Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Will Ty Thomas Give Us?..CBF....
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Chicago Bulls Franchise
By CBF.. Your Game/TalkBulls Writer

Lets say for a second Tyrus Thomas is selected number 2 overall by the Chicago Bulls. What kind of game does he bring to the table? What can he do for us? I have a feeling these are the Questions we will be left with if we pick this kid (Wich I believe we will). Let me try to explain some of this as best as I can.

Comparisons:

Now all of you know how much I hate player Comparisons as I have stated in one of my other articles but in this case lets just see how well Ty Thomas compares to some of his "Supposeable" Comparisons.

Tyson Chandler- Heres one that most Bulls fans love to tag on T2. I disagree, Ill tell you why. The thing Ty Thomas has that Chandler doesnt is, a Jump shot. Granted its not fully developed yet wich would be forseeable due to the early entry but he can shoot it anywhere from 17-20 feet. I have heard in some reports of Tyrus' workouts with the Bulls that he shot extremely well from 3pt Range.

Tyrus wont have the role of a 3pt shooter by any stretch of the imagination if the Bulls select him but any increasing range is an added bonus for us because of his ability to slash and take the ball to the rim. Jay Bilas says in his analisis that Thomas is one of the few players in the league already that is able to grab a rebound right off the rim because he is so quick and athletic. Thats the only reason I see why T2 is compared to Tyson because of his raw offensive ability and his rebounding/sht blking ability.

Shawn Marion- As stated before T2 is alot like Marion as far as attacking and finishing above the rim. Also if he adds range that will make him more of a offensive threat sorta like Marion. I dont really think this comparison is very accurate either although its better than the Tyson comparison.

Amare Staudemire- Now here is a comparison that fits T2 well IMO. As far as the strength, Tyrus has a long way to go but im focusing on the athletic ability to go along with his passion. Thomas is as good of a rebounder and Shot Blocker as Amare but obviously not as good of an offensive game but.... Amare is about the same size and has that "Drive" that brings his game to another level as one would say. I see alot of that in Thomas. That is mostly why I see him succeeding in the NBA because he is willing to get better and do anything it takes.

Strengths: Freakish athlete, Exremely quick, plays above the rim, excellent rebounder.

Weaknesses: Offense is "Raw" not fully developed, not strong and doesnt understand the game as much as you would expect. Most of this is because he only started playing basketball his Junior year in Highschool!

I have never been one to neglect Thomas as a possible #2 pick but I still have my questions as does most of us Bulls fans but I love his Potential and why not take a chance on a kid in a draft that is "weak"?

What can you expect from Tyrus Thomas in his rookie year if joining the Bulls? I expect around 8-10 ppg and about 7-8 rpg. Maybe thats too much but I believe hes capable of puting up 8 and 7 a night minimum for us. So what can you expect longterm? If he develops his offensive game and puts on some weight you could expect around 18ppg and about 11-12 rpg. Why Not?

What is your opinion on Tyrus Thomas? Plz think about it before posting, dont just shut him down completly express why you would support/not support the decision of drafting Tyrus Thomas?
SoxFan1
3 reasons not to pick Tyrus Thomas:

1.) He is smaller than Rudy Gay.
2.) He has a little to no offensive game.
3.) He is smaller than Rudy Gay.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 27 2006, 09:54 PM)
3 reasons not to pick Tyrus Thomas:

1.) He is smaller than Rudy Gay.
2.) He has a little to no offensive game.
3.) He is smaller than Rudy Gay.

Elton Brand is smaller than most Forwards in the League Yet produces Allstar numbers year in and year out. I dont think height is a big issue with Thomas because he makes up for it with his athletiscm.

