Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This is interesting!!
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
The Gladiator
I posted this on a thread that really was not related. Yama brought up the point that got me thinking.

Bulls versus Suns.

Before anyone trashes this comparison, please read it through.

The Bulls scheme is predicated on half court offense and solid, physical D. Given the rules changes, the NBA is hardly encouraging this type of play. If anything, the handcheck and other rules have made it virtually impossible to execute well. Its a scheme best played in the early 90's (coincidentally, when Paxson and Skiles were playing at their peak) and its rules.

I have read a lot on Phoenix. Their coach was trashed here last year for winning the COY, but there is a method to his madness. The Suns play "D" by playing one on one cushion D. They go under picks and give a good bit of ground. The theory is to force other teams to shoot jumpers and not foul. On offense, they play up tempo, but its not exactly the 80's lakers. They shoot a lot of jumpers, just in transition. Often, they are able to play Marion or even Diaw at center, because their schemes allow it.

A few stats:
- Phoenix actually shoots more jumpers (73%) than Chicago (68%).
- Phoenix actually makes less free throws (14.8 ) than Chicago (17.0)
- But they allow far less free throws made (23.2 to 16.9) because of their scheme
- Suns take the most 3 pointers in the NBA by a wide margin, but make roughly the same percentage as the Bulls (39.3 to 38.4)

I'm not sure that the Bulls will ever be close to the Suns, no matter the scheme. However, this team may be suited to play that style more than the Bulls current scheme. The curent scheme needs big men that can move very fast and block shots. They also have to be a big threat on the pick and roll. The Bulls don't have that.

Gordon and Hinrich are not good finishers at the rim, but they are great shooters when they take shots out of open court, secondary break situations. That's how Joe Johnson was able to shoot 48% from 3 last year and I think Ben/Kirk could do something similar.

Look at the Phoenix roster. They are basically Nash, Marion and a bunch of cast offs, yet they are one of the best in the NBA. The biggest problem for Chicago, by far, is the free throw shooting differential. IMO, this is an output of the scheme.

This is not mine, I cant take credit for this. Its from someone else that I read while I was in Study Hall this morning at Real GM lol.

Real GM

I, IMO would love to have an uptempo lineup but Steve Nash makes it look so easy and Steve Nashes dont come around to often.
SoxFan1
Thats a very interesting comparison but the Bulls just don't have the talent that the Suns do. Honestly, if the Bulls were healthy last season (Deng and Curry) I thought they would make it to the EC Finals and possibly the NBA Finals. That didn't happen and we ended up trading our only low post scorer and a veteran leader for a tub of blubber and an expensive contract that played like 4 games for us. The draft picks will obviously help us out a lot. With a possible top 5 pick and another middle of the pack pick, the Bulls can upgrade a lot through the draft or through trade. We have been in this position before.

But going back to the Suns comparison, we would have to start with a better core of players...one of which needs to be a talented low post threat. Aldridge is that guy IMO. Another option is to get a big name guy through a trade. Gordon and a pick for Pierce has been mentioned often. With the other pick, a low post threat needs to be obtained. Perhaps Aldridge could still be had...which would pretty much be best case scenario.

Hinrich
Pierce
Deng
Chandler
Aldridge

That is a sick lineup. A great mix of offense and defense. But, I think the most likely scenario is that the Bulls keep both picks, pick up some stop gaps in FA while still keeping a lot of money under the cap, waiting it out 1 more season, and then attack the FA market in 2007.
Timoperezrulez
If you want to win a championship, I suggest playing more of a half court style offense, and playing great defense like the pistons or spurs. We should try to model ourselves after the Pistons not the Suns.
Chisoxfn
I think thats a good comparison. In all honesty I think Skiles prefers the guard based lineup. However, unlike the Suns, I think Skiles puts a bigger emphasis on defense and he realizes that to win in the playoffs you still need to have a solid half court game and tremendous defense.

That said the Suns still have some low post threats and they have a superior PG (Steve Nash = Best in the biz) and Shawn Marion (an explosive scorer with size). That uptempo style of play is what best suits Skiles athletic team though.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 21 2006, 03:56 PM)
I think thats a good comparison. In all honesty I think Skiles prefers the guard based lineup. However, unlike the Suns, I think Skiles puts a bigger emphasis on defense and he realizes that to win in the playoffs you still need to have a solid half court game and tremendous defense.

That said the Suns still have some low post threats and they have a superior PG (Steve Nash = Best in the biz) and Shawn Marion (an explosive scorer with size). That uptempo style of play is what best suits Skiles athletic team though.

Marion also has the ugliest jumpshot in the NBA.
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 21 2006, 02:02 PM)
Marion also has the ugliest jumpshot in the NBA.

