike Detroit, Ben Wallace is my favorite from their team and I would welcome him as Bull with open arms.
Bullies4Ever
i just heard from Cold Pizza that Chauncey Billups said the pistons arent having any "fun"..... huh.gif
sport1016
Antonio Davis, Tracy McGrady, Eddie Jones..............

All pretended to be interested in the bulls to drive up their value, sound similar?

Just like how chandler and curry didn't get any offers last year bc everyone thought the bulls would match on them, the entire league thinks b-wallace is staying with the pistons, which allows the pistons to give him a medium sized contract.

This could very well just be him trying to get some leverage. If the pistons think he could walk, they will have to offer him better money than they would as his only suitors.
bschmaranz
QUOTE (sport1016 @ May 25 2006, 10:35 AM)

All pretended to be interested in the bulls to drive up their value, sound similar?

Completely different situation... back then our team sucked and it was run by Crumbs Krause.
Bullies4Life
QUOTE (The Gladiator @ May 24 2006, 09:17 PM)
When theres a will theres a way!! I wouldnt be suprised at all if he does that. Its not like he has NO offensive game, he just never shoots because he has Allstar players surrounding him. If he would know that he is THE Guy, I could see him avg double digits in a year.

Im w/ Bullies4Ever here....

-Ben Wallace is not a very good offensive player, period. He also sucks at FTs. Thers a reason why the guy gets most of his points by dunking...

I think there are alot of reasons why he wont avg around 12 points. And i also think he might actually avrg less than what he did in Detroit. I guess this is the time where i have to explain.....

-Ben Wallace had a good chance of actually scoring lots of points in Detroit. Detroit had shooters all over the place, and he had a great chance to do his thing one-on-one.

-Pistons' players know how to use Ben Wallace(alley-oops)and often look for him. They have good chemistry.

-Skiles has already proven that if your not very good on offensive, then he doesnt want you to shoot. Let others create for you. (Chandler)
WHarris1
QUOTE (sport1016 @ May 25 2006, 11:35 AM)

Not a valid comparison now that the Bulls have made the playoffs 2 straight years.
hammerhead johnson
QUOTE (Bullies4Life @ May 25 2006, 04:25 PM)
-Ben Wallace had a good chance of actually scoring lots of points in Detroit. Detroit had shooters all over the place, and he had a great chance to do his thing one-on-one

I'd actually counter this by saying that Ben Wallace has some of the worst handles that you'll ever see, kind of like Tyson. These guys couldn't dribble to save their lives.

And if you can't dribble at all, you're a weak offensive player by default.

Ben will score some points only if the opposition doesn't respect him as an option, and leaves him wide open right underneath the basket.
Bullies4Life
QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ May 25 2006, 06:04 PM)
I'd actually counter this by saying that Ben Wallace has some of the worst handles that you'll ever see, kind of like Tyson. These guys couldn't dribble to save their lives.

Ben will score some points only if the opposition doesn't respect him as an option, and leaves him wide open right underneath the basket.

ummm do you know what im talking about?... sry if i didnt make it clear...

I meant to say that Ben Wallace already has a good chance of scoring.. because of his teamates... they can spread the floor well...

BUT, Wallace is not good offensively, so he doesnt score that much, and cant that the advantage of that. And if he comes to the bulls, its gonna be the same story, except at times where not gonna have shooters everywhere (Chandler)

And my point is that Wallace might decline his scoring avg if he comes here....
Bullies4Ever
QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ May 25 2006, 06:04 PM)

Id have to disagree with almost all of this...

-Ben Wallace has one of the worst handles you'll ever seen?? ah no... he can dribble... he has surprised me a couple of times...
Ive seen him grab the rebound and almost go to the other end of the court with speed... and then passes... And I have questioned myself... How can Ben Wallace dribble pretty decent.. and suck at offense?? The guy has some talent.. but doesnt have a very good touch around the basket.. unless he dunks...

and if u cant dribble at all ur a weak offensive player by default? meh.. how bout Shaq? in my book... everyone can dribble if they are in the NBA.. they just dont show it...

and the thing about Ben Wallace averaging 14 points if he joins the bulls.. i dont know... eveyone remember when Chandler had some pretty decent #s in offense when Cartwright was coach? well yeah... thats b/c they actually ran some plays for Chandler... (alley oops, good passes by Jalen Rose with the sceen and rolls for the easy dunks, and putbacks) isnt it ironic that when Skiles became head coach Chandler has avr less points?? well yeah.. thats because Chanlder has a new role... they dont want chandler taking forced shots and clumsy shots.. they would prefer someone else taking the shot (especially if they are open)

now.. lets take a look at the pistons.. the reason why Ben Wallace scores points is because they have a couple of plays for him and they use him biggrin.gif

if he comes to the bulls.. do u think he will score more? considering Skiles is head coach? hmm.... who knows.... and Skiles is smart... hes a smart coach...Im with him... if ur not that good at offense.... let someone else take the shot.. unless u are wide open and can score... but dont try to create too much..... only do what u are capable of...