Also How can you say he has little to no offensive game when he barely shot in College? As a matter a fact he only got double digit shot attempts 5 times during the season. He was not the focal point of LSU's offense, his job was mainly to dissrupt shots and grab rebounds. He didnt exactly suck on offense. He has an offensive game theres no doubt in my mind but, its just a matter of him working on it during the summer and throughout the years as a pro.
HoofHearted
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Jun 27 2006, 09:49 PM)
Amare Staudemire- Now here is a comparison that fits T2 well IMO. As far as the strength, Tyrus has a long way to go but im focusing on the athletic ability to go along with his passion. Thomas is as good of a rebounder and Shot Blocker as Amare but obviously not as good of an offensive game but.... Amare is about the same size and has that "Drive" that brings his game to another level as one would say. I see alot of that in Thomas. That is mostly why I see him succeeding in the NBA because he is willing to get better and do anything it takes.

Amare is 3 if not 4 inches taller and a good 30 pounds heavier.

TT has a long way to go before I consider him as good at anything Amare does, including blocking and getting boards.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Jun 27 2006, 11:00 PM)
Elton Brand is smaller than most Forwards in the League Yet produces Allstar numbers year in and year out. I dont think height is a big issue with Thomas because he makes up for it with his athletiscm.

Also How can you say he has little to no offensive game when he barely shot in College? He was not the focal point of LSU's offense, his job was mainly to dissrupt shots and grab rebounds. He didnt exactly suck on offense. He has an offensive game theres no doubt in my mind but, its just a matter of him working on it during the summer and throughout the years as a pro.

Elton Brand also weighs 255 pounds and is way stronger than Tyrus Thomas. Not to mention that Brand has some spectacular low post moves; something Thomas doesn't have.

Elton Brand for Tyson Chandler makes me want to punch my monitor. You should be ashamed for comparing Elton Brand to Tyrus Thomas.
HoofHearted
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Jun 27 2006, 10:00 PM)

Also How can you say he has little to no offensive game when he barely shot in College? He was not the focal point of LSU's offense, his job was mainly to dissrupt shots and grab rebounds. He didnt exactly suck on offense. He has an offensive game theres no doubt in my mind but, its just a matter of him working on it during the summer and throughout the years as a pro.

Comparing TT to Brand is just asinine. Elton was an extremely accomplished college player with an all around NBA ready game when he stepping into the league. He also weighs 40 more pounds and is much much stronger in the post than TT. Please let me know when TT becomes half the offensive threat that Elton is, Ill be waiting a long time. He couldnt touch Brand as a college player, and he cant be compared to him as a pro.
ZoomSlowik
I'd say that Thomas isn't even as good a prospect as any of those three. Chandler is a lot bigger and similarly athletic; Marion was/is a legit perimeter player with better shooting range; Amare is taller, longer, stronger, and from what I saw a better scorer.

The best comparisons I can come up with are Stromile Swift, Marcus Haislip, and Darius Miles. All of them were solid athletes but had no discernable basketball talent. Sounds like Thomas to me.
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Jun 27 2006, 09:49 PM)
What can you expect from Tyrus Thomas in his rookie year if joining the Bulls? I expect around 8-10 ppg and about 7-8 rpg. Maybe thats too much but I believe hes capable of puting up 8 and 7 a night minimum for us. So what can you expect longterm? If he develops his offensive game and puts on some weight you could expect around 18ppg and about 11-12 rpg. Why Not?

What is your opinion on Tyrus Thomas? Plz think about it before posting, dont just shut him down completly express why you would support/not support the decision of drafting Tyrus Thomas?

Expect A LOT less than that. Think Chandler as a rookie numbers. He's very raw and doesn't have an NBA position. The only one of his assets that's at an NBA level right now is his athleticism, and that can only get you so far. He's probably not going to get heavy minutes as a rookie either.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (HoofHearted @ Jun 27 2006, 10:04 PM)
Comparing TT to Brand is just asinine.  Elton was an extremely accomplished college player with an all around NBA ready game when he stepping into the league.  He also weighs 40 more pounds and is much much stronger in the post than TT.  Please let me know when TT becomes half the offensive threat that Elton is, Ill be waiting a long time.  He couldnt touch Brand as a college player, and he cant be compared to him as a pro.

