Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Could we still get Wilcox
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
RememberThe90's
http://www.suntimes.com/output/bulls/cst-spt-bull05.html

Still available, however, is Seattle SuperSonics forward Chris Wilcox, 23, who a source said was third on the Bulls' wish list behind Wallace and Harrington. Wilcox, a restricted free agent, met with the Sonics on Monday, and the sides found they are far apart on money.

The 6-10 Wilcox thrived with the Sonics late last season after being traded from the Clippers, averaging 14.1 points and 8.2 rebounds in 29 games after the deal. He reportedly is seeking a five- or six-year contract paying him $10 million or more annually. That would be a money match for Chandler in a sign-and-trade deal with the Bulls, who impressed Wallace.
RememberThe90's
If we are talking about a sign in trade we would probably
have to throw something in besides Chandler...maybe one of our 10 SF's
or a future draft pick.

But a front-line of Wilcox and Wallace would be sweet.
madisonsmadhouse
Unless it is a sign and trade deal, Wilcox to the Bulls is DOA.
sport1016
THis is a very real possibility for two reasons:

1) The reason pax hasn't pulled the trigger on the Hornets deal is bc he is waiting for something better

2) Wilcox is looking for a salary similar to what chandler makes. It could be a straight up deal

That said, I feel like wilcox and wallace would perfect and make us contenders for years. Just as wallace drops off, you can move wilcox to center and start tyrus alongside him (hopefully) I am just hoping that his and wallace's contract don't stop us from resigning all of our young guys

Would reinsdorf deal with the luxury tax if he thought we were on the cusp of winning a championship?
madisonsmadhouse
The only problem with that is why would Seattle want to trade Wilcox for Chandler, especially when they already have a ton of big man projects on their team as it stands now?
sport1016
If wilcox doesn't want to be there, he can push for a sign and trade.

If he doesn't care if he ends up there, it wouldn't work bc seatle wouldnt have to do anything. But I could see collison and chandler as a decent duo.

If wilcox tells seatle he wants to be here, we can make that work.
soxfan101
I love the deal with the Hornets but at the same time I love this one much more. If we can do a sign and trade and get Wilcox I hope Pax does it.... we can even throw in somebody like a 2nd rounder/duhon/that SF from Portland.
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (RememberThe90's @ Jul 5 2006, 05:56 AM)

Its funny, one source at a paper says we aren't interested in Wilcox and now he's 3rd on our list behind Harrington. I guess the question is whether JR is willing to spend money and risk going over the luxury threshold in a couple years.

If he is he could easily deal Chandler for one of those guys if we could work out the salary figures with either Harrington or Wilcox. I'm a huge Wilcox fan, but 10 mill annually for a former 1st round pick who played 29 games as a starter (where he truly showed himself) could be insanely risky.

If he has a good work ethic and those type of positives than I'd say go for it, but if there are any questions about that than he could very well be one of those guys that gets his pay day and quits doing anything.
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 5 2006, 07:22 AM)
The only problem with that is why would Seattle want to trade Wilcox for Chandler, especially when they already have a ton of big man projects on their team as it stands now?

If Wilcox would rather play for the Bulls (and if we offered the same amount I really don't know why he wouldn't) than the Sonics don't have that much of a chance, except risking having an unhappy player (since Wilcox is restricted????).

I think the Sonics could value an athlete like Chandler too, since he could run with the rest of the Sonics.
Chisoxfn
Hey Mike, here's an article from a Seattle paper that may better explain the whole situation. Sounds like they aren't about to pay him the major bucks.

If Monday is any indication of the direction of Chris Wilcox's contract negotiations with the Sonics, it could be a very long summer in Seattle.

The Sonics will be hard pressed to get Wilcox with the midlevel exception. It's likely going to take in the neighborhood of $50 million over six years.

If Wilcox cannot find another deep-pockets suitor, the Sonics could facilitate a sign-and-trade deal with another club -- Golden State appears interested -- or allow Wilcox to return under a one-year deal, similar to the scenario of Vladimir Radmanvoic, Reggie Evans and Flip Murray last season.

That last option ended up being a nightmare for the Sonics, as each player reported to camp disgruntled and struggled before being traded. General manager Rick Sund, who couldn't be reached for comment, said last Wednesday that the team's No. 1 offseason priority was to re-sign Wilcox.

That possibility appears in serious doubt.

"We need to move forward in prioritizing Chris' best interests," Fried said

I should note that only the Sonics could offer him a 6 year deal, everyone else can offer 5 years if I understand the CBA correctly.
madisonsmadhouse
Yeah, I understand the Seattle really doesn't have room for the guy, but I don't see with already having terrible offensive/project players in Swift and Petro, plus drafting another one in Sene, what they would want with Tyson Chander? Maybe they would have interest in one of our many SFs/guards, but Tyson is something they have 3 of already up there.
The Gladiator
Chris is capable of 12 and 5 for the Bulls
SoxFan1
QUOTE (The Gladiator @ Jul 5 2006, 01:55 PM)
Chris is capable of 12 and 5 for the Bulls

He'd be capable of a lot more than that on the scoring end. He averaged 14 for the Sonics and I think if we had a lineup of:

Hinrich, Gordon, Deng, Wilcox, Wallace

that Wilcox could probably score 18 a game.
WHarris1
I would love to wind up with Wilcox.

PJ Brown S&T for Wilcox. tongue.gif smile.gif
sport1016
MAYBE A THREE WAY TRADE?

Seatle needs cap relief, as they are trying to cut costs to sell the team

NOK wants Chandler to be the defense bc david west appears to be able to handle the scoring down low

WE want a scoring big for chandler!

Seatle Gets:
PJ Brown, JR Smith

NOK Gets:
Chandler

WE get:
Wilcox

I'd throw in another player like sweets or Duhon on our part to end up with Wilcox, either to NOK or Seatle

Hinrich/Duhon
Gordon/thabo
deng/noc/khryapa
Wilcox/tyrus/sweets
Wallace/allen

Championship contenders for years and years and years
madisonsmadhouse
A deal of that sort is MUCH more likely to happen than a straight up deal for Wilcox. Its good thinking.
sport1016
The more i think about it the more i am hoping to hell that it happens

we do not nee JR smith, he will either be a locker room cancer or curb thabo's developement

wilcox would make us team to beat for the next decade
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.