People.. plz face the fact that Chandler has a different role than when BC was coach... the Bulls use Chandler like the Bulls used Rodman back in the days (both weak at offense and both let other people take the shots.. they dont try to force anything)

lets go bulls! bullssmilie1.jpg
hammerhead johnson
QUOTE (Bullies4Ever @ May 25 2006, 10:50 PM)
Id have to disagree with almost all of this...

-Ben Wallace has one of the worst handles you'll ever seen?? ah no... he can dribble... he has surprised me a couple of times...
Ive seen him grab the rebound and almost go to the other end of the court with speed... and then passes... And I have questioned myself... How can Ben Wallace dribble pretty decent.. and suck at offense?? The guy has some talent.. but doesnt have a very good touch around the basket.. unless he dunks...

and if u cant dribble at all ur a weak offensive player by default? meh.. how bout Shaq? in my book... everyone can dribble if they are in the NBA.. they just dont show it...

Ben Wallace has terrible handles. I watch something like 30 to 40 Pistons games per year, including the playoffs, and I have seen enough to make that type of assessment.

Maybe he can run and dribble at the same time when nobody is on him. Chandler can do that too.

But when you throw it down to Wallace in the post and expect him to get better position against a defender off of the dribble? It ain't happening.

Yes, theoretically speaking, if you can't dribble for better position, or to create some space for your shot, you are a weak offensive player by default. Shaq can dribble. Duncan can dribble. Ben Wallace and Tyson Chandler don't have a prayer.
hammerhead johnson
QUOTE (Bullies4Life @ May 25 2006, 10:08 PM)
ummm do you know what im talking about?... sry if i didnt make it clear...

I meant to say that Ben Wallace already has a good chance of scoring.. because of his teamates... they can spread the floor well...

BUT, Wallace is not good offensively, so he doesnt score that much, and cant that the advantage of that. And if he comes to the bulls, its gonna be the same story, except at times where not gonna have shooters everywhere (Chandler)

And my point is that Wallace might decline his scoring avg if he comes here....

Yeah, check the post that I quoted. You said "Ben Wallace had a good chance of actually scoring lots of points in Detroit. Detroit had shooters all over the place, and he had a great chance to do his thing one-on-one"

I said that he can't do jack spiff one-on-one because he has no handles. When the defense disrespects him as an option and leaves him wide open underneath the rim for a split second, Chauncey, Rip, and Tayshaun get to pad their assist stats. He'll fumble the ball from time to time just like anybody else, but overall, he has nice hands. He just can't dribble, shoot, etc.

Terrible offensive fundamentals = Not getting drafted, and warming the bench for teams like Orlando, Washington, etc before landing in Detroit and establishing himself as a Top 10 defender in the history of the NBA. A major championship piece.
Bullies4Life
QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ May 26 2006, 02:29 PM)
Yeah, check the post that I quoted. You said "Ben Wallace had a good chance of actually scoring lots of points in Detroit. Detroit had shooters all over the place, and he had a great chance to do his thing one-on-one"

I said that he can't do jack spiff one-on-one because he has no handles. When the defense disrespects him as an option and leaves him wide open underneath the rim for a split second, Chauncey, Rip, and Tayshaun get to pad their assist stats. He'll fumble the ball from time to time just like anybody else, but overall, he has nice hands. He just can't dribble, shoot, etc.

Terrible offensive fundamentals = Not getting drafted, and warming the bench for teams like Orlando, Washington, etc before landing in Detroit and establishing himself as a Top 10 defender in the history of the NBA. A major championship piece.

PLease just stop... Im talking about how Ben Wallace isnt gonna score that many points.... because he sucks at it.... Yes i know that... I thought i made more sense in my second post, but i have failed....

All im saying is that Because he's in detroit (Billups, Rip, Prince, Rasheed can all hit open shots) he actually has a good chance of scoring. (if this was a solid offensive player, he would be able to score lots of points, because teams wouldnt double team him or else his teamates would make them pay.) Unfortunately, BEN SUCKS AND HE CANT TAKE THIS OPORTUNITY.