I wasnt comparing TT to Elton Brand, maybe it would help if youd read? I was comparing their heights because Brand is small like TT is, yes hes bigger too I get the point, Elton also had more experience than TT had in college to develop his game. TT compared to Brand isnt accurate at all and I wasnt talking about comparing them, just there heights. Seriously all of you "Think" You know the player Tyrus will be based on his offense. Thats poor on all of your parts. Im rather optimistic but come on. By no means did I say he was going to be a Superstar but I believe he will be a solid player for any team that drafts him.
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 27 2006, 08:04 PM)
Elton Brand also weighs 255 pounds and is way stronger than Tyrus Thomas. Not to mention that Brand has some spectacular low post moves; something Thomas doesn't have.

Elton Brand for Tyson Chandler makes me want to punch my monitor. You should be ashamed for comparing Elton Brand to Tyrus Thomas.

Brand also has the reach of like a 7 ft 5 guy or something insane like that. He has very very long arms.
HoofHearted
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Jun 27 2006, 10:13 PM)
I wasnt comparing TT to Elton Brand, maybe it would help if youd read? I was comparing their heights because Brand is small like TT is, yes hes bigger too I get the point, Elton also had more experience than TT had in college to develop his game. TT compared to Brand isnt accurate at all and I wasnt talking about comparing them, just there heights. Seriously all of you "Think" You know the player Tyrus will be based on his offense. Thats poor on all of your parts. Im rather optimistic but come on.

When you use Elton Brand as an argument as to how you see TT, that is called a comparison, even if its just about height. Maybe if you knew what you were saying it would help?

What you said is called a comparison like it or not.

There are also countless other undersized PF's who dwarf your argument about size not being an issue because they suck.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (HoofHearted @ Jun 27 2006, 10:20 PM)
When you use Elton Brand as an argument as to how you see TT, that is called a comparison, even if its just about height.  Maybe if you knew what you were saying it would help? 

What you said is called a comparison like it or not.

There are also countless other undersized PF's who dwarf your argument about size not being an issue because they suck.

It is a comparison; Height-Height thats IT! Nothing else.. I didnt say there games are similar I was just saying that Brand Performed well even though he wasnt the biggest guy. Please dont anger me more, Im just a simple guy living a normal life, just trying to give some simple analysis on a Kid that everyone seems to hate around here. tongue.gif

Guess its tough getting through people that are Anti-Thomas but one can try? Brighter days are around the corner when we ALL agree on picking Greg Oden with our number 1 pick next year. pray.gif laugh.gif
SoxFan1
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Jun 27 2006, 11:23 PM)
It is a comparison; Height-Height thats IT! Nothing else.. I didnt say there games are similar I was just saying that Brand Performed well even though he wasnt the biggest guy. Please dont anger me more, Im just a simple guy living a normal life, just trying to give some simple analysis on a Kid that everyone seems to hate around here. tongue.gif

Guess its tough getting through people that are Anti-Thomas but one can try? Brighter days are around the corner when we ALL agree on picking Greg Oden with our number 1 pick next year. pray.gif laugh.gif

I want Joakim Noah.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 27 2006, 10:26 PM)
I want Joakim Noah.

banghead.gif lolhitting.gif
Chicago Bulls Franchise
Now thats how you work your way out of an argument. biggrin.gif throw in a few smileys and you cant go wrong lol
SoxFan1
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Jun 27 2006, 11:37 PM)
Now thats how you work your way out of an argument. biggrin.gif throw in a few smileys and you cant go wrong lol

Unless you use smilies like fight.gif chair.gif stick.gif mad.gif
Kalapse
I think the point that most everyone is missing in all of this is that Tyrus Thomas right now, is a small forward. His height and weight says he's a 3, his agent says he's a 3, his college coach says he's a 3 hell even Tyrus himself has said he's a 3.

2 questions come out of this.

