Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: John's Brother Joins the Staff
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Chisoxfn
The Chicago Bulls announced on Wednesday that two-time former NBA All-Star guard Jim Paxson will be added to the club’s Basketball Operations Department as Consultant.
In making that announcement, Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations John Paxson said, “Jim’s hiring was multi-purpose. He’s played, scouted, and most important of all, he brings added experience and insight to my role having been VP and GM of the Cleveland Cavaliers. I felt strongly, that at this critical time in the Bulls’ development, an experienced voice would serve this organization well at many levels.”

Prior to his time in Cleveland, Paxson served as Offensive Skills Coach with the Portland Trail Blazers for the 1993.94 season. An 11-year veteran of the NBA, he spent eight-plus seasons with Portland, where he was a two-time All-Star and earned All-NBA Second Team honors in 1984. During the 1994.95 campaign, Portland’s 25th Anniversary season, he was chosen by Portland fans as one of 10 players to the Trail Blazers’ “Legendary Lineup.”

A 6-6, 200-pound guard, Paxson finished his career with averages of 14.3 ppg, 2.9 apg, 2.0 rpg, and shot .498 from the field and .807 from the line. He scored 11,999 points and became the first Trail Blazer to score 10,000 points.

In 53 career playoff games, he tallied 10.5 ppg, 1.9 apg and 1.0 rpg. He was traded to the Boston Celtics on Feb. 23, 1988, where he played the final two-plus years of his career before retiring at the end of the 1989.90 season.

Jim wasn't that bad in Cleveland, although he made the major Boozer mistake (and no I'm not talking about drinking). I think John is going to be able to put an extreme amount of trust in Jim and there may be some tight lipped type of stuff that he could ask Jim, knowing it won't get spread.

Speaking of Jim, this move could be interesting since according to a poster on Real GM (validity of this SHOULD be questioned) Jim has talked with Lebron and apparently Lebron is not going to sign his extension thats on the table and is going to start trying to force a trade to Chicago starting THIS off-season. Now it doesn't say we'd acquire him this year, but my guess is Lebron would be applying the pressure for the entire season and than next year basically demand a sign and trade.

I would spiff my pants if this really happened, but like I said, I highly doubt its true. The Jim Paxson joining the Bulls part, well thats true and from nba.com
B-4-Bulls
HOLY fish! ARE YOU FOR REAL?
madisonsmadhouse
I don't even blame Pax for the Boozer thing. The guy stabbing him in the back, and not vice versa.
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (B-4-Bulls @ Jul 5 2006, 09:51 AM)
HOLY fish! ARE YOU FOR REAL?

I'm not the source, the question is that source for real. All that said, if Lebron doesn't want to play he really has one option: CHICAGO

Why, because the only two options are the Lakers and the Knicks.

Those 3 cities are the 3 major cities and the 3 major teams in the NBA and you can make a whole lot of money in endorsements in any of these 3 cities.

Why not the Lakers: they have Kobe and while Lebron is a ver unselfish player it would make no sense for him to go and play next to Kobe who demands the ball to be in his hand most of the time (and Lebron needs the ball in his hands because he not only scores but creates).

Why not the Knicks: The Knicks are in total dissaray. If they weren't they could turn into players so if by some chance they figure things out they could be more attractive and either way you know they'll do what they can to get James, but in the end James isn't going to leave the Cavs to go to a team thats all messed up so unless Isiah turns up a miracle as the head coach and gets quite a few wins that won't happen.

Why Chicago: Big city, tons of endorsement money, home to his idol Michael Jordan and the guy doesn't appear to be afraid of being compared to great players. He'd also be able to come to a team and immediately become the face of the franchise with other players who really could mesh into the role playing stage so Lebron would be abel to run the show, but the level of talent around him would be very good, with him being in a position to put together a dynasty and a dynasty or two is what it will take to really give Lebron a shot at becoming the best player in league history.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
If we got Lebron David Stern should just hand us the trophy right now. But the question is, who the hell would we have to give up!?!?! Are Entire team?
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Jul 5 2006, 10:01 AM)
If we got Lebron David Stern should just hand us the trophy right now. But the question is, who the hell would we have to give up!?!?! Are Entire team?

