Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stop Worrying
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
puckthefistons
I'll start this by admitting that I just found this site a few weeks back and don't read too many poster's comments. I see things differently as a basketball coach.
However, the few I have read really are way off base. Many people here have criticized the TT draft pick and the trade up for Thabo. Without going on and on I am just going to say that you know very little about basketball if you are against either of those moves. TT is a HELL of an athlete. I watched both THomas and Aldridge many times on TV and I will tell you that while Aldridge disapointed me immensly, TT impressed me A LOT. It was the way they played basketball. Trust me when i say Aldridge does not play the type of basketball we play. He is plain and simply LAZY and NOT physical. Meanwhile, we picked up a player who IS PHYSICAL and A HARD WORKER. Just because he is smaller doesn't mean anything. My best rebounders are the ones who know how to rebound and are physical, not neccisarily the tallest or biggest. Thomas is a basketball player. Also, we really don't need a player who has to contribute right away...which leads me to my next point...

STOP LABELING DENG,NOC, and THOMAS as SFs. Just because they are SF does not mean they can't play other positions. Noc and Deng are ferocious defenders who can defend 25 of the starting PFs in this league, if not more. If they havea problem, they can defend the C and Ben will guard the PF, most teams dont have dominating players at both positions.

Let's not forget that the NBA is starting to play more and more zone defense, which is contigent on speed, aggressiveness, and quickness. The Bulls have all of those. I would rather have Noc at PF in a zone defense than Sweetney.

Anyway I hope no one takes this the wrong way (as a harsh insult) and people look at this as something to think about. Scott and Pax know what they are doing. Just because you watch basketball and played in a rec league doesnt make you a talent scout and someone who should criticize the org for lack of size. bullssmilie1.jpg cheers.gif
madisonsmadhouse
Welcome to Talkbulls.com

It will be interesting to get perspectives from another guy who was involved in hoops from something more than watching on TV or playing at the local gym/high school.

bullssmilie1.jpg
sport1016
No one is criticizing the Thabo pick. I, like many others, liked him but liked Brewer better. That is, until I found out two things:

1) Many NBA GMs had THabo rated higher than brewer
2) Paxson has said thabo can play with Gordon as they can both handle the ball a little, creating a nice rotation where everyone can get enough minutes to be happy (JR smith, while a possible superstar down the road, throws a wrench into that rotation though)

As for Size and Tyrus, I believe the outcries are not due to his physical size, but rather the way he plays doesn't address our needs and that he is unproven as hell.

1) He's only played at a high level for half a season in college

2) He's not going to post up on the block (the thing we lack) but is a put-back, ally oop, rare jump shot scorer. This is nice but not a need.

3) He's only played pf for one year. He was a 2guard in HS (and not a good one). Considering we are stacked at sf, the fact that pax would take someone who not only doesn't fill a need but has a 50/50 chance of duplicating our strongest position irked a lot of people, including myself.

That said, people have come around. I think we have all realized that Pax didn't see his low post scorer of the future so sought to get the most talent and someone who could be our defensive big, and an upgrade over chandler once he gets strong enough to guard PFs. Getting Wallace, buys tyrus time to assume that role and gives him an excellent teacher.

All of this is provided that he can add weight and actually handle the position. I like the Marion comparisons, but barring a major trade involving our current sfs, if Tyrus ends up as someone who is really a sf in the NBA AND/OR Aldridge or Roy become excellent players we wasted a #2 pick IMO.
The Dude Abides
QUOTE (sport1016 @ Jul 6 2006, 12:06 PM)
No one is criticizing the Thabo pick. I, like many others, liked him but liked Brewer better. That is, until I found out two things:

1) Many NBA GMs had THabo rated higher than brewer
2) Paxson has said thabo can play with Gordon as they can both handle the ball a little, creating a nice rotation where everyone can get enough minutes to be happy (JR smith, while a possible superstar down the road, throws a wrench into that rotation though)

As for Size and Tyrus, I believe the outcries are not due to his physical size, but rather the way he plays doesn't address our needs and that he is unproven as hell.

1) He's only played at a high level for half a season in college

2) He's not going to post up on the block (the thing we lack) but is a put-back, ally oop, rare jump shot scorer. This is nice but not a need.

3) He's only played pf for one year. He was a 2guard in HS (and not a good one). Considering we are stacked at sf, the fact that pax would take someone who not only doesn't fill a need but has a 50/50 chance of duplicating our strongest position irked a lot of people, including myself.

That said, people have come around. I think we have all realized that Pax didn't see his low post scorer of the future so sought to get the most talent and someone who could be our defensive big, and an upgrade over chandler once he gets strong enough to guard PFs. Getting Wallace, buys tyrus time to assume that role and gives him an excellent teacher.

All of this is provided that he can add weight and actually handle the position. I like the Marion comparisons, but barring a major trade involving our current sfs, if Tyrus ends up as someone who is really a sf in the NBA AND/OR Aldridge or Roy become excellent players we wasted a #2 pick IMO.

I agree. I wasnt on board with the T2 pick...but obviously Pax had a plan and has executed it to perfection so far. I think that signing Ben and trading Chandler makes the T2 pick a good one.

I trust Pax.
sport1016
I agree. I wasnt on board with the T2 pick...but obviously Pax had a plan and has executed it to perfection so far. I think that signing Ben and trading Chandler makes the T2 pick a good one.

I trust Pax.

Exactly. When we drafted Tyrus I was like, well, for this to make any sense we'll have to trade Chandler and hopefully get short term help from someone like Wallace. Yippee. I can't believe it actually happened.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.