1.) Why would the Bulls want another small forward when they already have 2 of them on the roster.
2.) If you're going to draft a SF why now draft the player with probably the highest ceiling in the draft, Rudy Gay.

I don't think there's a player in this draft who would be a worse fit for the Bulls than Tyrus Thomas.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 28 2006, 12:00 AM)
I think the point that most everyone is missing in all of this is that Tyrus Thomas right now, is a small forward. His height and weight says he's a 3, his agent says he's a 3, his college coach says he's a 3 hell even Tyrus himself has said he's a 3.

That falls under the "Tyrus Thomas is smaller than Rudy Gay" category.
sport1016
I just want to know something, even from CBF or another tyrus supporter, I just need to know how tyrus is going to get his points at the next level?

Where are 18, even 14 ppg coming from?

Is it spot up Jump shots? Offensive rebounds and putbacks? Back to the basket moves?

I am not trying to be a dick about this, I am just honestly curious. I expect (considering we have chandler on the roster already) for tyrus to be some kind of offensive weapon when he is fully developed (so like 3 years). I am not saying first option, or even second option, but AT LEAST a third.

Call me crazy, but I expect the #2 pick to produce, and I am wondering how. And I don't want replies about his defense, bc I know about his defense and I can't help but recall we were already one of the best defensive teams in the league, what we weren't was a team that scored in the paint. SOMEONE, tell me how Tyrus is getting these points.
SleepyWhiteSox
If we take tyrus thomas, I'll seriously consider a personal boycott against the Bulls...won't do it but I'll consider not really following them so much next year...
Bullies4Life
a few concerns about T2....

-Can he put in more weight? If you guys look at his body, the guy is already somewhat ripped... Something tells me that he wont be able to put on much weight... he needs a wider body...

-Is he gonna guard those KGs, Duncans, Dwights, J. Oneals, Boshes? Or is he gonna guard SFs? Oh wait, we already have good SFs, right?

-Sinse T2 isnt really a 4... i would rather see him coming off the bench, and create match up problems... oh wait, will he be able to do that offensively? Create miss-matches?... Who knows. All i know is that he has too many questions about his offensive game... He hasnt proven much today, except that he can Dunk, has some1 of a jumpshot which he never really used much when playing at LSU, and is a "hard worker".... Big woop.

I really hope Paxson isnt drafting this guy just because he's athletic, and has lots of potential...
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (sport1016 @ Jun 27 2006, 11:25 PM)
I just want to know something, even from CBF or another tyrus supporter, I just need to know how tyrus is going to get his points at the next level?

Where are 18, even 14 ppg coming from?

Is it spot up Jump shots? Offensive rebounds and putbacks? Back to the basket moves?

I am not trying to be a dick about this, I am just honestly curious. I expect (considering we have chandler on the roster already) for tyrus to be some kind of offensive weapon when he is fully developed (so like 3 years). I am not saying first option, or even second option, but AT LEAST a third.

Call me crazy, but I expect the #2 pick to produce, and I am wondering how. And I don't want replies about his defense, bc I know about his defense and I can't help but recall we were already one of the best defensive teams in the league, what we weren't was a team that scored in the paint. SOMEONE, tell me how Tyrus is getting these points.

IF he ever gets to that point total, he's probably going to get them a lot like Kenyon Martin did when he was with the Nets. A lot of put-back dunks, transition baskets, alley-oops, and the occasional open jump shot. I seriously doubt he'll be a post scorer because he lacks any moves in that area and he needs to add at least 20 pounds to be able to hold his position.
sport1016
IF he ever gets to that point total, he's probably going to get them a lot like Kenyon Martin did when he was with the Nets. A lot of put-back dunks, transition baskets, alley-oops, and the occasional open jump shot. I seriously doubt he'll be a post scorer because he lacks any moves in that area and he needs to add at least 20 pounds to be able to hold his position.

I trust pax...............

That said, we draft Tyrus and we're fucked.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.