Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pistons sign Mohammed
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
cubssuck1
Free agent center Nazr Mohammed of the Spurs has agreed to a five-year, $30 million deal with the Detroit Pistons, ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher is reporting.

Terms were unavailable. Mohammed replaces Ben Wallace, who told the team Monday that he was leaving to join the Chicago Bulls.

Wallace, who agreed to a four-year, $60 million deal with Chicago, helped Detroit advance to four straight conference finals -- the first team to do so since the Bulls of the early 1990s.

Mohammed played in 80 games for San Antonio last season, averaging 6.2 points and 5.2 rebounds.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2509256

I'm guessing they wont continue to pursue Pryzbilla...
BigBen
ROFL, what a downgrade.
The Dude Abides
He's the best of what's out there...So, it was a good move-better than Pryzbilla. They are going to run more next year and he will fit in better for that style of play.
ChWRoCk2
QUOTE (BigBen @ Jul 4 2006, 04:43 PM)
ROFL, what a downgrade.

Nice deduction their Skip, if you watched what he did in New York 2 years back he was a stud, he doesnt need to be anything special with the players already around him, plus Nazr has some good potential defensively.
BigBen
QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Jul 4 2006, 07:58 PM)
Nice deduction their Skip, if you watched what he did in New York 2 years back he was a stud, he doesnt need to be anything special with the players already around him, plus Nazr has some good potential defensively.

I have watched him and he doesn't give 100% all the time. Dude gets lazy.
ChWRoCk2
QUOTE (BigBen @ Jul 4 2006, 10:58 PM)
I have watched him and he doesn't give 100% all the time. Dude gets lazy.

Here we go again. laugh.gif

Nazr was traded from Knicks to Spurs and put into a split role with Nesterovic in San Antonio, I dont think any player would be thrilled going from a starting spot to a possible backup role. Even though hed have the chance of winning a title. In Detroit he should start at center until further notice and should put back his numbers with the Knicks.
DutheDoduhon21
they are "trying" to replace ben tongue.gif

ESPN
Chisoxfn
They had to do something and he's the best center out there since Pyrzbilla just signed (in terms of FA). No he isn't Big Ben but he's solid and the Pistons have a good amount of talent throughout there lineup to still make some noise if all goes right.

But I do think they'll regret giving up Darco.
DBAH0
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 5 2006, 03:27 AM)
But I do think they'll regret giving up Darco.

That's Darko, and we're glad to have him. biggrin.gif
madisonsmadhouse
Pistons fans have to be reeling right now. And to think it all would have been avoided by padding Ben Wallace's ego a little bit. It will be interesting to see how far the Pistons fall next year.
BuLLzDoMaIn
QUOTE (DutheDoduhon21 @ Jul 4 2006, 11:20 PM)
they are "trying" to replace ben tongue.gif

ESPN

something they just cant do.
Da Bulls 88
Losing Big Ben, still hurts them badly. biggrin.gif
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 5 2006, 05:29 AM)
Pistons fans have to be reeling right now. And to think it all would have been avoided by padding Ben Wallace's ego a little bit. It will be interesting to see how far the Pistons fall next year.

I don't think its a whole lot, but thye may not have enough to make it to the finals. Than again, as of now, I don't think the Bulls have enough to do so either.
sport1016
Muhammed and Wallace with McDyess is CERTAINLY a good enough frontcourt rotation to make it back to the finals.

The problem is that the rest of their team, Prince aside, looked slow and old in the playoffs. With a weak bench and an offense confined to billups, hamilton, sheed, and scrubs off the bench shooting jump shots they need a guy like wallace to not just be a good center (which muhammed is), but the catalyst and energizer of the team getting offensive rebounds (led the league in that) when the jumpers aren't falling and making big plays when needed (which muhammed won't do).

SO, while the piston's will definately take a step back next year, I still think you will see quality playing from the piston's frontcourt.

They are still a team that will be in the second round of the playoffs, as they are still more talented than most teams, they just don't have what it takes to compete against the top teams in the league.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 5 2006, 07:16 AM)
That's Darko, and we're glad to have him.  biggrin.gif

Hey DBAH0, what are the expectations of Darko for the Magic coming up this season?? He'll be the starting Center, correct?
ZoomSlowik
I don't see Detroit taking that big a step backwards. Billups and Hamilton is still a very good backcourt, Prince is solid and looks like he just keeps getting better, and between Wallace, McDyess and Mohammed in the post they should get enough production. They've still got one of the most productive and balanced starting lineups in the league.

The offense will actually improve a bit with McDyess playing more often, and Mohammed produced pretty good numbers considering how little he played. If they could somehow add a guard that can score off the bench, they'll be right back where they were the last few years. They can still win, though their defense obviously won't be as strong.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.