Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Real Big Ben Lands In Chicago
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Chisoxfn
The Real Big Ben Lands in Chicago
By Jason Gage

Chicago Bulls guard Ben Gordon, known for hitting big shots in the 4th quarter will have to push his nickname (Big Ben) aside as the real “Big Ben” is on his way to Chicago. Espn.com’s Chad Ford is reporting that the Chicago Bulls and Wallace have agreed to terms on a four year $60 million deal that will drastically bolster the Bulls front line.

In desperate need for front court help, Paxson opted away from the safe pick Lamarcus Aldridge in the draft and instead went for the potential superstar in Tyrus Thomas. Some questioned the move since Aldridge was a legit big, but Paxson obviously had a good feeling about Wallace whose signing is the first part of the Bulls off-season plan.

Wallace had a rough Eastern Conference finals series with the Pistons where he struggled against Shaquille O’Neal and the Heat. Wallace struggled more so than usual from the line and in general the Pistons played pathetic in a convincing Heat series win.

However, Ben is a former defensive player of the year and will join the best defense in the league (from a defensive fg % standpoint). This past year Wallace averaged 7.3 PPG, 11.3 RPG, 1.78 SPG, and 2.21 BPG. He’ll look to become the best starting center in franchise history and bring stability to a position that had none in 2006.

It is unclear who Wallace will play next to in the front court as Paxson is still fielding offers for C/PF Tyson Chandler. If Chandler remains in Chicago, he would team up with Wallace to form the top defensive front court in the NBA, but it would also be the most futile front court, offensively, in the league.

Some options for the Bulls are to move Chandler for an expiring contract to free up salary to resign players like Hinrich, Deng, Nocioni, and Gordon in the upcoming years. This could help keep the Bulls from going far over the luxury threshold (in upcoming years). As of now this may be Paxson’s current plan as the Bulls are reportedly very close to making a deal that would send Malik Allen and Tyson Chandler to the NO/OK Hornets in exchange for P.J. Brown and J.R. Smith. They may also be able to deal Chandler for a low scoring post player, such as Carlos Boozer of the Utah Jazz or Troy Murphy of the Golden State Warriors.

Regardless of what come’s next, GM John Paxson and head coach Scott Skiles must feel confident that they were able to get the cream of the FA crop, especially one that helps fill a major need (center).
Chisoxfn
Man, I'd be a fan of the Chandler for Harrington sign and trade, especially if we were able to free up a little more cap room that enables the team to land someone like Pyrzbilla or Nazr to go with Wallace and Harrington.
B-4-Bulls
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 3 2006, 07:06 PM)
Man, I'd be a fan of the Chandler for Harrington sign and trade, especially if we were able to free up a little more cap room that enables the team to land someone like Pyrzbilla or Nazr to go with Wallace and Harrington.

Hm, it would be better than Chandler for Brown thats for sure.
kapkomet
This is an impressive signing for the Bulls.

This gives them some guts that they haven't had and a defensive stopper.
Jordan4life_2007
Ben must really hate Flip Saunders. All it took was an extra 4 million for him to leave Detroit for Chicago? LOL.
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 3 2006, 05:13 PM)
Ben must really hate Flip Saunders. All it took was an extra 4 million for him to leave Detroit for Chicago? LOL.

He also has to figure he's going to be the main star of the Bulls and while he was the face of the Pistons you have a lot more potential to make money in terms of endorsements here.

The city of Chicago loves the Bulls and Wallace knows he has a chance to go down as a legend in this town and make a lot of money doing it.
Jordan4life_2007
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 3 2006, 07:18 PM)
He also has to figure he's going to be the main star of the Bulls and while he was the face of the Pistons you have a lot more potential to make money in terms of endorsements here.

The city of Chicago loves the Bulls and Wallace knows he has a chance to go down as a legend in this town and make a lot of money doing it.

I just hope he doesn't think they're gonna run the offense through him.
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 3 2006, 05:22 PM)
I just hope he doesn't think they're gonna run the offense through him.

He's not horrible with his hands, but he's far from great and he isn't exactly the best passing big, but I do think he could get some points down low and his scoring numbers may climb a bit. Not sure how much though.

Most importantly I hope he brings a championship swagger to the UC and will be the defensive stopper that he's been for a long time. I also hope the addition of him brings some respect from the refs and the ability for this team to have a few more calls go there way.
Chisoxfn
New poll on the front page about the Wallace signing smile.gif
The Dude Abides
Welcome to Chicago Big Ben!!!!!

We are going to have our first all star since MJ and Pip left!!!!

We are going to have the 2006-07 defensive MVP!!!!!

So long Chandler!!!!! No thanks for the memories.
JPargo
"Offense wins games, Defense wins championships"
The Dude Abides
QUOTE (JPargo @ Jul 3 2006, 10:23 PM)
"Offense wins games, Defense wins championships"

I used to have a bulls shirt that said..

"Offense sells tickets, defense wins the title.
SoxFan1

smile.gif
RME JICO
Detroit has to be pissed about this. The Bulls get better as the Pistons get worse with one move. I never expected this to go down; I thought it was a long shot at best.

Paxson is working his magic. First Kenny Williams and Jerry Angelo, and now John Paxson making some great moves for Chicago teams.
RememberThe90's
QUOTE (RME JICO @ Jul 4 2006, 03:25 AM)
Paxson is working his magic. First Kenny Williams and Jerry Angelo, and now John Paxson making some great moves for Chicago teams.

We have some great GM's in Chicago...outside of Jim FatMan Hendry. I hate that
guy.
ChWRoCk2
QUOTE (RememberThe90's @ Jul 4 2006, 10:18 AM)
We have some great GM's in Chicago...outside of Jim FatMan Hendry. I hate that
guy.

Most of this board does Im sure lol

Funny because I used to hate Big Ben until now.

Oh, and I dont see the garnett deal happening. Id rather have Chandler over PJ only because of age issues.
madisonsmadhouse
Wow. What a statement. John Paxson is not playing games. He is here to win it all.
Bullies4Life
Nazr just sign a deal w/ Detroit... So it looks like Ben Wallace really is ours biggrin.gif
The Dude Abides
QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Jul 4 2006, 11:32 AM)
Most of this board does Im sure lol

Funny because I used to hate Big Ben until now.

Oh, and I dont see the garnett deal happening. Id rather have Chandler over PJ only because of age issues.

I'd take PJ for a 1 year stop gap...He is better than Chandler, provides veteran leadership and is in the last year of his contract...which means more cap space for next year and not over paying chandler to score 8 pts, 8 rebs and 5 fouls.

The benefit of PJ is simply he is off the books next year, which gives us more money for free agency.
Bullies4Life
QUOTE (The Dude Abides @ Jul 4 2006, 03:05 PM)
I'd take PJ for a 1 year stop gap...He is better than Chandler, provides veteran leadership and is in the last year of his contract...which means more cap space for next year and not over paying chandler to score 8 pts, 8 rebs and 5 fouls.

The benefit of PJ is simply he is off the books next year, which gives us more money for free agency.

lol Chandler is the worst NBA player, right Dude? haha i dont even know why Scott Skiles even played him....
The Dude Abides
QUOTE (Bullies4Life @ Jul 4 2006, 03:28 PM)
lol Chandler is the worst NBA player, right Dude? haha i dont even know why Scott Skiles even played him....

hmmm?

Did I ever say he is the worst player in the nba?
Skiles plays him bc he is on the team and he was the only player with height other than Luke.

Look at what he gets paid, look at his stats and look at how many years he has been in the league.

I dont even have to make an argument bc the proof is in the stat line.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.