Ugly form...very consistent and good shot though.
bulls91
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 20 2006, 09:18 PM)
Thats a very interesting comparison but the Bulls just don't have the talent that the Suns do. Honestly, if the Bulls were healthy last season (Deng and Curry) I thought they would make it to the EC Finals and possibly the NBA Finals. That didn't happen and we ended up trading our only low post scorer and a veteran leader for a tub of blubber and an expensive contract that played like 4 games for us. The draft picks will obviously help us out a lot. With a possible top 5 pick and another middle of the pack pick, the Bulls can upgrade a lot through the draft or through trade. We have been in this position before.

But going back to the Suns comparison, we would have to start with a better core of players...one of which needs to be a talented low post threat. Aldridge is that guy IMO. Another option is to get a big name guy through a trade. Gordon and a pick for Pierce has been mentioned often. With the other pick, a low post threat needs to be obtained. Perhaps Aldridge could still be had...which would pretty much be best case scenario.

Hinrich
Pierce
Deng
Chandler
Aldridge

That is a sick lineup. A great mix of offense and defense. But, I think the most likely scenario is that the Bulls keep both picks, pick up some stop gaps in FA while still keeping a lot of money under the cap, waiting it out 1 more season, and then attack the FA market in 2007.

i think that we ahve so great people to look forward too anyways because there are some great Sg's in the draft that we can use like Brandon Roy, Ronnie Brewer, Mardy Collins are three great examples in the draft right now they could all became great players and would work well on our team. also i think that it will be set in stone that we will draft LaMarcus Aldridge for our first pick in the draft.
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (bulls91 @ Mar 21 2006, 04:10 PM)
i think that we ahve so great people to look forward too anyways because there are some great Sg's in the draft that we can use like Brandon Roy, Ronnie Brewer, Mardy Collins are three great examples in the draft right now they could all became great players and would work well on our team. also i think that it will be set in stone that we will draft LaMarcus Aldridge for our first pick in the draft.

I agree with you. That of course is assuming we are in a position to pick him. If we are not, than things will get very interesting.
B-4-Bulls
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 21 2006, 06:18 PM)
I agree with you. That of course is assuming we are in a position to pick him. If we are not, than things will get very interesting.

we dont need another undersized gaurd in our Lineup. We need BIG players like, Carney,Gay,Aldridge someone big that can take it to the basket.
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (B-4-Bulls @ Mar 21 2006, 04:24 PM)
we dont need another undersized gaurd in our Lineup. We need BIG players like, Carney,Gay,Aldridge someone big that can take it to the basket.

By the way, totally random comment, but was V for Vendetta good? I assume you saw it since you have that up as your avy?
B-4-Bulls
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 21 2006, 06:28 PM)
By the way, totally random comment, but was V for Vendetta good? I assume you saw it since you have that up as your avy?

YES!!!! biggrin.gif It was so cool, I went Friday night with some of my Buddies and it was one of those movies that made you think, you know? Like, Who is he going to kill next. The only problem but it didnt really bother me though was, that the movie somewhat portrayed him as more of a bad guy when he was really suppose to be good.
B-4-Bulls
Also, you know " Agent Smith" ? the guy on Matrix? he is the guy that plays "V". He is very good in this movie. Its basically a corrupt government and hes trying to put fear back into the government rather than people fearing it.

Very Very Good movie, Its my 2nd favorite movie ever!!
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (B-4-Bulls @ Mar 21 2006, 04:33 PM)
Also, you know " Agent Smith" ? the guy on Matrix? he is the guy that plays "V". He is very good in this movie. Its basically a corrupt government and hes trying to put fear back into the government rather than people fearing it.

Very Very Good movie, Its my 2nd favorite movie ever!!

Cool. I plan on checking it out this weekend with some buddies. I'm hoping it won't be a bust, but the previews were cool and its got Natalie Portman biggrin.gif wub.gif
B-4-Bulls
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 21 2006, 06:36 PM)
Cool. I plan on checking it out this weekend with some buddies. I'm hoping it won't be a bust, but the previews were cool and its got Natalie Portman biggrin.gif wub.gif

lol ya she is freaking hot in this movie, especially the Bishop part lol youll know what Im talking about when you see it, she wears these tight close and like a fluffed out skirt of some sort lol.

You will love it, trust me! REMEMBER REMEMBER THE 5th OF NOVEMBER!!!!
B-4-Bulls
Except when she gets her hair cut off, then its a totall turn off, lol o well......
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (B-4-Bulls @ Mar 21 2006, 06:24 PM)

That is definately true. One difference this year to last is that the Bulls are always in HUGE free throw deficits, and it never really allows them to pull away from teams, and seems to be the one thing that keeps them from finishing lots of their big rallies during games. They'll make it close, but then get buried from the freethrow line.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.