Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best Male Athlete?
TalkBulls Forums > Special Interests > Shoot The Bull
The Gladiator
Peyton Manning? Lebron James? Albert Pujols? Brian Urlacher? Take your pick?

Hands down its Albert Pujols IMO. He literally has NO weakness. If you can think of one give it to me? Of course im a die hard Cards fan but I still think its him regardless. Whats your pick?
Chisoxfn
Are we talking athlete cause Brian Urlacher for his size, speed, agility is better than the others with the possible exception of Lebron.

Pujols is a great baseball player, but thats not the judge of being a great athlete.

I should add that I think soccer players may very well be the best athletes in the world.
The Gladiator
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 27 2006, 05:27 PM)
Are we talking athlete cause Brian Urlacher for his size, speed, agility is better than the others with the possible exception of Lebron.

Pujols is a great baseball player, but thats not the judge of being a great athlete.

I should add that I think soccer players may very well be the best athletes in the world.

Its an Espy Question But I took out Shaun Alexander cuz I hate him biggrin.gif and added Urlacher...
The Gladiator
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 27 2006, 05:27 PM)

Its physically suppose to be impossible to hit a baseball. Albert is my choice through thick and thin, hes a STUD biggrin.gif
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (The Gladiator @ Jun 27 2006, 03:29 PM)
Its physically suppose to be impossible to hit a baseball. Albert is my choice through thick and thin, hes a STUD biggrin.gif

Albert is the best hitter in baseball today, I'd say that much. But in my opinion Arod is a superior athlete (he can actually play defense while Pujols is a 1st baseman).

Ichiro is a tremendous athlete (speed, strong arm, once again can play defense and is a hitting machine).
Beltran (5 tool players)

Basically put almost any 5 tool player is a better "athlete" than Pujols. Doesn't necessarily mean they are better baseball players.

For example, Peyton Manning or Tom Brady are the best QB's in the NFL (I go with Brady cause he's my favorite QB next to Favre) but they aren't even close to being the best "athletes" in the league.

I think the best thing to do would be whose the best athlete in each sport and than go from there:

I would go Arod, not sure in basketball (Marcus Camby is a great athlete, Kobe is a stud, Wade is very quick and in great shape...probably Kobe or Wade), football has to be Urlacher or Vick (both of those guys are freaks in terms of position and have a lot of ability). Vince Young is also a stellar athlete and a ton of the upper echelon cb's are very good athletes as well (add some WR's to that mix too).

Hockey well I don't follow it enough to say anything there.
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (The Gladiator @ Jun 27 2006, 03:29 PM)

Physically impossible, no, throwing a fastball 100 MPH is really going against physics.

Hitting a major league pitcher is right there with hitting a golf ball like a pro (300 yard drives down the middle, being able to putt, etc). In fact I think its harder because you have screaming fans and get thrown major tricks (curves, changeups, etc).
WHarris1
You are taking the word athlete way to literally. It is basically just asking who is the best professional sports player?
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jun 27 2006, 04:04 PM)
You are taking the word athlete way to literally. It is basically just asking who is the best professional sports player?

Wise ass, in that case out of the 3 major sports I take Tom Brady. I realize this year he didnt' quite get that super bowl ring, but man the guy is a winner in every sense of the imagination.
WHarris1
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 27 2006, 07:05 PM)
Wise ass, in that case out of the 3 major sports I take Tom Brady.  I realize this year he didnt' quite get that super bowl ring, but man the guy is a winner in every sense of the imagination.

Haha...if it were truly asking about who has the best athletic ability your post is spot on.

But if it really meant that there would be no way Pujols would even be an option.
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jun 27 2006, 04:07 PM)
Haha...if it were truly asking about who has the best athletic ability your post is spot on.

But if it really meant that there would be no way Pujols would even be an option.

Well why doesn't ESPN entitle it best sports "player" in the world or something like that.
WHarris1
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 27 2006, 07:20 PM)
Well why doesn't ESPN entitle it best sports "player" in the world or something like that.

Because they are ESPN?
The Gladiator
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 27 2006, 06:02 PM)
Albert is the best hitter in baseball today, I'd say that much. But in my opinion Arod is a superior athlete (he can actually play defense while Pujols is a 1st baseman).

Hello? Albert Pujols can play more positions than A-Rod can.. Lets see.. We drafted him to play 3rd base but then we got rolen so he only played there for about a half year, then he moved to Left Field wich he played for a year. Then in his rookie year also he played 2nd base! And then was moved to 1st where he currently is. Pujols is going to win a gold glove this year and is right up there with D Lee right now in defense.
The Gladiator
QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jun 27 2006, 06:07 PM)

Why wouldnt he be? huh.gif He can do it all. Its not like hes the slowest guy in the world. He makes diving plays hits the ball outa the park etc.. the guy is an athlete, certainly no Rudy Gay MJ or Reggie Bush but he would defenatley be considered an option in my book. smile.gif
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (The Gladiator @ Jun 27 2006, 04:36 PM)
Hello? Albert Pujols can play more positions than A-Rod can.. Lets see.. We drafted him to play 3rd base but then we got rolen so he only played there for about a half year, then he moved to Left Field wich he played for a year. Then in his rookie year also he played 2nd base! And then was moved to 1st where he currently is. Pujols is going to win a gold glove this year and is right up there with D Lee right now in defense.