It wouldn't be till next year so way too early to speculate that, just though I'd mentoin it and I firmly believe Lebron will be in Cleveland or Chicago and nowhere else.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 5 2006, 12:02 PM)
It wouldn't be till next year so way too early to speculate that, just though I'd mentoin it and I firmly believe Lebron will be in Cleveland or Chicago and nowhere else.

I thought you said, THIS offseason?
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Jul 5 2006, 10:04 AM)
I thought you said, THIS offseason?

The alleged rumor says this off-season he will start informing and telling Cavs mgmt of his plans. I guess the logic to this is that would make them be potentially willing to let him go when he become a restricted FA next year.

Otherwise LBJ would have to wait 2 years to become an unrestricted one. The odds of all this working out aren't that great, imo, but like I said he'll either stay in Cleveland or come to Chicago, imo.
sport1016
To get Lebron we'd have to trade Gordon, Deng and someone else, chandler if it were this offseason, if he's already gone than i don't know who, tyrus?

Hinrich/duhon
LBJ/thabo
Noc/tyrus/thabo
PJ/sweets
Wallace/malik

damn fine by me
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (sport1016 @ Jul 5 2006, 12:20 PM)
To get Lebron we'd have to trade Gordon, Deng and someone else, chandler if it were this offseason, if he's already gone than i don't know who, tyrus?

Hinrich/duhon
LBJ/thabo
Noc/tyrus/thabo
PJ/sweets
Wallace/malik

damn fine by me

or we could just sign him after this year? huh.gif
WHarris1
Ya that RealGM post came from April but was recently bumped with the news of Pax bringing his brother on board.

This is obviously way to good to be true, and has a .0000001% chance of happening...but why not dream?
soxfan101
While its nice to dream and i know u said chances are it doesnt happen.... its a nice thought. Ill believe it more if he doesnt sign that extension this off-season.
madisonsmadhouse
The thing is that I really believe a guy like LeBron James transends media markets when it comes to endorsement deals. Yeah he might be able to pull down an extra $5 mil a year here or in NYC, but in reality, he is going to make a boatload no matter where he is. I truely believe the only way James wants out of Cleveland is if he thinks he can't win there.
soxfan101
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 5 2006, 02:03 PM)
The thing is that I really believe a guy like LeBron James transends media markets when it comes to endorsement deals. Yeah he might be able to pull down an extra $5 mil a year here or in NYC, but in reality, he is going to make a boatload no matter where he is. I truely believe the only way James wants out of Cleveland is if he thinks he can't win there.

Im pretty sure or at least thought I read somewhere that in his nike contract or something he makes a boatload more if he is in one of the 3 major cities.
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (soxfan101 @ Jul 5 2006, 12:23 PM)
Im pretty sure or at least thought I read somewhere that in his nike contract or something he makes a boatload more if he is in one of the 3 major cities.

I think that is the case and he would get a whole lot more dough in a major market.
SleepyWhiteSox
LeBron in Chicago sounds way too good to be true...but I'd sell my soul to bring him here...

And yeah, I'll agree that LeBron has huge selling power no matter the location, but it could only get better here in Chicago. Hell, his shoes are atrocious yet they sell soo well...
AtHomeBoy_2000
QUOTE (sport1016 @ Jul 5 2006, 12:20 PM)
To get Lebron we'd have to trade Gordon, Deng and someone else....
Hinrich/duhon
LBJ/thabo
Noc/tyrus/thabo
PJ/sweets
Wallace/malik

I agree on GOrdon and Deng, as for the other? Might have to be Noc or Tyrus. I havent seen LeBron play a lot. He is offically listed as a SF, so we'd still need a SG (I think LeBron could play SG at times). Maybe the guy we drafted this year? Tyrus would play PF and Wallas would be C.

Hinrich / Duhon
Thabo / LBJ
LBJ / Noc
PJ / sweets
Wallace / malik
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.