Im sry i have to put it like this...but yeah, Its like this... If u have a liabity out there that cant make shots, the player guarding him would be able to cheat off that guy and double team the good player.... In other words.... IF BEN was a good offensive player, he would take the advantage of other teams not being able to double team him, and would do his one-on-one thing, and thats how he would be able to get lots of points... BUT unfortunately, Ben sucks and cant take this advantage....

Now im gonna repeat myself... Ben had (has, Sry about the confusion, i guess i meant it as if he was on the bulls) a good opportunity to put up good points in Detroit.(Better than other teams because Detroit has good shooters) But he couldnt because he suckssssss. AND this all adds up to my original statement, that Ben will not avg around 12 pts, and probably wont even avg more here in chicago that he does in Detroit.

Again, Ben cant take the opportunity because he sucks on offense, and IMO the bulls have worser shooters than detroit, like Chandler, and even Duhon (players cheat off him too) and this all leads to what i said, he has a better oppornunity of scoring in Detroit than here in Chi-Town. IF ben was good, he would be able to go one-on-one against his opponent more than if he comes here to the Bulls. But im w/ you, he's not good offensively..and to a point, i know exactly what you're talking about and i hope we ca just drop this... im sry i messed up, now lets drop this and move on.
Bullies4Life
NEW- 6/3/06

Well the word is out... Ben Wallace really looks like he wont be back... Ben wants his money, and people are questioning if Dumars will pay for a slowly declining player.

-Also, people know that they see problems ahead w/ ben Wallace and Flip. They feel that Ben wasnt "happy" in like the last 2 months.

-Detroit fans really feels that this team needs a shake up. They went to the finals 2 years ago (didnt win) and now they just lost against Miami. So they think chances will be made. They think that Detroit was at their prime before, and now w/ Ben Wallace slightly declinning, they think its time for him to move on and get new players. Detroit needs to get better, so they feel that Ben doesnt fit in w/ their future anymore....

-Also, in the media, Ben said "no comment" when asked about his future here with the Pistons.
-Also, when asked where his heart is at, ben responded by just saying things like, you guys know where its at.... And thats pretty much it...

SOOO the question is... How bad do we want BBBEEENNN WAALLLAAACE!

I'll take him for 4 years 55 mil contract. blink.gif Thats under 15 mil a year... and by the time a guy like Alridge/ Bargs/ Thomas are due to get paid, we can let Wallace go or keep him and pay him low money to stay w/ us. Also, yeah Wallace will be declinning, but larter on our core will be better and in their primes. In the future, Wallace can even come from the bench and give us a nice 25-30 minutes. Chandler(i think he will get a little bit stronger and a little bit more consistent) and a guy like Alridge can be our starters. biggrin.gif So w/ Wallace, the bulls can contend now, and later on in the future. Sounds good to me biggrin.gif

Ben can help out w/ veteran leadership, and help out w/ the young big guys we bring in such as this years pick(s) and our 2007 pick (i believe it will be a top 10)

So am i the only guy here that wants him?
bschmaranz
QUOTE (Bullies4Life @ Jun 3 2006, 08:31 AM)
They went to the finals 2 years ago (didnt win) and now they just lost against Miami.

They went to the Finals last year too.

I'm starting to sour on the idea, we need a scorer.
Bullies4Life
QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Jun 3 2006, 09:25 AM)
They went to the Finals last year too.

I'm starting to sour on the idea, we need a scorer.

ha woops, i meant last year. smile.gif
sport1016
Wallace is definately going to look for more money than we are willing to offer. I would only offer him a contract that is slightly more than what are preparing for pryzbilla/mohammed/nene. He IS better they are, but he is also declining and not an offensive player.

4 years and 50+ mill has got to be about the limit.

Does anyone know what a contract like this plus a top pick rookie contract (over 3 mil a year for 3 years plus an option for 4th) does to our ability to resign hinrich,gordon,deng, and noc?

I would not sacrifice our ability to resign them in the future for an aging undersized center, defensive POY or not

ALSO-That being said, him plus alidridge WOULD make us contenders next year for sure.
The Dude Abides
I wouldnt go near Big Ben unless it was a 2-3 year deal which is impossible to sign him to. He is in decline, has had problems with Carlisle, Brown and now Flip....

The main reason is we already have chandler who is a joke on offense and mostly a defensive player. While I recognize Wallace is 10x the defensive player chandler is, we need low post scoring more than anything else.

However...if we trade chandler, then I would be very excited to go after Wallace....but not a 5 or 6 year max contract.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.