Ummm....1st base is where the worse defensive players play, left field is home of the worse defensive outfielders and he wasn't that good at 3rd prior to getting moved (although pretty much any 3rd baseman in baseball would be moved in order to make room for Rolen so I'll give him that).

Arod has won gold gloves at SS (most difficult position to play...sans catcher, but SS is the spot on the field where the best athletes play now-adays) and has also won them at 3rd base. He hits for power, can steal bases and well is hands down a better all around player than Pujols (I didn't say a better hitter).

I'm sorry, but Pujols could be the best player in baseball (I personally prefer Arod, but I'm probably in the minority in that case) but he isn't the best athlete.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 27 2006, 06:43 PM)
Ummm....1st base is where the worse defensive players play, left field is home of the worse defensive outfielders and he wasn't that good at 3rd prior to getting moved (although pretty much any 3rd baseman in baseball would be moved in order to make room for Rolen so I'll give him that).

Arod has won gold gloves at SS (most difficult position to play...sans catcher, but SS is the spot on the field where the best athletes play now-adays) and has also won them at 3rd base. He hits for power, can steal bases and well is hands down a better all around player than Pujols (I didn't say a better hitter).

I'm sorry, but Pujols could be the best player in baseball (I personally prefer Arod, but I'm probably in the minority in that case) but he isn't the best athlete.

The One thing you didnt mention in that paragraph is.. CLUTCH, Albert Pujols is probably the 2nd most clutch player next to David Ortiz in MLB. Since 2003 Ortiz has had 10 walkoff hits while Pujols has had 8, Arod hasnt even had 4.... It all comes down to clutch in the playoffs. Last I checked A-rod chokes everytime he makes it to the bigstage. Remember Pujols majestic Homerun against Brad Lidge? That Changed Lidge IMO and thats why he struggles to get in and out of 9th innings quickly and efficiently. You have to take the "Clutch" Factor into Consideration when your talking about the "Full Package" Or as you say, the best all around player.

O ya, I Too am a Cards fan tongue.gif
SoxFan1
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Jun 27 2006, 08:30 PM)
The One thing you didnt mention in that paragraph is.. CLUTCH, Albert Pujols is probably the 2nd most clutch player next to David Ortiz in MLB. Since 2003 Ortiz has had 10 walkoff hits while Pujols has had 8, Arod hasnt even had 4.... It all comes down to clutch in the playoffs. Last I checked A-rod chokes everytime he makes it to the bigstage. Remember Pujols majestic Homerun against Brad Lidge? That Changed Lidge IMO and thats why he struggles to get in and out of 9th innings quickly and efficiently. You have to take the "Clutch" Factor into Consideration when your talking about the "Full Package" Or as you say, the best all around player.

Clutch factor!?!?!?

Chisoxfn
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Jun 27 2006, 05:30 PM)

Well in terms of clutch, I know Arod hasn't necessarily came up big in the playoffs, but I think he would be better in other stadiums (Yankee stadium isn't the easiest park in the world for righties to hit).

Oh in terms of clutch you are probably spot on though. Of course I happen to think the best run producer of all time is the other guy in Boston (Manny Ramirez). The guy is an RBI machine and if he had Ortiz protecting him would put up even more massive numbers than he does year in year out.
madisonsmadhouse
No love for the hockey guys? Give me Alexander Ovechkin over any of the guys mentioned so far.
HITStheDAGGER
They are all different sports.. In baseball i believe it would be Albert.
In Football i wouldnt know for sure cuase their are many athletic people.. I will got with Jerry Rice because he was in the league for so long and still so affective. And the most athletic in the NBA would be Lebron James... I would hate to say it becuase everyone thinks he can do everything himself even thoigh no matter waht you have to have a good team to be able to win... In hockey it would be Yzerman.. I believe he just retired a few weeks ago...
DrunkBomber
I think there is a big difference between the best athlete and the best at their position. I dont think anyone will think Manning is the best athlete in the world.
dasox24
QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jul 27 2006, 01:26 PM) *
I think there is a big difference between the best athlete and the best at their position. I dont think anyone will think Manning is the best athlete in the world.

Definitely. I think it's really hard to answer this question b/c there are guys who are rediculously athletic, but don't play as much as their counterparts b/c they don't have the greatest skill. And therefore, since we don't ever see them play, than how do we know what kind of "athlete" they are?
SleepyWhiteSox
LEBRON
DrunkBomber
Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson
eddog2
If your talking best athlete (not best player) it has to be Michael Vick. Never has a quarterback had such a cannon and the mobility that Michael Vick has. He may not be accurate enough with his throws, but he sure can fire the ball. Other then Vick it would have to be Lebron. For his size he can do it all.

I also think that Urlacher is up there (especially considering how big he is).
whitesoxfan101
In terms of raw athlete I'll go, since that's more fun to debate

NBA: LeBron, but Amare woulda been close before the knee injury
NFL: Michael Vick and Urlacher....I can't pick one
MLB: Grady Sizemore or Carlos Beltran
NHL: Martin Havlat, lol

In terms of best player

NBA: I still take LeBron. Dude does everything but drive the bus
NFL: Steve Smith
MLB: Pujols
NHL: Martin Havlat, lol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.